Hoop Scoop says LU’s Roccaforte on recruiting roll

[quote name="biglubaby" post="806342" timestamp="1274986314"]
Reggie Mathis ,Wesley, E.B Davis, the 3 seniors,will be the open scholarships for next year, Garza and Osas are likely to be the next guys to leave, got this info from an inside source. We talked highly about this athletes last yr b4 they got here, and now they are gone, this will be the same song that we will sing next yr.  Something is not right. Why recruit all these talents when you know that your not going to use them???? you can't really tell who is really good while they sit on the bench,wesley really did not got the chance to play, we did not even see Garza and Osas in uniform. [b]some players that were great in this program  the last 2 or 3yrs can't make it in the next level, y'all should know who am talking about, and that should tell you something about this program. [/b] I feel bad for Mathis coz he is going to his senoir yr and now he's gone and will definitely loose some credits in class wherever he transfers to. That's pitiful!!
[/quote]
If by next level you are refering to the NBA, then you are dillusional. How many Low major players make it at the next level each year? How many mid majors make it for that matter? Very, very, very few!!!
If you came to LU or any other SLC school with the intent of making it to the NBA then you were and will be in denial. The only reason anyone should sign with a Mid to Low Major is with the intent to get a degree and hopefully win a conference title!

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The next level does not mean playing in the NBA alone, i meant playiing overseas, i remember a guy that played here 3 or 4 yrs ago named Brandon Chappell, he was not a standout player here , and never really got the playing time the so called super stars of 2 or 3 yrs ago got, and he is in his 3rd yr playing in Germany. Alot of people criticized him a lot on here, am happy that he is playing in the next level, what about our so called super stars that played with a lot of heart?!!! i bet some of this incoming athletes will will leave after next yr and some of yall will write bad things about them like yall did about Wesley. My point being that we can't really know who can play if the coach don't give them the time to play!!

[quote name="biglubaby" post="806414" timestamp="1274996062"]
The next level does not mean playing in the NBA alone, i meant playing overseas, i remember a guy that played here 3 or 4 yrs ago named Brandon Chappell, he was not a standout player here , and never really got the playing time the so called super stars of 2 or 3 yrs ago got, and he is in his 3rd yr playing in Germany. Alot of people criticized him a lot on here, am happy that he is playing in the next level, what about our so called super stars that played with a lot of heart?!!! i bet some of this incoming athletes will will leave after next yr and some of yall will write bad things about them like yall did about Wesley. My point being that we can't really know who can play if the coach don't give them the time to play!!
[/quote]
I agree with much you say, but I don't think any thing was said bad about Wesley.  He did show to be timid when he played, but that was because he did not get much playing time.  Maybe with the connection he has got with KU, he thought it best to move on.  He is a good kid.  He is a Facebook friend and has shown that he has good family support. I wonder if he would have to wait a year to be eligable to play?

[quote name="biglubaby" post="806342" timestamp="1274986314"]
Reggie Mathis ,Wesley, E.B Davis, the 3 seniors,will be the open scholarships for next year, Garza and Osas are likely to be the next guys to leave, got this info from an inside source. We talked highly about this athletes last yr b4 they got here, and now they are gone, this will be the same song that we will sing next yr.  Something is not right. Why recruit all these talents when you know that your not going to use them???? you can't really tell who is really good while they sit on the bench,wesley really did not got the chance to play, we did not even see Garza and Osas in uniform. some players that were great in this program  the last 2 or 3yrs can't make it in the next level, y'all should know who am talking about, and that should tell you something about this program. I feel bad for Mathis coz he is going to his senoir yr and now he's gone and will definitely loose some credits in class wherever he transfers to. That's pitiful!!
[/quote]

When Brad McMakin (former LU golf coach) was here he had a couple of bad years until he "ran off a few guys" and landed Chris Stroud. Within four years the Lamar men's golf team finished in the Top 10 nationally.

College athletics is run like a business and tough decisions are made; like releasing players and letting others transfer.

Wish the best for Wesley and any other player who doesn't return for next season.

What is ur point??? are you trying to say that the mens basketball program will be top 10 in the nation based on the recruits coming in?? I hope so!! and yes of course college athletics is now such a big business, my point is that you should not bring in athletes that ur not gonna play coz those athletes and their families might depend on them to play professionally overseas. So what will be Reggie mathis's fate?? what Roc did to him is messed up!!! he did the same to skyler,Musa ,Barrow, and will do the same to some of this in coming athletes, "mark my words today"

[quote name="biglubaby" post="806901" timestamp="1275076917"]
What is ur point??? are you trying to say that the mens basketball program will be top 10 in the nation based on the recruits coming in?? I hope so!! and yes of course college athletics is now such a big business, my point is that you should not bring in athletes that ur not gonna play coz those athletes and their families might depend on them to play professionally overseas. So what will be Reggie mathis's fate?? what Roc did to him is messed up!!! he did the same to skyler,Musa ,Barrow, and will do the same to some of this in coming athletes, "mark my words today"
[/quote]

My point is the coach has a job and anything above Jr HS it is to win. Not to play your favorite player or sit your least favorite. It is to put the best 5 players on the court and I'm sure the coaching staff knows the abilities of the players better than you or I.

Well if your point is that Mathis can't provide for his family now that he can't play his senior year is crazy. Now he gets his chance a year in advance to go overseas if that's what he wants. I'm not saying its right I'm just saying he can still transfer. And he can still get a degree somewhere. Roc I truly think is trying to do what he thinks is best for the program. I don't think Mathis whole life is ruined.

[quote name="biglubaby" post="807197" timestamp="1275148679"]
Yea the coaches know better and their record (11-21)for in the last 2 seasons shows it rite?? does that record show you that they know what they are doing? maybe you are one of the coaches and trying to cover your job.
[/quote]

Man, now you got to be joking. Me, a coach? Sorry, I have another profession. Regardless of their record I am sure they have forgotten more basketball than you or I know.

With that record, they are in a position as they have to "win now, not later." So they are apparently hitting the Juco ranks hard hoping to "hit a homerun".

IMO, we'll have to wait until the season to see if "the fruits of their labor" pan out. If I remember correctly the Cards were SLC co-champions in Coach Roc's first season.

I agree they need a very good season or Coach Roc could be history.

[quote name="biglubaby" post="807197" timestamp="1275148679"]
Yea the coaches know better and their record (11-21)for in the last 2 seasons shows it rite?? does that record show you that they know what they are doing? [b]maybe you are one of the coaches and trying to cover your job.[/b]
[/quote]
Yeah and maybe you are one of those players that has been WRONGED!!!  ::)

If Mathis was good enough to play overseas, him missing his Senior year is not going to hurt. So are none of the players actually going to college to get a degree?

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    cfbswami
    Newest Member
    cfbswami