Chester Football...*Eric Holton New HC*

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest LR1969
[quote name="little d" post="776588" timestamp="1268502440"]
Head coach and assistant.Heard head coach turned in his resignation at the last school board meeting.
[/quote]

Someone better snap him up. A coach who cared enough for his players (based on what I heard) to cancel the rest of last season when he felt they were at risk of suffering an injury due to the shortened roster. That's a "real" coach.

• 2 weeks later...
[quote name="LR1969" post="777776" timestamp="1268782047"]

Someone better snap him up. A coach who cared enough for his players (based on what I heard) to cancel the rest of last season when he felt they were at risk of suffering an injury due to the shortened roster. That's a "real" coach.
[/quote]
I heard Buna or Evadale

• 2 weeks later...
Those would likely be his choices because that is where his family is.

As for Chester, I just have to wonder how many players they are going to have to suit out for football. I admire them and always have or trying to stay in twelve man football, but even as close to my heart as they are, they might have to consider all options at this point. Doesnt sound like numbers are going up at all. Would they be able to suit twenty? 

Guest ECBucFan
Then go with twenty! Chester has a proud football tradition, and I would hate to see it go. Suiting 20 would not be that far removed than most of their opponents. Keep it goin' Chester! 

[quote name="ECBucFan" post="787064" timestamp="1270609602"]
Then go with twenty! Chester has a proud football tradition, and I would hate to see it go. Suiting 20 would not be that far removed than most of their opponents. Keep it goin' Chester!   
[/quote]

Know a little more about it than I was letting on, but seriously doubt they will suit out twenty. Do not know for sure. I think there will only be three seniors. I do not think people realize just how hard a season is on the kids playing when there are so few kids. The ones that do play many times are undersized and less talented as a whole compared to what they play against. It is easy for outsiders to say " keep it goin" when they haven't been there. The tradition is great and I do not want it to go, but the hard reality may be different. What about what is safe and good for the kids? I played on a very short numbered and overpowered team. I played both ways and played quarterback. For two years we got creamed physically and competitively. Average line weight was about 170 because of lack of kids to play. I agree in wanting them to have it, but unless you have been there, you do not know what the heck you are talking about. There is more to think of than just running those kids out in a uniform just to say you have a team. There is there well being. All I will say right now on that.   

Guest ECBucFan
[quote name="Jbdfan" post="787083" timestamp="1270610513"]
It is easy for outsiders to say " keep it goin" when they haven't been there. [/quote]

You would be surprised. About a million years ago, I played in 3A ball (not EC), and ended the season with about 20 on the roster. Went 1-9, but very glad to have played. I wish the best for Chester, Sabine Pass, H-I, and all the ones like them.  

That has been thrown out there as an idea, but travel would be crazy. It would be an option.

The other thing is this, people there are not quitters and do not want to do any different until there is no other option. That I admire. They are a gritty bunch over there, but a good bunch!

[quote name="WOSgrad" post="787237" timestamp="1270648443"]
I know it would be hard to fill up a schedule, but what about a move to 6 man football for Chester?
[/quote]

This past season Chester had to cancel their last couple of games. If they are in the same position next season I can't imagine how they would have a choice. I don't want players hurt and I know that is why this season was shelved, but you can't keep having opponents schedule games only to be left without games when the roster is so depleated that you can't field a team.

The choice would be 6 man or no football. It is difficult, but there is the fairness issue for the other teams on the Chester schedule.

[quote name="Rebel Yeller" post="787253" timestamp="1270650878"]
[quote author=WOSgrad link=topic=67116.msg787237#msg787237 date=1270648443]
I know it would be hard to fill up a schedule, but what about a move to 6 man football for Chester?
[/quote]

This past season Chester had to cancel their last couple of games. If they are in the same position next season I can't imagine how they would have a choice. I don't want players hurt and I know that is why this season was shelved, but you can't keep having opponents schedule games only to be left without games when the roster is so depleated that you can't field a team.

The choice would be 6 man or no football. It is difficult, but there is the fairness issue for the other teams on the Chester schedule.
[/quote]

There is certainly truth to what you are saying as well. It is not only about what Chester wants, but also about being able to know the other teams will get  to play their games.

[quote name="Jbdfan" post="787251" timestamp="1270650842"]
That has been thrown out there as an idea, but travel would be crazy. It would be an option.

[/quote]
Apple Springs, Oakwood, Trinidad, Levertt's Chapel and Karnack are all in this area playing 6-man.....that would make a pretty good district with
Chester added into the mix.....I hate to see Chester having these problems and hope that things work out.....

Hope to see Chester this year, especially with the bonds that have been built this year.

No matter what Chester decides, I know everyone will understand. We realize that “quit” is not part of Chester vocabulary, but intelligent decisions need to be made.

Send them boys down to the beach. Leli and the rest will take them around,
But not until after Track. (I got chewed out yesterday for letting them go skim-boarding)! ::)

[quote name="Colmesneilfan1" post="787329" timestamp="1270662359"]
[quote author=Jbdfan link=topic=67116.msg787251#msg787251 date=1270650842]

[/quote]
Apple Springs, Oakwood, Trinidad, Levertt's Chapel and Karnack are all in this area playing 6-man.....that would make a pretty good district with
Chester added into the mix.....I hate to see Chester having these problems and hope that things work out.....
[/quote]

Did not realize Oakwood went 6 man. They were good when we played them in 12  man. There is an example of a once good team needing to go to 6 man. Not saying this is what Chester needs, but Oakwood is an example.

[quote name="Jbdfan" post="787850" timestamp="1270772598"]
Did hear that Chester is hiring a football coach, but not sure if it is concrete. They are going to try to play from what I am hearing. That's great if numbers allow. 
[/quote]Yes ,Chester is looking to hire a head coach.I talked to one of the candidates myself. :-X

I think it is a coach from Legacy that is coming with the new baseball coach they just signed! I do not think the baseball coach has been coaching for a couple of years, but he  is a class act and baseball guy. His dad lead Chester to the state quarter-finals at least twice in the eighties and then came back in 96 and led Chester to an undefeated year in the regular season that year. The football guy is a trustworthy leader of young men I am sure. This is a promising accomplishment for Chester and will bring good ethics and respect to the program and kids there. I do not know the football guys name. Mark Young will coach baseball.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder