Hamshire Fannett-Rebuilding Year?

[quote name="outanup" post="883129" timestamp="1287715091"]
[quote author=bleed orange link=topic=74756.msg883123#msg883123 date=1287714999]
[quote author=outanup link=topic=74756.msg883107#msg883107 date=1287714447]
[quote author=Scalp'em link=topic=74756.msg883071#msg883071 date=1287712544]
H-F did have some good teams in the early 90's I think. They had a running back, can't remember his name, but he was one of the best in the area. They've been on a decline since then and haven't had anything in about 15-16 years. Don't have enough talented depth.
[/quote] Was it Felman Malveaux?   maybe
[/quote]

Someone correct me if I am wrong but I think he was a wide reciever. At least I think he went to Notre Dame as a reciever. Did'nt he go to Notre Dame?
[/quote] I was thinking Michigan?
[/quote]

Yes, it was Michigan

Guest bleed orange
[quote name="outanup" post="883129" timestamp="1287715091"]
[quote author=bleed orange link=topic=74756.msg883123#msg883123 date=1287714999]
[quote author=outanup link=topic=74756.msg883107#msg883107 date=1287714447]
[quote author=Scalp'em link=topic=74756.msg883071#msg883071 date=1287712544]
H-F did have some good teams in the early 90's I think. They had a running back, can't remember his name, but he was one of the best in the area. They've been on a decline since then and haven't had anything in about 15-16 years. Don't have enough talented depth.
[/quote] Was it Felman Malveaux?   maybe
[/quote]

Someone correct me if I am wrong but I think he was a wide reciever. At least I think he went to Notre Dame as a reciever. Did'nt he go to Notre Dame?
[/quote] I was thinking Michigan?

[/quote]

I think you are right,

[quote name="bleed orange" post="882998" timestamp="1287709433"]
[quote author=BLUEDOVE3 link=topic=74756.msg882919#msg882919 date=1287703569]
Championships are made during the summer. I'm sure the HF coaches are preparing for the future right now. It's all about playing for pride from this point.
[/quote]

Yes, the realignment has hurt the smaller schools (HF, HJ and OF). The OF and HF teams of the 70's and 80's would have competed and beat the teams of WOS, Silsbee and Bridge City of today. The reason is back then we was mentally, physically and tougher than the teams of today. Not to mention we was in way better condition. Can the smaller schools compete? You bet they can but not on a regular basis. You say summer workouts is what championships are made of. Back in our day there was no planned summer workout. We all had jobs so we could buy a car, fix a car, put gas in our car and take a girl out on a date in which we paid for not our parents or the girl. Times have changed and I realize that. But IMO not for the better. I promise you this, the teams from the 70's and 80's (OF and HF) would beat the teams of today ( OF and HF) by a lot.  We did not have better athletes back then either.
[/quote]"Back in your day" is long gone and times have changed since those ancient days. Back in your day you could find kids at the park or in their neighborhood playing sports. I don't know about you but I haven't seen a game in a park or neighborhood in a long time.
If you want to compete these days, you have to monitor your social life and time. And dedicate to your sport. If you just want to play the game and be average, thats okay too.

[quote name="BLUEDOVE3" post="883206" timestamp="1287721617"]
I think it's just cycles where you get in several very athletic kids who turn your program around.
[/quote]

This statement is correct.  Every program goes through cycles where their talent level drops off a bit then rises again.  Some schools drop off more than others. 

Why would you dedicate to "your sport".  How about dedicating yourself to your school and your community.  How many kids that "dedicated" themselves to a sport actually make it.  Kids should enjoy the whole high school experience, but these days they are not.  I can tell you from experience that Friday nites are fun, but there is nothing that can beat a Friday nite during the playoffs.  Kudos to the Trevin Sonnier's and Quentin Evans's and the likes who do what they can to support their respective schools and communities.

[quote name="attackpack" post="883461" timestamp="1287765791"]
Why would you dedicate to "your sport".  How about dedicating yourself to your school and your community.  How many kids that "dedicated" themselves to a sport actually make it.  Kids should enjoy the whole high school experience, but these days they are not.  I can tell you from experience that Friday nites are fun, but there is nothing that can beat a Friday nite during the playoffs.  Kudos to the Trevin Sonnier's and Quentin Evans's and the likes who do what they can to support their respective schools and communities.
[/quote]Aren't we talking about the same thing here? Dedicate = become better=winning school tradition=happy community. To make the playoffs, you better have some good darn toot'n athletes who will buy into the coach and his system.

Guest bleed orange
[quote name="BLUEDOVE3" post="883345" timestamp="1287758074"]
[quote author=bleed orange link=topic=74756.msg882998#msg882998 date=1287709433]
[quote author=BLUEDOVE3 link=topic=74756.msg882919#msg882919 date=1287703569]
Championships are made during the summer. I'm sure the HF coaches are preparing for the future right now. It's all about playing for pride from this point.
[/quote]

Yes, the realignment has hurt the smaller schools (HF, HJ and OF). The OF and HF teams of the 70's and 80's would have competed and beat the teams of WOS, Silsbee and Bridge City of today. The reason is back then we was mentally, physically and tougher than the teams of today. Not to mention we was in way better condition. Can the smaller schools compete? You bet they can but not on a regular basis. You say summer workouts is what championships are made of. Back in our day there was no planned summer workout. We all had jobs so we could buy a car, fix a car, put gas in our car and take a girl out on a date in which we paid for not our parents or the girl. Times have changed and I realize that. But IMO not for the better. I promise you this, the teams from the 70's and 80's (OF and HF) would beat the teams of today ( OF and HF) by a lot.  We did not have better athletes back then either.
[/quote]"Back in your day" is long gone and times have changed since those ancient days. Back in your day you could find kids at the park or in their neighborhood playing sports. I don't know about you but I haven't seen a game in a park or neighborhood in a long time.
If you want to compete these days, you have to monitor your social life and time. And dedicate to your sport. If you just want to play the game and be average, thats okay too.
[/quote]

You are correct bluedove. We talk about this subject all the time. We had neighborhood football games all the time. We did not want to stay in the house because our parents would find us something to do. ;D ;D I don't know about ancient. Thats a little strong, I am not that old. LOL!!!!

Guest bleed orange
[quote name="attackpack" post="883461" timestamp="1287765791"]
Why would you dedicate to "your sport".  How about dedicating yourself to your school and your community.  How many kids that "dedicated" themselves to a sport actually make it.  Kids should enjoy the whole high school experience, but these days they are not.  I can tell you from experience that Friday nites are fun, but there is nothing that can beat a Friday nite during the playoffs.  Kudos to the Trevin Sonnier's and Quentin Evans's and the likes who do what they can to support their respective schools and communities.
[/quote]

Good post. When you live in a small community you need your best athletes to play multiple sports. If kids at a small school start specializing in one sport (trend is happening as we speak) the programs so to speak are doomed. I realize it is up to that kid but they will have regrets if they choose to specialize. I also agree with the comment about kids should enjoy their high school experience. I enjoyed mine, my kids were less fortunate.

Granted, there is now a thin line between specialization versus playing multiple sports. The environment within youth sports dictates that kids specialize now. You can see the difference in kids who play select sports and those who don't. Football has become specialized too. I saw some beasts this summer playing 7 on 7 football at a national tournament.

[quote name="BLUEDOVE3" post="883790" timestamp="1287783513"]
Granted, there is now a thin line between specialization versus playing multiple sports. The environment within youth sports dictates that kids specialize now. You can see the difference in kids who play select sports and those who don't. Football has become specialized too. I saw some beasts this summer playing 7 on 7 football at a national tournament.
[/quote]

It all boils down to the almighty dollar..All kids or most of them have dreams of playing college ball, then the NFL..When pro football players make the kind of money they make it will always be an instant draw for kids to have that dream of being rich & famous,Iv'e heard pro football players being interviewed on tv and saying.."I love this game I would play it,even if they didn't pay me"...bull crap.Pay'em minimum wage and see how many you have suited out on Sunday..lol  I can guarantee you won't have a team... ;D ;D

My dad coached at H-F back in the late 70's till the mid 80's and they were always good.  He still talks of the days with Flip and company.....I also remember Dennis Malveaux (Felman's older brother), John Johnson and others.....Great athletes.  I played against H-F in the 90's and they were always good...Spencer George was one of the best running backs that I ever played against.

H-F can get "it" back, but it takes time.....unless you just get a ridiculous amount of talent come through.  I can tell you that when I went to Stephenville, we were always one of the smallest 4A schools in the state and look what we did....and I promise you that we didn't have more talent than Ennis, Denton Ryan, SLC, Denison, and LaMarque.  You gotta believe and buy into what the coaches are selling...I can tell you with 100% certainty that we never thought we were going to lose a game....we went into every game trying to see how bad we could beat people, within a certain realm of sportsmanship.  Call it what you want, but one of our goals was to always watch the game by the end of the 3rd Qtr. 

H-F is no different than Stephenville or any other small town...it can happen and if you don't believe it, I can promise you it will never happen.  It has to start somewhere, so why not start it today!

Good luck to H-F.....that is my hometown and I'm proud of it!!! 

Guest bleed orange
[quote name="stevieray" post="883910" timestamp="1287792764"]
My dad coached at H-F back in the late 70's till the mid 80's and they were always good.  He still talks of the days with Flip and company.....I also remember Dennis Malveaux (Felman's older brother), John Johnson and others.....Great athletes.  I played against H-F in the 90's and they were always good...Spencer George was one of the best running backs that I ever played against.

H-F can get "it" back, but it takes time.....unless you just get a ridiculous amount of talent come through.  I can tell you that when I went to Stephenville, we were always one of the smallest 4A schools in the state and look what we did....and I promise you that we didn't have more talent than Ennis, Denton Ryan, SLC, Denison, and LaMarque.  You gotta believe and buy into what the coaches are selling...I can tell you with 100% certainty that we never thought we were going to lose a game....we went into every game trying to see how bad we could beat people, within a certain realm of sportsmanship.  Call it what you want, but one of our goals was to always watch the game by the end of the 3rd Qtr. 

H-F is no different than Stephenville or any other small town...it can happen and if you don't believe it, I can promise you it will never happen.  It has to start somewhere, so why not start it today!

Good luck to H-F.....that is my hometown and I'm proud of it!!! 

[/quote]

Good post stevieray. the only problem is back then parents let the coaches coach. Now it is a different story. Sad!!!!!!!!!!!

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    TankParrish83
    Newest Member
    TankParrish83