Jasper vs Orangefield Game 1 @ 7:30/ Jasper wins 5-4!!! Lead 1-0

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="SETXsports Broadcaster" post="809006" timestamp="1275621557"]
Sooooo who will pitch tomorrow?   any guesses?
[/quote]
Good question.  Jasper announcer Art Lay said to expect Colton Burleson for Jasper.  This is their "normal" rotation of late so that would be no surprise.  So Coach Mixon might surprise with somebody else!  ;)

OF has no room to gamble in game 2, so I expect they will start Angelle who won the deciding game 3 against Robinson.  But OF could follow the pattern from last week and start Felts in game 2?

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="808978" timestamp="1275619395"]
Never should have sent him. The hit was way too shallow in right. Had Statum coming to the plate.
[/quote]I disagree...Took a perfect throw and overall good play to get him...Good try just a great defensive play

[quote name="injun" post="809017" timestamp="1275622743"]
[quote author=AggiesAreWe link=topic=70242.msg808978#msg808978 date=1275619395]
Never should have sent him. The hit was way too shallow in right. Had Statum coming to the plate.
[/quote]I disagree...Took a perfect throw and overall good play to get him...Good try just a great defensive play
[/quote]

That would be a tough call.  I am sure the scouting report on Jasper said "guns in the outfield"  but on the other hand you have to try, nothings perfect everytime.

[quote name="j_dog" post="809009" timestamp="1275622032"]
[quote author=SETXsports Broadcaster link=topic=70242.msg809006#msg809006 date=1275621557]
Sooooo who will pitch tomorrow?   any guesses?
[/quote]
Good question.  Jasper announcer Art Lay said to expect Colton Burleson for Jasper.  This is their "normal" rotation of late so that would be no surprise.  So Coach Mixon might surprise with somebody else!   ;)

OF has no room to gamble in game 2, so I expect they will start Angelle who won the deciding game 3 against Robinson.  But OF could follow the pattern from last week and start Felts in game 2?

[/quote]I'm sure Angelle gets game 2 start ..I think the  reason they did what they did last weekend was because they won game 1 and Felts
would not be as effective in game 3 after catching 7 innings and pitching in the same day..(Smart coaching in my opinion)

[quote name="SETXsports Broadcaster" post="809019" timestamp="1275623001"]
[quote author=injun link=topic=70242.msg809017#msg809017 date=1275622743]
[/quote]

That would be a tough call.  I am sure the scouting report on Jasper said "guns in the outfield"  but on the other hand you have to try, nothings perfect everytime.
[/quote]

I send him, 2 outs and wet ball.

[quote name="SETXsports Broadcaster" post="809019" timestamp="1275623001"]
[quote author=injun link=topic=70242.msg809017#msg809017 date=1275622743]
[/quote]

[/quote]I agree tough call, just trying to make something happen...If  it does not work, you have top of the order coming up in the 7th

Jasper takes Game 1, 5-4, against OF

Van Wade Orange Leader

BEAUMONT — Erupting for five runs in the bottom of the second inning, the Jasper Bulldogs held off the Orangefield Bobcats 5-4 in Game One of their best-of-three Class 3A Region III semifinal at Lamar University’s Vincent-Beck Stadium Thursday night.

Jasper pitcher Derek Sowell earned the win on the hill for the Bulldogs (34-4). He went the distance, scattering five Orangefield (29-5) hits while striking out nine while walking six.

Jace Statum absorbed the tough loss on the mound for the Bobcats. He allowed eight hits while fanning seven Bulldogs while walking three. After the second inning, Statum allowed just four hits the rest of the way.

Game Two will be back at Vincent-Beck Stadium tonight at 7:30 p.m. Game Three, if necessary, will be at 6 p.m. Saturday at Vincent-Beck.

The Bobcats almost tied it up in the top of the sixth.

Corey Huckabay drew a leadoff walk and moved to second on a superb sacrifice bunt by Kyle Fontenot. With two outs, Derrick Evans sent a single to right. Bulldog rightfielder Lance Nerio made an excellent throw to home to catcher Ty Parker, who made the tag in time to get Huckabay out.

Orangefield trimmed a 5-1 deficit to 5-4 in the top half of the third.

Statum got things going with a leadoff single to left and Jonathan DeRamus reached on an error at short. With one out, Chase Angelle walked to load the bases and Statum trimmed it to 5-2 by scoring off a wild pitch.

After Quinton Evans drew a walk, Huckabay reached on a fielder’s choice as DeRamus was forced out at home but a pickoff attempt to first went errant and Angelle was able to score. Quinton Evans made it 5-4 when he scored on a bad throw on a pickoff attempt to try and get Huckabay out at first.

The Bulldogs erupted in the bottom of the second.

Sowell got on after being hit by a Statum pitch and Jacob Clark drew a walk. Cain Draper moved both runners with a nice sacrifice bunt. Nerio made it 2-1 when he brought in two runs with a single to center.

Tyler Ernest then drew a walk and Jacob Soisson, who was 3-for-4, singled to load the bases. Parker roped a high double to deep left to drive in two runs and Soisson scored after a bad pickoff attempt at third base to make it 5-1.

The Bobcats picked up a run off Sowell in the top of the first.

Jace Statum drew a leadoff walk and then found himself at third after a wild Sowell pitch. Jonathan DeRamus followed with a walk. Sowell got out of a tough deal when Jacob Felts lined out hard to Bulldog third baseman Parker Phillips and DeRamus was nabbed at first for a double play. Statum still found his way to home when he was able to dart in after a passed ball to make it 1-0.

The Bobcats had two men on in the top of the second with one out after Corey Huckabay had an infield hit and Austin Scales singled to left but after a wild pitch moved both runners to second and third, Sowell managed to work his way out of the jam by striking out Kyle Fontenot and Derrick Evans.

Statum got out of a nice jam in the fourth after Ernest and Soisson led off with singles. Statum induced two fly ball outs and a strikeout.

[quote name="SETXsports Broadcaster" post="809011" timestamp="1275622357"]
well that would seem the smart thing, then in case of a third game you do have sowell who at least rested a night and half a day  ;D  but heck he start sowell for a couple to see how he does then go in with somebody else....who knows what evil lurks in the heart of a coach called Mixon  ;D ;D ;D
[/quote]
Agreed!  After I saw him once start the same pitcher in the second game of a double-header who had just pitched a complete game .........  well no telling what he might do!  And more often than not his strategies seem to work.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder