Just Venting

I have been reluctant about making this post on this subject because of fear that it would affect my daughter future in the gm that she loves. Last weekend a group of players from the surrounding area went to Lufkin and played in a tournament. The competition was not very strong, but teams that they where suppose to run rule they did. They brought home the first place trophy. I think they scored 71 runs and only allowed 4 runs. 

I thought after leaving that touurnament that this group of players would stay together and continue to grow as a team. All year long, I have heard parents state we need to be more competetive against the Houston and Lousiana teams. Well, everyone agreed this was the group that could do it.

Last season the two main 99 teams for this area barely had enough players to compete. OOC had at least two players from the Houston area. The Shockers at the end of the season, only had nine players. Now going into the new season their are more teams at this age group than last year.

The team that won the A class division in the USFA world series at ten and under showed everyone the blue print for success. Put the best at their respective positions together and put aside egos and kick butts. It does not look like this will happen in the area this year, but I am not giving up hope that this will happen one day.

OK, I didn't really want to post on a public forum about this but it's out there and everybody involved knows exactly who I am. The question I have about this is why can't we still make it happen?  I have not given up on this team. The parents that I have talked to on this matter wants the same thing (DISCLOSURE - I have not talked to everyone involved).  They want these girls to get a higher level of coaching. That part is done. The issue is that we have found TWO higher level coaches willing to take the time to teach the girls and bring them to the next level. While to me that shouldn't be a issue, it evidently is because this team will be split making it two separate teams.  Just like there was in 10U.  In MY opinion, the solution is simple..... bring these two coaches together & allow them to both coach the team. How we do this, I don't know.  Evidently there is more to the situation that I don't know about.  I would like nothing more than to have the top talent in this area play together starting NOW and receive the coaching that will bring them to the next level! These girls, as a whole could compete with the best in the NATION.

It sounds like the girls are not being considered.  That instead of doing what is best for the girls, egos are in the way.  If this team is as good as you say it is then shame on whoever is busting them up for their own personal reasons.  Sometimes the best thing for your daughter is not you.  It's a hard pill to swallow, but you have to let go and let someone else coach your daughter.  I know that there is only so much that I can teach my daughter.  I can only take her so far.  People need to look at the big picture beyond 12 U and not right now and "make sure little suzy plays in the best spot."  When suzy gets into high school more than likely she won't play that spot you put her in all these years of your coaching.  (When I say "you" it is a general blanket "you" and not meant for anyone in particular).  That is not helping that child and is not allowing her to go to the next level.  Your going to hurt not help her game by holding on and not allowing her that growth she needs. 

Everything this team and these girls need, to get to the next level, will be accessible to them. The GTS Gold team players, the coaches and parents are willing help these girls. What more could they (parents) want? The Gold team is at the next level, I know I want my girl looking up to these players. You've got to put your differences aside and do whats best for your kid. Because thats what this is all about; your kid and doing everything in your power to get them to the next level.

It is sad that these girls are being split up. My daughter played on the team that went to Lufkin, scored over 80 runs, and allowed very few. The team gelled very well together(considering they barely knew each others name at the 1st game), and the best talent from Southeast Texas was finally on the same team. It was an amazing thing to watch how the girls played together and got along so well with each other on and off the field, and they seemed to elevate each others play and attitude! I hope that these girls are able to play on the same team togeher in the future. I also hope that those choosing to leave the GTS Shocker group carefully consider the reasons why, and make sure they keep their daughters best interests at heart.

I don't know who you are, Remembering#12, but I hope there aren't any repercussions against your daughter. I guess I'm taking the same risk. It was a great weekend for the girls! I'm glad that I was finally off one weekend to see them, and especially glad it was that one.

I am very disappointed that these girls are not getting to play together. This is a team that could have commanded the respect, from any other town /state, which this area would want. It's not just the ones that played, but with the ones that weren't able to be there and the ones trying out for both teams. We would have a pool of athletes to dominate, imho, from this area. Other areas would no longer  ::) at SETX. I know it's not ALL about winning, but sometimes it IS, no matter how you want to justify it. My daughter can learn just as well from the winner’s bracket, than from the other side. When they come to play, they come to WIN! I want that for us! (How shallow of me.)

Even though we have committed, for the fall, to one side,  I still have hope that somehow this "team" could come about. We have coaches that have similar triumphs and goals that will be in charge. Both are great developmental teachers. One needs to be with his older daughter during our games/tourneys, leaving the other to follow through with [i][u]their[/u][/i] plans on the field at games. There would be no need to pick a coach from the coaching parents.

This is a simplistic start that another parent from the "other side"  ;) and I talked about today.  We all want the best for our girls. As it is going, IMHO, we are missing the [b]very best[/b] that we could have. Separately, with what we have, there will still be growth, challenge and learning, no doubt. I just see us missing so much more. YMMV

Oh well, this is on the internet, it must be true!!!

Josey

I don't know all the details of what happened here.. I'm beginning to get the "picture" though.. . the fact is that OOC and Shockers both had plenty of talented girls on the team.. adding in a couple here and there from other girls and you'll have two very strong teams from the golden triangle with Blast and Shockers. So let go of the what ifs and focus and the what is... my daughter will be on one of these teams.. they both want her and we will decide tonight.. either way, she'll be on an amazing team full of incredible talent from this area! And I'll be proud of both teams no matter what. There are too many girls to be one team between them.. that would mean a lot of bench sitting for serious talent. I don't think anyone wants that. So whichever team your daughter ends up on between these two.. she can't lose.

There is enough talent in this area to field two very good competitive teams at each level.
I know this because it has been proven recently.
Last year (2010):
12U
Crush 97 and Thunder 97 both competed in Houston regularly against some of the best in the nation and beat them.
14U
Crush Collins and Young Guns did the same as above.

If you go to Houston and ask the older groups about these four teams you wont get any  ::)!

One question I have about this team that went to Lufkin...How many pitchers were on that team?

[quote name="NDN FAN" post="822564" timestamp="1280782987"]
Basically all but three pitches. There were 10 girls that made the trip to Lufkin, but the other two pitch as well.
[/quote]
Herein lies the problem...Only one ball!
Very difficult to get pitching time for 7 girls in one tournament!

As I said, the best for our girls is what we want. Both, or, all three teams will have talent on them (Blast, Shockers, and OOC). It's all probably a done deal as for as organizations go, so, C'est la vie!!  Pick a team and let them play ball! We can support them, regardless. Looking forward to seeing you in a bleacher somewhere! 8)

[quote name="badndn" post="822565" timestamp="1280783131"]
[quote author=NDN FAN link=topic=71343.msg822564#msg822564 date=1280782987]
Basically all but three pitches. There were 10 girls that made the trip to Lufkin, but the other two pitch as well.
[/quote]
[/quote]

Sorry to chime in, but I would like to give some advise to "pitching time".  Any team that is going to be competitive needs to have at least 3 pitcher in rotation (Unless you have the next Cat or Finch in the dugout).  As my DD is moving on to college ball we have played/pitched for some good and bad teams, and I made the mistake of worrying about "pitching time".  But this is what i have learned from success and failures.  Get a rotation and stick to it if pitcher if pitcher A gets the rock for the first game then pitcher B knows that they needs to be ready to come in to either finish or start the next game. Once pitcher B is in then the same is true for pitcher C and so on.  I personally like to have 4-5 pitchers in tournament play. Now at the younger age groups they need to pitch and play something else.  But starting at 14u they need to know what their job is and the coaches need to let them do their job "pitch the ball".  Hey there were time when my DD had the rock at a championship game in triple ITB  and I wished it wasn't her turn, but you know what she knew the job was hers and that she needed to step it up.  Pitching is more about practice than game time, games really only give you the things to work on the next week in practice.

[quote name="IAmMe" post="823007" timestamp="1280969799"]
[quote author=badndn link=topic=71343.msg822565#msg822565 date=1280783131]
[/quote]
[/quote]

Sorry to chime in, but I would like to give some advise to "pitching time".   Any team that is going to be competitive needs to have at least 3 pitcher in rotation (Unless you have the next Cat or Finch in the dugout).  As my DD is moving on to college ball we have played/pitched for some good and bad teams, and I made the mistake of worrying about "pitching time".  But this is what i have learned from success and failures.  Get a rotation and stick to it if pitcher if pitcher A gets the rock for the first game then pitcher B knows that they needs to be ready to come in to either finish or start the next game. Once pitcher B is in then the same is true for pitcher C and so on.  I personally like to have 4-5 pitchers in tournament play. Now at the younger age groups they need to pitch and play something else.  But starting at 14u they need to know what their job is and the coaches need to let them do their job "pitch the ball".  Hey there were time when my DD had the rock at a championship game in triple ITB  and I wished it wasn't her turn, but you know what she knew the job was hers and that she needed to step it up.  Pitching is more about practice than game time, games really only give you the things to work on the next week in practice.
[/quote]

Thanks for the input.  This does make sense, I just wish our coach looked at this way.  I think it is hard to practice all the time when you don't get any game time.

[quote name="IAmMe" post="823007" timestamp="1280969799"]
[quote author=badndn link=topic=71343.msg822565#msg822565 date=1280783131]
[/quote]
[/quote]

Sorry to chime in, but I would like to give some advise to "pitching time".   Any team that is going to be competitive needs to have at least 3 pitcher in rotation (Unless you have the next Cat or Finch in the dugout).  As my DD is moving on to college ball we have played/pitched for some good and bad teams, and I made the mistake of worrying about "pitching time".  But this is what i have learned from success and failures.  Get a rotation and stick to it if pitcher if pitcher A gets the rock for the first game then pitcher B knows that they needs to be ready to come in to either finish or start the next game. Once pitcher B is in then the same is true for pitcher C and so on.  I personally like to have 4-5 pitchers in tournament play. Now at the younger age groups they need to pitch and play something else.  But starting at 14u they need to know what their job is and the coaches need to let them do their job "pitch the ball".  Hey there were time when my DD had the rock at a championship game in triple ITB  and I wished it wasn't her turn, but you know what she knew the job was hers and that she needed to step it up.  Pitching is more about practice than game time, games really only give you the things to work on the next week in practice.
[/quote]
Dead on correct. Any successful team should have three pitchers.

But when you have 7, which is what they indicated in this case, your gonna have issues! You know it and I know it. Someone is going to get upset. ::)

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    TankParrish83
    Newest Member
    TankParrish83