LU BASKETBALL BIG MAN NEEDED

Does anyone know if Roc is even looking for a Big man For next season?????
Ive looked for any reports but can't find any.  That's the only missing piece for next years team he has added atleast what looks to be three new starters and some much needed depth to the team. I like what Roc is doing he's knows his job is on the line and it shows in his recruiting class for the upcoming season i am excited to see it all come together. I'm a strong believer that he will battle back he's out to prove he's a legit D-1 coach and belongs at Lamar.

All information and opinions are welcomed

Guest coachacola
Sounds like you don't have much confidence in any of the big men already on the team.  There were only 3 seniors on this year's team and already there appears to be up to 8 commits so I'm not sure Roc is looking at any big men.

no i have confidence coy custer is going to ba senior and he has stepped up his game every year i have confidence in him but after that who? Stan brown showed promise as a freshman. im just asking because Roc has recruited every other position just curious if a big man was on the radar for next year i know he has High school kids but what about a JUCO

[i]Stan Brown showed promise as a freshman? [/i] Really? I see NOBODY that is capable of producing Nabors' numbers in points and rebounds next year at the 4-spot. I think Custer will be fine at the 5...and we seem to have recruited some shooters...but if Stan Brown is at the 4 spot, I'm worried...........

thats what im saying CC will be ok yeah for a freshman Stan did a pretty good job considering his playing time.  also i never said anyone would produce the numbers Nabors did thats Why is said we need one more Big man. I'm just asking if Roc was on the trail to land a JUCO Big Man

Guest coachacola
I think Roc is going with a smaller, faster lineup next year.  Probably one big man in the middle with a lot of big guards/small forwards like Harper, Brandon Davis, etc.

[quote name="coachacola" post="793867" timestamp="1272028417"]
I think Roc is going with a smaller, faster lineup next year.  Probably one big man in the middle with a lot of big guards/small forwards like Harper, Brandon Davis, etc.
[/quote]
Bingo.

Folks forget Harper was pulling down 10+ boards a game before he hurt his leg. That leg injury hampered him the rest of the season.

Guest coachacola
[quote name="bobbymcgee" post="794448" timestamp="1272135885"]
If we are going to have a three-guard lineup and a smaller, quicker team, then we need a big man like SHSU's Gilberto Clavell. We don't have that.
[/quote]

Clavell is only 6-6.  I think what made him so effective was that SHSU had a great outside game.  If Lamar signs all these guards then they should have a good outside game which should make Custer, Harper, Brown, etc. better players because defenses won't collapse on them.  Nabors had a great season, and that's after sitting out a year with a broken leg.  Just think how good he would have been if Lamar would have had some decent outside shooters to keep the defense honest.

Agree Coach. Nabors may have been one of our top 20...top 10? greatest players. Too bad he was on a losing team and therefore will probably not be remembered....but I'm old...and go back all the way to the Earl Dow and Phil Endicott glory days in the 1960s...so I've been around...not sure I ever saw a bigger heart on a LAMAR team than Nabors....too small for his position and crippled at that...his scoring and rebound numbers were impressive. I hope he finds a post-college employer that appreciates a big heart and tremendous work ethic...Nabors has that for sure...and next year's team will be hard pressed to have a #4 player replace him...

Brazier played his high school ball for the Cowboys of Chino. While playing basketball for SBVC, [b]Brazier was named first team all-Foothill Conference in both his freshman and sophomore years.[/b] Lamar University is located in the town of Beaumont, Texas about 90 miles east of Houston. The Lamar University Cardinals play in Montagne Center and are coached by Steve Roccaforte. In the 2009-2010 season the Cardinals went 14-18 overall and 5-11 in conference play. LU is in the Southland Conference-West Region of NCAA Division I.

He can only help!

[quote name="tyree" post="795507" timestamp="1272417212"]
Agree Coach. Nabors may have been one of our top 20...top 10? greatest players. Too bad he was on a losing team and therefore will probably not be remembered....but I'm old...and go back all the way to the Earl Dow and Phil Endicott glory days in the 1960s...so I've been around...not sure I ever saw a bigger heart on a LAMAR team than Nabors....too small for his position and crippled at that...his scoring and rebound numbers were impressive. I hope he finds a post-college employer that appreciates a big heart and tremendous work ethic...Nabors has that for sure...and next year's team will be hard pressed to have a #4 player replace him...
[/quote][quote author=ForeverADog link=topic=68967.msg795701#msg795701 date=1272491949]
Good post Tyree. And just so you know Jay just had shoulder surgery to fix a torn tendon he had in his shoulder that he still played through all year.
[/quote]

Not only did Jay with a great heart to win and with injuries that pale to some, he showed his appreciation of the fans before, during and after the game.  He will be missed

Yep...I've said it before, but all three of the guys we got from coach Skelton in NW Miss were huge assets (Sanders, Nabors and Todd). Sanders and Nabors were great leaders and very fan friendly. You could tell they both loved and respected the game!

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Ryzxed
    Newest Member
    Ryzxed