District 10-2a D1 Who wins it The whack, Newton, Cougars, Hornets who ya got?

Guest Jmeek

Who will win the District?  

124 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win the District?

• Hardin
    • Anahuac
    • Woodville
    • Buna
    • Kountze
    • Newton
    • East Chambers
    • Warren

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We have 2 running backs - apparently you haven't been paying attention to the stat board.

J. Albritton - 47  516  10.98  5
J. Smith - 25  288  11.52  3

We will see what happens for sure, and anything can happen, but this season I don't see Newton being the Newton of old.  Bottom line is, we are scheduling teams that are above us in classification, and sometimes I forget that Kirbyville hung the moon!

[quote name="Anafanatic" post="846611" timestamp="1284410494"]
We have 2 running backs - apparently you haven't been paying attention to the stat board.

We will see what happens for sure, and anything can happen, but this season I don't see Newton being the Newton of old.  Bottom line is, we are scheduling teams that are above us in classification, and sometimes I forget that Kirbyville hung the moon!
[/quote] I bet you wont put no money up on those Panthers vs. Newton. ;)

[quote name="Kvillecats" post="846616" timestamp="1284410732"]
[quote author=Anafanatic link=topic=72926.msg846611#msg846611 date=1284410494]

[/quote] I bet you wont put no money up on those Panthers vs. Newton. ;)
[/quote]

I would definitely put $$ up...however, I wouldn't do it until the week before to make sure we are healthy.  I think you would agree!

1. Newton- Never bet against the Eagles in this revamped district.
2.Anahuac-Panthers have turned the corner withe AD firmly in control now.
3.Hardin-They will shake things up with a versatile offense.
4.EC-If The QB is back at 100% this spot is interesting.
5.Buna- Not a turnovers difference in the 3/4/5 spots.
6.Woodville-Getting closer every year.
7.Kountze-Roll out the roundball
8.Warren-Real young and learning the basics.

I think Hardins passing game will give the advantage for the 3rd spot but if Hank is back at full speed the edge will go to the home team in that head to head matchup,didn't look at the schedule so the pick is based on the EC QB situation.

I am down here in South Texas and haven't seen any of them play, but based on my observations from afar, I pick 'em this way:

1. Newton- So they got thumped by Kville, most likely every other 2a team in the area would too. Besides, the Eagles have been on (or right at) the top of the heap in 2a for a long time, until someone knocks them off I'll stick with them for my first pick.
2. Anahuac- Looks like the Panthers have something cooking. Seems they have been on the upswing the last couple of years and its comming together.
3. East Chambers- Third place should be a dogfight and the EC QB situation could easily result in a lower finish. Certainly neither Buna, Hardin, nor Woodville will be a pushover and either one could easily land in the third spot (or higher for that matter). I am picking EC basically because:
A. I graduated from EC- I freely admit I am voting with my heart on this one.
B. They've built a pretty descent tradition over the last several years.
C. They have a good coach.
D. They have made the playoffs before when they probably shoudn't have (I think I am remembering correctly).
E. I am hoping the items I just articulated count for something somewhere down the line (ya know-- those intangibles).

Bottom line is, this is a heck of a class 2a district. There's a reason Dave Campbell and his boys voted it honorable mention (in a close vote) toughest 2a district in Texas.

Gonna be a fun year in class 2a in setx !!!

[quote author=Kvillecats link=topic=72926.msg846616#msg846616 date=1284410732]

yeah  i bet they would be good playig teams like shepard!

[quote author=Kvillecats link=topic=72926.msg847345#msg847345 date=1284487244]
[quote author=Kvillecats link=topic=72926.msg846616#msg846616 date=1284410732]

yeah  i bet they would be good playig teams like shepard!

You mean hamshire fannett and the other private school, doesn't matter tho still mediocre teams

EC's QB is going to have to be 100% for them to have a chance at making the playoffs. Hank Jones is one heck of an athlete, and  i think the offense feeds off of him.  I dont see EC winning district.  It will be a toss up between Anahuac and Newton.  From what i've seen on Anahuac they will be tough to beat. would love to see Newton get knocked down a notch.

Guest HardinHornets
"Not in the trash talk"

Out of curiousity, how many times has Anahuac in this decade (2000-2010) made it to the playoffs?

Out of curiousity, how many times has Kirbyville in this decade (2000-2010) made it to the playoffs?

My 10-2a Playoff teams are as follows.
1. Newton
2. Anahuac/Hardin
3. Anahuac/ Hardin/East Chambers

In my opinion, this is the strongest District I have seen in the 2a level in many years.

i say like dis.
first of all, everyone needs to quit doubting EC. Second, why do people think that Hardin can beat them when they could only beat Tarkington by 4. Third, two other teams in the district lost to orangefield by a worse margin than EC. So you people need to stop doubting EC. This district is going to come down to Newton, Anahuac, EC.

[quote name="Isaylikedis" post="847912" timestamp="1284562185"]
i say like dis.
first of all, everyone needs to quit doubting EC. Second, why do people think that Hardin can beat them when they could only beat Tarkington by 4. Third, two other teams in the district lost to orangefield by a worse margin than EC. So you people need to stop doubting EC. This district is going to come down to Newton, Anahuac, EC.
[/quote]

I don't think everyone is doubting EC, but without Jones playing the Bucs simply don't look like a playoff team.  If Hank comes back and is able to play @ 90-100% then yes, EC makes the playoffs.  Jones not only makes his team better, but the opposing teams better - and I'm hoping he recovers.  If he can't recover I'd look for Buna and Woodville fighting for the 3rd spot.  As for Hardin...we heard the same thing last year from them until district rolled around and reality struck - and I see the same thing happening this year.  The Hornets can put up big #'s against 1A schools, but I don't see them having any more than 2 wins in district...Warren & Kountze.  No offense to Hardin fans, just stating the obvious due to the nail-biter against Tarkington and who they've played.

Guest baseball25
Hardin will upset 1 of the 3, EC,BUNA, OR WOODILLE, also u gotta remember Hardin was very beat up last yr too, I dunno if they will make the playoffs but they will upset somebody.

An unbiased opinion....take it for what it's worth.

1.  Newton
2A. Anahuac
2B. EC

If Anahuac and EC are both healthy, I'll take EC as the district runner up.  The reality is Newton is Newton and you know what you are going to get....the question is can you stop them?  I don't think so, not this year....and I really don't think Anahuac or any other 2A school in the area wants to tangle with Kville, at least not after seeing the Newton score. 

[quote name="Anafanatic" post="847684" timestamp="1284514013"]
Appreciate all the support from our neighbors...and the negativity from the [b][size=16pt]Buffalo Bills[/size][/b] [img]http://www.pic4ever.com/images/245.gif[/img]
[/quote]

Seems like I've heard that before.  Sometimes people's only motivation is to not have to hear anything (which is the case with my wife.)  I try to keep the Kirbyville posts to a minimum.  Otherwise, I feel like I'm dealing with my ex.  The truth is the Buffalo Bills were good enough to make it to the Super Bowl but that's it.  Need I say anymore...

Barring injuries, the district will be a toss-up between Newton and Anahuac.  Third will go to the Woodville Eagles.  The third place team pick is based on the presumption that it cannot get worse for Eagle athletics unless all the trees disappeared (timber industry.)  I think they will pull it off because everybody after the first two will beat each other up.  Let's say they win the tiebreaker based on points.

But district has not even started...

[quote name="Cowboys" post="848313" timestamp="1284601920"]
[quote author=Anafanatic link=topic=72926.msg847684#msg847684 date=1284514013]
Appreciate all the support from our neighbors...and the negativity from the [b][size=16pt]Buffalo Bills[/size][/b] [img]http://www.pic4ever.com/images/245.gif[/img]
[/quote]

Seems like I've heard that before.  Sometimes people's only motivation is to not have to hear anything (which is the case with my wife.)  I try to keep the Kirbyville posts to a minimum.  Otherwise, I feel like I'm dealing with my ex.  The truth is the Buffalo Bills were good enough to make it to the Super Bowl but that's it.  Need I say anymore...

Barring injuries, the district will be a toss-up between Newton and Anahuac.  Third will go to the Woodville Eagles.  The third place team pick is based on the presumption that it cannot get worse for Eagle athletics unless all the trees disappeared (timber industry.)  I think they will pull it off because everybody after the first two will beat each other up.  Let's say they win the tiebreaker based on points.

[/quote] How Much do you Know about the teams it this District? The Timber industry has been on a downhill ride for the last 5 years, and Newton Anahuac will be a toss up . Dont see it being a toss up.

[quote name="SouthArise" post="848434" timestamp="1284646152"]
[quote author=Cowboys link=topic=72926.msg848313#msg848313 date=1284601920]
[quote author=Anafanatic link=topic=72926.msg847684#msg847684 date=1284514013]
[/quote]

[/quote] How Much do you Know about the teams it this District? The Timber industry has been on a downhill ride for the last 5 years, and Newton Anahuac will be a toss up . Dont see it being a toss up.
[/quote]

I'll put it this way...you don't get sarcasm or history.  I believe the Union won the Civil War, but I may have to check my sources.

What I do know is that Anahuac has been good the past couple of seasons under Darrell Barbay.  The Newton/Anahuac game will be very interesting.  We are talking about two areas that always have athletes.  Historically, Anahuac has had a hard time with leadership.  For the first time in several decades, the school has a program in place with somebody who has a vested interest in the athletes at Anahuac, not false pretenses, and for the first time in 20 years the football team has the belief that they can do well and maintain it from year to year. 

Newton is Newton.  They are always competitive at the highest level in whichever classification they have been in.

Nobody else in the district has the athletes that these two schools have and will beat each other up in district.  I believe Woodville will come out on top.

Read a book...you might learn something.

[quote name="Anafanatic" post="846592" timestamp="1284408687"]
[quote author=Kvillecats link=topic=72926.msg846578#msg846578 date=1284408129]
[quote author=APanthers link=topic=72926.msg846570#msg846570 date=1284407533]
I would say Houston Kinkaid was tough.
[/quote] I dont know nothing about Kinkaid. What i do know is..... Newton is still Newton. Anahuac needs to schedule teams like WOS, Silsbee, BC, Jasper or us to get them battle tested for those tough games down the road.
[/quote]

Kinkaid is a private school and has the size of probably Huffman....on the edge of 3a/4a - big team to say the least!  HJ is down this year where yall only beat them by 14 last year. HF is still down - but we are playing larger schools...however, we all know Newton is not the same Newton when they lost by 34pts.  Yall may be good, but wouldn't have beaten the Panthers by that margin! 
[/quote]Kinkaid has roughly 550 kids in the upper school. Would be a small 3a school.  Without the number of athletes that a public school their size would have. 

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    TankParrish83
    Newest Member
    TankParrish83