Being respectful

Ok here I go for the last 2 years I have went and watched the Dayton/Crosby game and both years something happened that just really gets to me, why must a coach who is supposed to a mentor to our children show such disreguard for our flag by not being on the field for our National Athem. It really chaps my backside to see this because it is teaching our younger generation that bucking the system is ok. Now I am a father with a son in the U.S. Navy and as I spoke wth him about this it really made his blood boil as it did mine, if everyone will remember just exactly what the flag stands for and the price that was paid for defending it. It is because of the American men and women that died so that we as Americans can go out on a Friday night and enjoying watching these young men play a game. Correct me if I am wrong but didn't a Medal Of Honor reciepent live in Crosby and didn't just about the whole town come out to pay their respects when this man passed away, well folks I do believe that this gentleman would be real ashamed to know that this went down Friday night. Who cares about the rivalry this is all about RESPECT!!!!!!

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sometimes the kids have to find a way to take an opportunity to become a mentor to the coach.  Not saying that they should be disobedient but there are ways to deal with this. 

The father of the late Rachal Scott who died in the Columbine incident, told Congress that there was absolutely no way to stop those scared kids from praying in their school on that horrible day. They took it upon themselves.  Think about this. 

Regardless of why they were not on the field, you should wait for them.  It's not like your going to complicate a commercial break or something.  What's an extra few minutes.  Maybe some jack-leg locked a door or the clock is wrong in the delapidated locker room.  Regardless if it's the official or the coah, someone needs to be more patient. 

Greatness takes time to prepare!  ;D ;D

[quote name="bh89-2" post="894776" timestamp="1288719952"]
Regardless of why they were not on the field, you should wait for them.  It's not like your going to complicate a commercial break or something.  What's an extra few minutes.  Maybe some jack-leg locked a door or the clock is wrong in the delapidated locker room.  Regardless if it's the official or the coah, someone needs to be more patient. 

Greatness takes time to prepare!   ;D ;D
[/quote]
Greatness shows up already prepared.  ;)

[/quote]

Normally you crack me up....not on this issue.

[quote name="rollinac" post="894785" timestamp="1288720258"]
[quote author=bh89-2 link=topic=75432.msg894776#msg894776 date=1288719952]

[/quote]

Normally you crack me up....not on this issue.
[/quote]

Not trying to be funny. The title says it perfectly......Being Respectful.  Would you invite guest to your house for dinner and say the blessing and begin eating while one of them is in the bathroom?  Don't think so...you wait.  In both cases that's what should have been done here.  Now, that being said it is disrespectful of the two teams to not be on the field as well.  Two wrongs don't make a right.   :-\      

[/quote] Umm GCM didn't have a problem with the clock in the locker room... So maybe your coach needs a watch or needs to learn how to tell time.. Same with Crosby. and if some jack-leg (as you call them) locked the doors, it would have been ALL over this website... no excuses...

[quote name="WeedBegone" post="894813" timestamp="1288721287"]
I say UIL  comes up with  a 15 yard penalty to start the game ----Unpatriotic-like conduct.  
[/quote] Yeah thats a good idea

After the coin toss, they are supposed to walk the football in from the sidelines, reach for and throw the yellow flag and step off a delay of game penalty. I have seen this done in the past, but saw nothing on the two occasions it happened in Dayton.

bh89-2, on this issue, you're bs. Your comments about inviting guests to dinner and then blessing the food and starting without them is apples and oranges. I suppose to make it relevant, you might ask, "well, what if you invite these people to dinner time and time again and they keep showing up late, making the rest of the dinner guests wait on their privileged butts and wait on them. You cure that by sticking to ettiquette and starting dinner on time. I mean, they're still going to get to eat, but not at the same time.

I know airlines don't wait for "late" passengers and there are only hundreds of people on board that would be having to wait if they did. At these two games there were thousands, so the inconvience property was much greater. Besides, since when do the needs of the few outweigh the needs of the many?

There is no excuse for being late.  there are things called watches you wear on your wrist, more than likely most coaches, if not all coaches have cell phones and they also know how much time is left on the clock when they leave the field after warm ups.  You can also send someone out to look at the clock.
If the game has a starting time of 7:00 then why should someone have to go remind them that they have a game to play at 7.  They remembered to come to the stadium and they remembered to come out on the field for pre-game, so why would they forget to come out on the field for the most important time.
The officials can call a delay of game penalty on the team that does not appear on time.  I saw this happen many years ago.
With that said, you are still required to be on the field for the national anthem but I have never hear of a team being required to wait on another team that knows they have to be there.
Believe me there are many more reasons to be there than there are excuses to not be there.

I want to say thank you to your son for his dedication and committment and service to our county. I have a brother who is a Captain in the Army serving in Afganistan. He is in the thick of it all in special forces. I will keep your son in our prayers.
Now this issue, has anyone asked why he missed the National Anthem ?

I doubt there would be one. I must say this will be my last comment on the matter and the only reason I entered into the discussion was because someone or "one's" accused me of wrongdoing as the pressbox announcer by starting the anthem on time and not waiting, although to be honest, I did wait three minutes longer than I should have. After the national anthem, both teams still have to go out on the field for the coin toss reinactment before lining up to hopefully kickoff precisely at 7. This ain't Fox Sports where the kickoff is ten minutes after the hour.

It does beg a question, however, and I let some of you EXPERTS answer it. First to set the background.

There are lots of reasons for trying to get an edge for your team. I remember when Grant Teaff of Baylor took his team to Michigan to play the Wolverines. Their homefield policy was to let the visiting team enter the field and then once they were on the sidelines, the Wolverines would come out and 105,000 people would welcome them onto the field. It was quite intimidating. So Teaff and his team waited. An official came over and asked why they weren't coming out and Grant responded that the rules didn't require him to enter the field first, but in fact if it came to a waiting game required the home team to enter the field first. As soon as Michigan began to enter the field, Teaff told his team, "these cheers are for you so get on out there!" Baylor tied Michigan 10-10 that day and except for a missed 48-yard field goal would have won. This was well before overtime. That's an example.

But here is my question. Why would a team going up against a team with the reputation of destroying opponents want to do anything to otherwise make them angry. IF that was a tactic in these two games, it did not work. I have seen where a coach came out on the field to shake the opposing coach's hand and he would have nothing to do with it. I have heard of coaches shooting the bird acrosss the field or otherwise cussing out the opponent coach prior to the game.  First it doesn't relate sportsmanship very well to the team and teams are reflections of their coaches. Is this part of the game. Some of you retired or active coaches can address this question probnably better than fans. Comments from officials, retired or active would be appreciated.

[quote name="WeedBegone" post="894782" timestamp="1288720167"]
[quote author=bh89-2 link=topic=75432.msg894776#msg894776 date=1288719952]

[/quote]
Greatness shows up already prepared.   ;)
[/quote]

Very nice and acurate weed.

Next year I volunteer my services to stand outside the visitors locker room and be the official "5 minute till game starts knock and shout out" to who ever is inside. ;)
If they do not come out, I will give a "2 minute till game starts, get your arses on the field, shout out";D

[quote name="Matt" post="894958" timestamp="1288729894"]
Next year I volunteer my services to stand outside the visitors locker room and be the official "5 minute till game starts knock and shout out" to who ever is inside. ;)
If they do not come out, I will give a "2 minute till game starts, get your arses on the field, shout out";D
[/quote]

Too funny ;D

[quote name="WeedBegone" post="894813" timestamp="1288721287"]
I say UIL  comes up with  a 15 yard penalty to start the game ----Unpatriotic-like conduct.  
[/quote]

thats just like saying that there should be a 15 yard penalty for any team that doesn't pray.
although we all think it is the way to go, doesn't mean it's legal.
you cant FORCE anyone to pray or to be patriotic... that's there choice...
(and no, im not defending them as i am sworn in already, just stating the reality of the situation)

now back on topic.

i agree with both sides of this topic...
1) it is extreamly disrespectful to not be on the field when the national anthem is being played.
and
2) it is very disrespectful to atleast not send a ref to the other teams locker room to make sure everything is ok and to let them know that the anthem is going to be played in 5 minutes.

as someone stated.... there could be an unexpected accident happen or maybe the clocks were wrong or something else that prevented them from being on the field.

[quote name="FootballFan96" post="894978" timestamp="1288731504"]
[quote author=WeedBegone link=topic=75432.msg894813#msg894813 date=1288721287]
[/quote]

thats just like saying that there should be a 15 yard penalty for any team that doesn't pray.
(and no, im not defending them as i am sworn in already, just stating the reality of the situation)

now back on topic.

1) it is extreamly disrespectful to not be on the field when the national anthem is being played.
and
2) it is very disrespectful to atleast not send a ref to the other teams locker room to make sure everything is ok and to let them know that the anthem is going to be played in 5 minutes.

as someone stated.... there could be an unexpected accident happen or maybe the clocks were wrong or something else that prevented them from being on the field.
[/quote]

However sir, it is disrespectful as a coach  not to allow a group of individuals who want to pray to do as such
as it is disrespectful as a coach to not allow a group of individuals to run on the field and display their patriotism. 
He can at least give them that choice while he has the right to hide his head up his backside until they are finished. 

[quote name="WeedBegone" post="894986" timestamp="1288731996"]
[quote author=FootballFan96 link=topic=75432.msg894978#msg894978 date=1288731504]
[quote author=WeedBegone link=topic=75432.msg894813#msg894813 date=1288721287]
[/quote]

now back on topic.

and

[/quote]

However sir, it is disrespectful as a coach  not to allow a group of individuals who want to pray to do as such
as it is disrespectful as a coach to not allow a group of individuals to run on the field and display their patriotism. 
He can at least give them that choice while he has the right to hide his head up his backside until they are finished. 
[/quote]

and i completely agree with you.
but is that what happened in this situation? or was the time management pregame not kept up with or had an error with the clocks?
if that has been proven then thats one thing...
but if it hasn't been then i suggest everyone to hold their tongue until the facts are realized and you can toss the blame towards the coach having so much anger towards to other team to disrespect them, the city, and the nation for not showing up for the anthem...

all i know is that if the home team was in this situation, the anthem wouldn't have been played until they were on the field...
you have to look at both sides with an unbiased mind...
you have to give the benefit of the doubt that something happened to prevent them from being on time until the facts are out in the open...
if they are and i've overlooked them then i apologize, but as far as i've read, it's all been anger and hatred being spoken on this thread.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CougarCrazy124
    Newest Member
    CougarCrazy124