Were from Georgia and are moving to Texas , got some questions about the slot T

We are currently in Georgia, My son is a Quarter Back, we are moving to a Texas school district that runs the Slot T , 8th grade next year.
We have run the Wing T , and the veer, and some variations of other base offenses(power I,wishbone). Whats the deal on the SLot T ? Do you have a passing game at all in this system ?
What do we need to know about this offense that might help make the transition? if we want to throw the bal, should we be looking at another area?

[quote name="GDAWG1958" post="946343" timestamp="1294790792"]
We are currently in Georgia, My son is a Quarter Back, we are moving to a Texas school district that runs the Slot T , 8th grade next year.
We have run the Wing T , and the veer, and some variations of other base offenses(power I,wishbone). Whats the deal on the SLot T ? Do you have a passing game at all in this system ?
What do we need to know about this offense that might help make the transition? if we want to throw the bal, should we be looking at another area?
[/quote]

I am afraid in a slot-T, your son will pretty much be an option quarterback.

[/quote]

Grad is right, the slot-t is an option formation.  Recently alot of schools have switched to the spread.  If your looking for more of a passing game, you'll probably need to to look for a team that runs the spread.

[/quote]Must be a small school kinda district. All the big school districts out here in West Texas run the spread, the majority of the state that has a high classification school for that matter runs the spread.

[quote name="GDAWG1958" post="946620" timestamp="1294830540"]
Thanks for the quick reply's , From my research on it thats what I was afraid of. Its the Livingston district, I heard they had a pretty good team? But my guess is it would not be condusive to QB developement for my sons future.
[/quote]not for QB, if he was a RB it would be perfect

[quote name="WOSgrad" post="947085" timestamp="1294875367"]
[quote author=GDAWG1958 link=topic=78618.msg947082#msg947082 date=1294875019]
Well, I have not found a house yet, jobs in Conroe. Any advice on schools/programs for a good athlete ? He's a top Baseball player also,,
[/quote]

My vote, then would be The Woodlands.
[/quote]this^^^  just dont let him play Lufkin  ;D

[quote name="GDAWG1958" post="947082" timestamp="1294875019"]
Well, I have not found a house yet, jobs in Conroe. Any advice on schools/programs for a good athlete ? He's a top Baseball player also,,
[/quote]
Montgomery High School. In that area there is no better choice. They have great academics, nice athletic facilities, and are good in baseball and football. They take in the west side of Lake Conroe and the town of Montgomery as well as the country area around there. Thier football team went I think 4 rounds deep this year. Baseball is a powerhouse as well. He will get to play against great teams like Brenham, Magnolia, and several Houston schools, which are all really good in baseball and football. That would be my pick if I was moving around Conroe. BTW, The Woodlands and COllege Park are good schools, but thier 5A with alot of kids. Montgomery is a growing 4A school with not as many kids. Both are good though.

[quote name="Scalp'em" post="947365" timestamp="1294929525"]
[/quote]
Montgomery High School. In that area there is no better choice. They have great academics, nice athletic facilities, and are good in baseball and football. They take in the west side of Lake Conroe and the town of Montgomery as well as the country area around there. There football team went I think 4 rounds deep this year. Baseball is a powerhouse as well. He will get to play against great teams like Brenham, Magnolia, and several Houston schools, which are all really good in baseball and football. That would be my pick if I was moving around Conroe.
[/quote]

I agree with Scalp'em. We lived in Montgomery back in the early 90's and we loved it. Still have many good friends there. Great schools and a great community.

[quote name="Scalp'em" post="947365" timestamp="1294929525"]
[/quote]
Montgomery High School. In that area there is no better choice. They have great academics, nice athletic facilities, and are good in baseball and football. They take in the west side of Lake Conroe and the town of Montgomery as well as the country area around there. Thier football team went I think 4 rounds deep this year. Baseball is a powerhouse as well. He will get to play against great teams like Brenham, Magnolia, and several Houston schools, which are all really good in baseball and football. That would be my pick if I was moving around Conroe. BTW, The Woodlands and COllege Park are good schools, but thier 5A with alot of kids. Montgomery is a growing 4A school with not as many kids. Both are good though.
[/quote]

Montgomery would be a very good choice.

Wow,
Thanks guys, I really appreciate all this info. I dont know anything about this area so im kinda in the dark here.I just stumbled on this site trying to research the area for football and travel baseball, Im glad I did! You cant afford to miss out on that 8th grade,12u/13u year of development in either sport.
I will be in Texas on the 24th and will definately check these schools out. Montgomery sounds like the type of school and area that we are leaving so sounds like a good fit on the surface. (hows the hunting and fishing around there? LOL ) That might be a question for a different web site :-),

We love our football in Georgia, but have heard great things about Texas Football and are looking forward to the experience.  ;D

[quote name="GDAWG1958" post="947673" timestamp="1294959202"]
Wow,
Thanks guys, I really appreciate all this info. I dont know anything about this area so im kinda in the dark here.I just stumbled on this site trying to research the area for football and travel baseball, Im glad I did! You cant afford to miss out on that 8th grade,12u/13u year of development in either sport.
I will be in Texas on the 24th and will definately check these schools out. Montgomery sounds like the type of school and area that we are leaving so sounds like a good fit on the surface. (hows the hunting and fishing around there? LOL ) That might be a question for a different web site :-),

We love our football in Georgia, but have heard great things about Texas Football and are looking forward to the experience.  ;D
[/quote]

Hunting and fishing excellent.........

Montgomery 1932.5 students, Magnolia 1640 students, Magnolia West 1794 students as of 2010. These are 4A schools I would look at. The edge would be Montgomery though.

Conroe Oak Ridge 2685 students, The Woodlands 3782 students, Woodlands College Park 2565 students. These are the 5A schools that I would look at. The woodlands is a master planned community with all of the shopping, hospitals, eyc. that the wife would like, but it's more city like. Montgomery is more country style for now. It is growing, and it might end up being a 5A soon. Good luck on looking. Academic wise Montgomery and The Woodlands HS are top notch and some of the better schools test wise in the state.

GDawg, Livingston has had decent teams 3 of the last 4 years, but they are not a legit threat to make a playoff run and they don't throw the ball (Which I think is what kills them in the playoffs). They had a Sophomore QB this past season (C. Collins) and should be pretty good next year, but I would once again predict that they will bow out of the Playoffs in round 1.

If I were moving to the Conroe area and looking for what your looking for with your son, I would have to agree with these guys. Montgomery Bears (of Course without Dobbins in the backfield next year they may fall off a bit  ;D).
If they are moving to 5A it will be tuff for them to compete against the bigger 5A's like The Woodlands. Strength in numbers.

Ok, yes Im hearing alot about the woodlands, is Mongomery a county? or the name of a school?is it Montgomery High School/Middle school ? I will be in texas this sunday to start my job and start looking for a house , my family will be joining me when school is out for the year here in Ga. so that will give me plenty of time to go see the schools, maybe catch some baseball games/practices, and some football , maybe meet the coaches.
We are all excited about coming to Texas, I have heard the Hunting is GREAT!
Thanks to you all for your help, I have a similar post on a Texas travel baseball web site for 3 weeks now and dont have one response, I may be on the wrong one Im not sure but its the only one I have found so far.

[quote name="GDAWG1958" post="950538" timestamp="1295391633"]
Ok, yes Im hearing alot about the woodlands, is Mongomery a county? or the name of a school?is it Montgomery High School/Middle school ? I will be in texas this sunday to start my job and start looking for a house , my family will be joining me when school is out for the year here in Ga. so that will give me plenty of time to go see the schools, maybe catch some baseball games/practices, and some football , maybe meet the coaches.
Thanks to you all for your help, I have a similar post on a Texas travel baseball web site for 3 weeks now and dont have one response, I may be on the wrong one Im not sure but its the only one I have found so far.
[/quote]

It is a school, here is the school district's website:  http://www.misd.org/default.aspx

[quote name="GDAWG1958" post="947673" timestamp="1294959202"]
Wow,

[/quote]

The Woodlands & Montgomery would be great choices.  Despite school size, I say small fish big pond philosophy works quite well.  The fishing is great too(Lakes Conroe & Livingston).   

[quote name="GDAWG1958" post="950538" timestamp="1295391633"]
[/quote]
You can also check the Bandito select baseball organization out of the Woodlands/Tomball area for select baseball as well as Legends and a couple of others. If you drive on Hwy 105 west out of Conroe for about 15-20 minutes you'ss see the town of Montgomery and the highschool and athletic facilities are across the street from HS.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest ECBucFan
You are fortunate to have a number of good choices to choose from. I think your lifestyle preference comes into play, too. If you like manicured lawns and upscale shopping and restaurants, The Woodlands. More country life and outdoors with a down home feel, Montgomery.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder