Question about WOS

[quote name="FootballFan96" post="872860" timestamp="1286858662"]
dont tell me any names, but can you tell me the reason for the ineligibility?
you've got me wondering now.
[/quote]

The ineligible player, if I remember correctly, had an incomplete status in one of his classes.

[quote name="WOSgrad" post="872868" timestamp="1286859152"]
[quote author=FootballFan96 link=topic=74269.msg872860#msg872860 date=1286858662]
[/quote]

The ineligible player, if I remember correctly, had an incomplete status in one of his classes.
[/quote]

and im assuming this wasn't know by the coaches for whatever reason?
or
was it a big game that was a must win?

remember anything? lol

[quote name="FootballFan96" post="872870" timestamp="1286859262"]
[quote author=WOSgrad link=topic=74269.msg872868#msg872868 date=1286859152]
[quote author=FootballFan96 link=topic=74269.msg872860#msg872860 date=1286858662]
[/quote]

[/quote]

or

remember anything? lol
[/quote]

You are going to make me open some old wounds which will result in wild accusations and even wilder denials.  But here goes.  Because of some sort of ambiguity, the coaches were not aware of the ineligible player, who played in all district games except for the last one.  Thus, WO-S had to forfeit those wins.  The infraction was reported by a team in the district who is rumored to have had the information about the alleged player for several weeks, yet did not report it and appeared to gain advantage, including the scoring of a late touchdown that at the time appeared to be just running up the score but ultimately helped that school in a tiebreaker with other schools which did not have the rumored inside knowledge that this other school had.

[quote name="WOSgrad" post="872885" timestamp="1286860332"]
[quote author=FootballFan96 link=topic=74269.msg872870#msg872870 date=1286859262]
[/quote]

[/quote]

or

remember anything? lol
[/quote]

You are going to make me open some old wounds which will result in wild accusations and even wilder denials.  But here goes.  Because of some sort of ambiguity, the coaches were not aware of the ineligible player, who played in all district games except for the last one.  Thus, WO-S had to forfeit those wins.  The infraction was reported by a team in the district who is rumored to have had the information about the alleged player for several weeks, yet did not report it and appeared to gain advantage, including the scoring of a late touchdown that at the time appeared to be just running up the score but ultimately helped that school in a tiebreaker with other schools which did not have the rumored inside knowledge that this other school had.
[/quote]

so basically, the word on the street was that a team in district knew about everything and wasn't going to say anything untill WOS "ran the score" up on another team to make their team better off in the district / playoffs?

[quote name="FootballFan96" post="872886" timestamp="1286860580"]
[quote author=WOSgrad link=topic=74269.msg872885#msg872885 date=1286860332]
[quote author=FootballFan96 link=topic=74269.msg872870#msg872870 date=1286859262]
[/quote]

[/quote]

or

remember anything? lol
[/quote]

You are going to make me open some old wounds which will result in wild accusations and even wilder denials.  But here goes.  Because of some sort of ambiguity, the coaches were not aware of the ineligible player, who played in all district games except for the last one.  Thus, WO-S had to forfeit those wins.  The infraction was reported by a team in the district who is rumored to have had the information about the alleged player for several weeks, yet did not report it and appeared to gain advantage, including the scoring of a late touchdown that at the time appeared to be just running up the score but ultimately helped that school in a tiebreaker with other schools which did not have the rumored inside knowledge that this other school had.
[/quote]

so basically, the word on the street was that a team in district knew about everything and wasn't going to say anything untill WOS "ran the score" up on another team to make their team better off in the district / playoffs?
[/quote]

Not exactly, there is no doubt that this other team knew about it as they produced the actual gradebook page of the teacher of the class in question at the executive committee meeting.  The word on the street is that they knew about the situation, yet sat on the information until WO-S had used this player in enough games to prevent them from being able to recover from any forfeits to make the playoffs.  Further, that they, being the team that reported WO-S, scored a late touchdown in the game the week before they reported instead of running out the clock for at the time appeared to be for no good reason.  That touchdown was the difference in a tiebreaker that ultimately vaulted the team that reported WOS into the playoffs.

...and the kid had an incomplete because he had an assignment that he needed to turn in. The kid turned in the assignment, but before the teacher could change it to a passing grade, we had an evacuation due to a hurricane. When the teacher got back it was past the grade deadline. The kid was passing, but because he had an "I" at the deadline, the UIL ruled that it was not a passing grade and that the kid was ineligible. The UIL has since changed their stance on this.

The UIL didn't rule that it was not a passing grade, they ruled that it did not get into the computer system in time.  The kid was allowed to keep his passing grade, from what I understood, along with the other 10 kids who were given the same opportunity to make up the grade.  That's what never made sense.  He got to keep the passing grade but was still declared ineligible by the DEC.  UIL refused to overturn the DEC.

wow, i opened up a topic that seems i should have left closed, lol.
but yet after everything i read i keep getting even more curious.

what school brought forward the complaint?

and

if the student had the passing grade and a natural disaster prevented the teacher from proving it before the deadline, why wouldn't the UIL over rule it?

[quote name="FootballFan96" post="873669" timestamp="1286942957"]

and

if the student had the passing grade and a natural disaster prevented the teacher from proving it before the deadline, why wouldn't the UIL over rule it?
[/quote]

I think it best that the reporting school only be known to those who remember it and as to your second question, many have been waiting almost 20 years for the answer to that question.

[quote name="WOSgrad" post="873678" timestamp="1286943714"]
[quote author=FootballFan96 link=topic=74269.msg873669#msg873669 date=1286942957]

and

[/quote]

I think it best that the reporting school only be known to those who remember it and as to your second question, many have been waiting almost 20 years for the answer to that question.
[/quote]

well said, WOSgrad.  If I might add though, I would like to say that apparently there was a TEA rule that an "I" should have been used to designate an incomplete grade.  Many WOS teachers, along with a host of other schools across the state, were completely unaware of the rule and continued to use a zero and when the student made up the work, the teacher changed it from a zero to the averaged grade that included the make-up work.  The class in question regarding the ineligible player was chemistry.  The coaching staff had nothing whatsoever to do with the grade change nor did they even know anything about it until the district executive committee showed up at the school to "investigate".  It was most distressing that the school that withheld the information was also the district chair that year, which meant they were leading the investigation and allegations of "cheating" on the part of WOS were strewn throughout the district, when it was proven and stated publicly that there was no intent to deceive or to gain an unfair advantage by the oversight. ( Alot of people were completely misinformed about the situation and were flat-out told that WOS was cheating.)  I am glad those who were involved are all gone with the wind now.  It makes for a much more pleasant community.

[quote name="w" post="874292" timestamp="1287019830"]
[quote author=WOSgrad link=topic=74269.msg873678#msg873678 date=1286943714]
[quote author=FootballFan96 link=topic=74269.msg873669#msg873669 date=1286942957]

and

[/quote]

[/quote]

well said, WOSgrad.  If I might add though, I would like to say that apparently there was a TEA rule that an "I" should have been used to designate an incomplete grade.  Many WOS teachers, along with a host of other schools across the state, were completely unaware of the rule and continued to use a zero and when the student made up the work, the teacher changed it from a zero to the averaged grade that included the make-up work.  The class in question regarding the ineligible player was chemistry.  The coaching staff had nothing whatsoever to do with the grade change nor did they even know anything about it until the district executive committee showed up at the school to "investigate".  It was most distressing that the school that withheld the information was also the district chair that year, which meant they were leading the investigation and allegations of "cheating" on the part of WOS were strewn throughout the district, when it was proven and stated publicly that there was no intent to deceive or to gain an unfair advantage by the oversight. ( Alot of people were completely misinformed about the situation and were flat-out told that WOS was cheating.)  I am glad those who were involved are all gone with the wind now.  It makes for a much more pleasant community.
[/quote]
Wasn't the "ineligible" player on the freshman team?

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    cfbswami
    Newest Member
    cfbswami