West Orange-Stark vs. Hamshire-Fannett Game Thread/63-0 WO-S/Comments

[quote name="WOSgrad" post="870189" timestamp="1286609354"]
[quote author=ispeakjive link=topic=74149.msg870030#msg870030 date=1286599157]
Nice to see Hooks staying classy with the big blowouts in his old age. 
[/quote]

And just exactly what was Coach Hooks supposed to do?  The Mustangs had a quarterback making only his second varsity start, they were without their leading receiver AND one of their defensive leaders.  They kick a field goal and their last points came on a fumble return. 
[/quote] You took the words right out of my mouth.

Like some of you have mentioned, the new QB needed work and he needed it against a live opponent, something you can't get at practice. And the foot did come off of the pedal in the 4th qtr. We kicked a field goal on 1st and goal from the 5 and the 2 other late scores were on a fumble return and a punt return. The second string o-line played from the 2nd qtr on and there were several back ups playing on defense... But WOS will never just lay dow and let someone score... ain't never been that way and I hope it never changes.

After hearing about this, I can understand the score. WOS had to work on their offense with a new QB and did so while making major substitutions it sounds like plus the last 17 points came understandibly, from these accounts. The Mustangs had to get back on a winning feeling after it hadn't really been there the last 3 weeks.

wo-s prides themself on there D this is why it makes the mustangs what thay are ,one of the best D in the state year in year out. coach thompson is the best around these parts i just wish i had a son that could be coached by this man,he is the best hands down. the old saying is if you would like to beat west orange stark you must beat there D to win.

Another thing is the coaching staff had to get these kids to understand they can win without Mr Garrett at the wheel... after you lose a vital gear in the machine your entire team is playing from behind the 8 ball... this was just a way to show them they could win and win big... jmo I am sorry for the HF team to be on the receiving end of this but it just fell that way...

[quote name="Coach Comeaux" post="870825" timestamp="1286671438"]
Another thing is the coaching staff had to get these kids to understand they can win without Mr Garrett at the wheel... after you lose a vital gear in the machine your entire team is playing from behind the 8 ball... this was just a way to show them they could win and win big... jmo I am sorry for the HF team to be on the receiving end of this but it just fell that way...
[/quote]

I don't know that it is quite that.  I mean you can't put the backup quarterback in because the backup is starting....the kid after all is only a sophomore. The Mustangs don't have backup running because they use three different backs in a rotation.  Backup receivers?  Well, their leading receiver didn't even start the game so they started the game with backups .  Defense?  Well, one of their defensive leaders were nursing injuries and was held out of the game.  

Their last points was a FG that they kicked on a 1st and Goal from the 3 and their last touchdown was a fumble return.

Exactly what was Coach Hooks supposed to do?  Call up the 7th grade B team from West Orange-Stark Middle School?  Maybe suit up the Fillies or the Cheerleaders?  Perhaps put in Gasilla at QB, Coop as the RB and me, griff, skipper and venom33 as the receivers.  I guess put kicker, OrangeFBFan, judex and WO-S 89 on the D?

Would that have solved things?  Look as judex pointed out, this is not the first time the Longhorns have given up a large number of points in the game, giving up more than 50 3 times and more than 40 4 times.  And looking at the stats and seeing who they have left on the schedule it looks like a scenario that will unfortunately play out again for HF.

[quote name="WOSgrad" post="870865" timestamp="1286674018"]
Exactly what was Coach Hooks supposed to do?  Call up the 7th grade B team from West Orange-Stark Middle School?  Maybe suit up the Fillies or the Cheerleaders?  Perhaps put in Gasilla at QB, Coop as the RB and me, griff, skipper and venom33 as the receivers.  I guess put kicker, OrangeFBFan, judex and WO-S 89 on the D?
[/quote]
LOL! That's a heck of a lineup.  Since you're also talking back-ups, I'll be the 2nd string kicker 'cause I could make 'em from 40 yds out in high school.  If Hooks was ever absent because of another injured knee or something, then judex could replace his screaming tirades on the sidelines.  Let Gasilla calls plays for the offense.  With that scenario, I believe Coop would not carry the ball much.  He likes hanging around the bench, anyway.  WOS89 would make a good left tackle.  I see Skip as a decent cover-corner.  kicker can play some linebacker (he actually did some in his day).  OrangeFBFan will see time at tailback.  venom is the designate kicker recruiter (Somebody has to do this!!!).  We have a few more positions to fill, but that's a start.  All of us will play both ways, and if we don't like it, then our best friends will be 1) the Mustang Mile and 2) the piece of the tree. 

[quote name="griff" post="870946" timestamp="1286678464"]
[quote author=WOSgrad link=topic=74149.msg870865#msg870865 date=1286674018]
[/quote]
LOL! That's a heck of a lineup.  Since you're also talking back-ups, I'll be the 2nd string kicker 'cause I could make 'em from 40 yds out in high school.  If Hooks was ever absent because of another injured knee or something, then judex could replace his screaming tirades on the sidelines.  Let Gasilla calls plays for the offense.  With that scenario, I believe Coop would not carry the ball much.  He likes hanging around the bench, anyway.  WOS89 would make a good left tackle.  I see Skip as a decent cover-corner.  kicker can play some linebacker (he actually did some in his day).  OrangeFBFan will see time at tailback.  [b]venom is the designate kicker recruiter (Somebody has to do this!!!).  [/b] We have a few more positions to fill, but that's a start.  All of us will play both ways, and if we don't like it, then our best friends will be 1) the Mustang Mile and 2) the piece of the tree. 
[/quote]

OMG!!!!  ;D ;D :D :D :D

[quote name="the-riot07" post="870001" timestamp="1286598314"]
WO-S was clicking on all cylinders tonight! Young qb salters looked great! And the defense was outstanding...i left after 3 and the horns didn't have any first downs, did they get one? And does anyone have the stats?
[/quote]

it's easy to be firing on all cylinders when the team you're against isn't on a level playing field.
thats just how it is vs HF the past couple years.

[quote name="FootballFan96" post="871977" timestamp="1286792533"]
[quote author=the-riot07 link=topic=74149.msg870001#msg870001 date=1286598314]
WO-S was clicking on all cylinders tonight! Young qb salters looked great! And the defense was outstanding...i left after 3 and the horns didn't have any first downs, did they get one? And does anyone have the stats?
[/quote]

it's easy to be firing on all cylinders when the team you're against isn't on a level playing field.
[/quote]I beg to differ. It's not as easy. In fact, its very hard to stay focused. A superior team can go out and "play soft" against weaker opponents and keep the weaker team in the game. Thereby giving the weaker team the audacity to think they can play on the same field as the superior team. It happens all the time in sports. It takes a lot of mental toughness to go out and pounce weaker teams. I give WO-S all the credit for remaining focused and keeping track on their goals.

[quote name="BLUEDOVE3" post="872026" timestamp="1286803766"]
[quote author=FootballFan96 link=topic=74149.msg871977#msg871977 date=1286792533]
[/quote]

[/quote]I beg to differ. It's not as easy. In fact, its very hard to stay focused. A superior team can go out and "play soft" against weaker opponents and keep the weaker team in the game. Thereby giving the weaker team the audacity to think they can play on the same field as the superior team. It happens all the time in sports. It takes a lot of mental toughness to go out and pounce weaker teams. I give WO-S all the credit for remaining focused and keeping track on their goals.
[/quote]

so you're saying WOS was trying in that game?
they were trying plays they aren't sure would work with their personnel thats about it.
if the competition isn't there then it just isn't there...
hats off to HF for showing up, but i find it humorous that every year when WOS blows out the lesser teams in district and say "oh now they are back and ready to make it far in the playoffs!" you cant compare these type games.

they were trying plays they aren't sure would work with their personnel thats about it.
hats off to HF for showing up, but i find it humorous that every year when WOS blows out the lesser teams in district and say "oh now they are back and ready to make it far in the playoffs!" you cant compare these type games.

A. I'm saying WO-S was mentally focused against a weaker team. That can be hard especially when you already know you're better.
  B. Plays? I don't think I mentioned plays. But after a 40 pt. lead and in the 4th qtr, I guess I would try some (new) plays in a real  game situation.
  C. Why wouldn't HF show up? It's on our  district schedule.
  D. I'm not saying WO-S is ready for a run into the playoffs, but the HF game did show me their mental focus was on a high level.

[quote name="FootballFan96" post="872112" timestamp="1286809161"]
[quote author=BLUEDOVE3 link=topic=74149.msg872026#msg872026 date=1286803766]
[quote author=FootballFan96 link=topic=74149.msg871977#msg871977 date=1286792533]
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Ummm... The Riot didn't say a thing about making long playoff runs... in fact, no one said anything like what you put in parenthesis. The Riot said we were firing on all cylinders. We gave up -2 offensive yards to HF, gave up no points and our offense put out 475 yards of offense with a Sophomore QB playing in his second ever varsity game 3 weeks after replacing his fallen mentor... I'd say that qualifies for hitting on all cylinders! If you don't like the discussion why don't you read another thread?

[quote name="Gasilla" post="872456" timestamp="1286832109"]
[quote author=FootballFan96 link=topic=74149.msg872112#msg872112 date=1286809161]
[quote author=BLUEDOVE3 link=topic=74149.msg872026#msg872026 date=1286803766]
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Ummm... The Riot didn't say a thing about making long playoff runs... in fact, no one said anything like what you put in parenthesis. The Riot said we were firing on all cylinders. We gave up -2 offensive yards to HF, gave up no points and our offense put out 475 yards of offense with a Sophomore QB playing in his second ever varsity game 3 weeks after replacing his fallen mentor... I'd say that qualifies for hitting on all cylinders! If you don't like the discussion why don't you read another thread?
[/quote]

PERFECT!  ;)

this is to the players from HF.i was watching you guys after the game last friday and i must tell all the posters here what TRUE SPORTMENSHIP i saw by you team and coaches that night. the hugs and hand shakes did the old ticker good to see that.ok on a closeing note ,i wish all of you the best this year

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CougarCrazy124
    Newest Member
    CougarCrazy124