UnSigned Seniors

Since high school basketball season is over  :'( for a lot of our kids, I'm sure there will be many of our senior ballers who aren't getting the scholarships after their senior season is over. I do know there are some players in the past who were being told they were better than what they really were (HJ AHEM!). Anyway, this is the time to get these kids to attend the unsigned senior games and get exposed to college scouts from JUCO, D1,11,3, ETC. There is one coming up in Belton, Tx and one in Houston. I think it's a great opp to get your name out there. If you don't have that D1 schoalrship from Texas or Oklahoma by now,  it probably ain't coming. Look for other avenues.

• 4 weeks later...
This needs more attention!! I know these guys has helped their schools and put some Head and ASSISTANT coaches on the map. Even got some past and current coaches better jobs and more money. Soo now is the time to do them a favor and help them out. I dont know why any of these All State players aren't going anywhere. Especially from Hardin County!  :o :o

[quote name="Swag" post="787002" timestamp="1270607228"]
This needs more attention!! I know these guys has helped their schools and put some Head and ASSISTANT coaches on the map. Even got some past and current coaches better jobs and more money. Soo now is the time to do them a favor and help them out. I dont know why any of these All State players aren't going anywhere. Especially from Hardin County!  :o :o
[/quote]

Some just aren't good enough.  Others only want to go certain places.

[quote name="BLUEDOVE3" post="773145" timestamp="1268060095"]
Since high school basketball season is over  :'( for a lot of our kids, I'm sure there will be many of our senior ballers who aren't getting the scholarships after their senior season is over. I do know there are some players in the past who were being told they were better than what they really were (HJ AHEM!). Anyway, this is the time to get these kids to attend the unsigned senior games and get exposed to college scouts from JUCO, D1,11,3, ETC. There is one coming up in Belton, Tx and one in Houston. I think it's a great opp to get your name out there. If you don't have that D1 schoalrship from Texas or Oklahoma by now,  it probably ain't coming. Look for other avenues.

[/quote]
Bluedove, besides Joubert i dont think certain coaches are really trying to help kids get to the next level. I can guarantee you these kids had no idea about this. They do now ;)

Is this really a discussion again about HJ? ::) ::) ::)  Last time I checked all of the HJ kids that WANTED to play college ball are playing.  Also some of those kids that may have been good or even great are NOT college ball player material either.  As far as HJ helping.......last time I checked a former 3A State Player of the Year had a D1 coach on signing day in the principals office with papers to sign and the players AAU coach told him NO!!!!!!!

• 2 months later...
[quote name="BLUEDOVE3" post="773145" timestamp="1268060095"]
[color=red]Since high school basketball season is over  :'( for a lot of our kids, I'm sure there will be many of our senior ballers who aren't getting the scholarships after their senior season is over. I do know there are some players in the past who were being told they were better than what they really were[/color] [color=limegreen](HJ AHEM!). [/color]Anyway, this is the time to get these kids to attend the unsigned senior games and get exposed to college scouts from JUCO, D1,11,3, ETC. There is one coming up in Belton, Tx and one in Houston. I think it's a great opp to get your name out there. If you don't have that D1 schoalrship from Texas or Oklahoma by now,  it probably ain't coming. Look for other avenues.

[/quote]

[quote name="Betrayed" post="810212" timestamp="1276011021"]
[quote author=BLUEDOVE3 link=topic=67026.msg773145#msg773145 date=1268060095]
[color=red]Since high school basketball season is over  :'( for a lot of our kids, I'm sure there will be many of our senior ballers who aren't getting the scholarships after their senior season is over. I do know there are some players in the past who were being told they were better than what they really were[/color] [color=limegreen](HJ AHEM!). [/color]Anyway, this is the time to get these kids to attend the unsigned senior games and get exposed to college scouts from JUCO, D1,11,3, ETC. There is one coming up in Belton, Tx and one in Houston. I think it's a great opp to get your name out there. If you don't have that D1 schoalrship from Texas or Oklahoma by now,  it probably ain't coming. Look for other avenues.

Some kids wont get scholarships because they spent too much time complaining about lack of playing time and, after getting out of school, telling their homies that those type of problems are caused not by the players themselves but by their coaches.  The saddest part is that many of them TRULY believe that.

[/quote]
[/quote]

• 5 weeks later...
[quote name="LAZEEK" post="787300" timestamp="1270656911"]
Is this really a discussion again about HJ? ::) ::) ::)  Last time I checked all of the HJ kids that WANTED to play college ball are playing.  Also some of those kids that may have been good or even great are NOT college ball player material either.  As far as HJ helping.......last time I checked a former 3A State Player of the Year had a D1 coach on signing day in the principals office with papers to sign and the players AAU coach told him NO!!!!!!!
[/quote]wow! Look at all the good posts I missed. It's ol but I want to reply: Some players are good in certain systems and can hide some of their flaws playing in the "sticks" (i.e. Sour Lake) ;D

If I remember correctly, the D-1 school wasn't big-time enough for the talent.

[quote name="BLUEDOVE3" post="816635" timestamp="1278536440"]
[quote author=LAZEEK link=topic=67026.msg787300#msg787300 date=1270656911]
[/quote]wow! Look at all the good posts I missed. It's ol but I want to reply: Some players are good in certain systems and can hide some of their flaws playing in the "sticks" (i.e. Sour Lake) ;D

[/quote]

As much as it pains me to agree with you dove(even though you live in Hamshire so the i.e. sticks comment is the pot calling the kettle black) you are exactly on point.

[quote name="sleepy" post="816726" timestamp="1278593839"]
[quote author=BLUEDOVE3 link=topic=67026.msg816635#msg816635 date=1278536440]

[/quote]

As much as it pains me to agree with you dove(even though you live in Hamshire so the i.e. sticks comment is the pot calling the kettle black) you are exactly on point.
[/quote]aH-HHH, I feel as if I am making some headway now. Da Dovism movement has some fire under it :D

What many people around here fail to realize is that 90% of the time a great player on the 3A level can't even play in the Southland Conference.  I am gonna give an example that I have given several times.

Kenyon Spears- 3 time all state.  Averaged 28 points and 13 rebounds and just under 10 asst his senior year.  Almost a triple double which is unheard of.  6'3 and perfect build and combination of athleticism and basketball savy to be a college basketball player.  Had full scholarships to three southland schools but held out for offers from bigger schools. Never got those offers so he Ended up walking on at Lamar and having a nice career there.  He is one of the all time leaders in 3 point shooting and maybe one other statistical category.  My point is this is arguably the best player to ever where an HJ uniform and one of the top 10 3A players to EVER come from this area and look what he did.  People just need to realize besides a few exceptions the great 3A players here are a dime a dozen in Houston.

Guest tigersvoice
[quote name="BLUEDOVE3" post="816742" timestamp="1278596387"]
[quote author=sleepy link=topic=67026.msg816726#msg816726 date=1278593839]
[quote author=BLUEDOVE3 link=topic=67026.msg816635#msg816635 date=1278536440]

[/quote]

[/quote]aH-HHH, I feel as if I am making some headway now. Da Dovism movement has some fire under it :D
[/quote]

Hey Dove, all you need to do is make sense when you post and most people will love you.  Your trouble has been. . .well, you know what your trouble has been. ;D

[quote name="sleepy" post="816748" timestamp="1278598348"]
What many people around here fail to realize is that 90% of the time a great player on the 3A level can't even play in the Southland Conference.  I am gonna give an example that I have given several times.

Kenyon Spears- 3 time all state.  Averaged 28 points and 13 rebounds and just under 10 asst his senior year.  Almost a triple double which is unheard of.  6'3 and perfect build and combination of athleticism and basketball savy to be a college basketball player.  Had full scholarships to three southland schools but held out for offers from bigger schools. Never got those offers so he Ended up walking on at Lamar and having a nice career there.  He is one of the all time leaders in 3 point shooting and maybe one other statistical category.  My point is this is arguably the best player to ever where an HJ uniform and one of the top 10 3A players to EVER come from this area and look what he did.  People just need to realize besides a few exceptions the great 3A players here are a dime a dozen in Houston.
[/quote] Wow! You came straight to the point, didn't you? The truth can be oh so raw at times. This is why you have to play against as much competition as you can, to gauge your true talents and weaknesses. This is my common belief in any sports one may participate in at any age. Ask "Team Sneed " 8th graders what happened when they ran into some 7th graders a few weeks ago. You can hide within your 2-a, 3-a, 4-a, & even 5-a systems and be "da man." But eventually, players will have to come out from under their systems, be exposed and try and find an Unsigned Senior event to attend.

[quote name="BLUEDOVE3" post="816756" timestamp="1278599996"]
[quote author=sleepy link=topic=67026.msg816748#msg816748 date=1278598348]

[/quote] Wow! You came straight to the point, didn't you? The truth can be oh so raw at times. This is why you have to play against as much competition as you can, to gauge your true talents and weaknesses. This is my common belief in any sports one may participate in at any age. Ask "Team Sneed " 8th graders what happened when they ran into some 7th graders a few weeks ago. You can hide within your 2-a, 3-a, 4-a, & even 5-a systems and be "da man." But eventually, players will have to come out from under their systems, be exposed and try and find an Unsigned Senior event to attend.
[/quote]

Tigersvoice is correct dove.  You are right most of them time however your attempts to constantly downgrade what kids do gets old.  You clearly understand basketball but what these kids accomplish is great no matter what.  It may be on a different level but it still is worth celebrating and congratulating on here as we have lots of pride in our schools.  We understand that the kids are not going to big time d1 programs but with that said what they do is still a big deal to us and also teaches the kids life lessons. 

[quote name="sleepy" post="816777" timestamp="1278606472"]
[quote author=BLUEDOVE3 link=topic=67026.msg816756#msg816756 date=1278599996]
What many people around here fail to realize is that 90% of the time a great player on the 3A level can't even play in the Southland Conference.  I am gonna give an example that I have given several times.

Kenyon Spears- 3 time all state.  Averaged 28 points and 13 rebounds and just under 10 asst his senior year.  Almost a triple double which is unheard of.  6'3 and perfect build and combination of athleticism and basketball savy to be a college basketball player.  Had full scholarships to three southland schools but held out for offers from bigger schools. Never got those offers so he Ended up walking on at Lamar and having a nice career there.  He is one of the all time leaders in 3 point shooting and maybe one other statistical category.  My point is this is arguably the best player to ever where an HJ uniform and one of the top 10 3A players to EVER come from this area and look what he did.  People just need to realize besides a few exceptions the great 3A players here are a dime a dozen in Houston.
[/quote]

Tigersvoice is correct dove.  You are right most of them time however your attempts to constantly downgrade what kids do gets old.  You clearly understand basketball but what these kids accomplish is great no matter what.  It may be on a different level but it still is worth celebrating and congratulating on here as we have lots of pride in our schools.  We understand that the kids are not going to big time d1 programs but with that said what they do is still a big deal to us and also teaches the kids life lessons.  
[/quote]Wait a minute! I only talk down to Hardin-Jefferson and thats because they have a successful program, and I'm jealous!

Didn't mean to downgrade at all. Reality check! By high school, everyone should be caught up or sitting on the bench. This area has way too many unsigned seniors. Why? Lack of preparation? Lack of competition to get better? I truly believe if you have a decent skill level, you will get a scholarship. But we (parents and players) need to really be honest and secure enough to evaluate the skill level of these kids who want to go to the next level. I used Team Sneed 14u as an example because they recently played a team and I saw the game. Team Sneed is a good team but their flaws were also highlighted. Thats how you get better by recognizing your flaws (not always easy to do) and working on them. It's reality and I can't sugar coat it.

Maybe if some of the "Coaches and Assn't Coaches" stop worrying about themselves and their records, and stop playing Legacy and other water-downed basketball programs around here and schedule some bigger programs where some scouts might be at, instead of playing teams where only parents attend the games. Go play some ranked 4a and 5a schools. When was the last time Hj has even played a ranked 4a or 5a school?? Promote the kids, let us see for ourselves if they can play on the same court as guys going D1 instead of getting on here and telling us their not good enuff. Maybe the coach and his staff will get exposed instead of the players. I witnessed both all-state players from this area  get theirs against other all state players in the Tabc all state game. Matter of fact, They Started!! ;)  It was sad to say i think only 1 guy at the time didn't even have a Juco offer. It was quite embarrassing for the young man when everyone was asking him where was he going. But hey, it is what it is. Go coach some games where you don't always have the best athlete or bball player on the court.

• 4 weeks later...
[quote name="Betrayed" post="816857" timestamp="1278620541"]
Maybe if some of the "Coaches and Assn't Coaches" stop worrying about themselves and their records, and stop playing Legacy and other water-downed basketball programs around here and schedule some bigger programs where some scouts might be at, instead of playing teams where only parents attend the games. Go play some ranked 4a and 5a schools. When was the last time Hj has even played a ranked 4a or 5a school?? Promote the kids, let us see for ourselves if they can play on the same court as guys going D1 instead of getting on here and telling us their not good enuff. Maybe the coach and his staff will get exposed instead of the players. I witnessed both all-state players from this area  get theirs against other all state players in the Tabc all state game. Matter of fact, They Started!! ;)  It was sad to say i think only 1 guy at the time didn't even have a Juco offer. It was quite embarrassing for the young man when everyone was asking him where was he going. But hey, it is what it is. Go coach some games where you don't always have the best athlete or bball player on the court.
[/quote]

honestly I think the coaches are worried about a bad loss, than just losing in general. I will give cleveland hs and stafford hs some credit they are willing to play up no matter how bad they will lose.

[quote name="jabu84" post="823312" timestamp="1281079118"]
[quote author=Betrayed link=topic=67026.msg816857#msg816857 date=1278620541]
[/quote]

honestly I think the coaches are worried about a bad loss, than just losing in general. I will give cleveland hs and stafford hs some credit they are willing to play up no matter how bad they will lose.
[/quote]I agree. Don't leave out Silsbee and Kountze!!

[quote name="BLUEDOVE3" post="816798" timestamp="1278609549"]
[quote author=sleepy link=topic=67026.msg816777#msg816777 date=1278606472]
[quote author=BLUEDOVE3 link=topic=67026.msg816756#msg816756 date=1278599996]
What many people around here fail to realize is that 90% of the time a great player on the 3A level can't even play in the Southland Conference.  I am gonna give an example that I have given several times.

Kenyon Spears- 3 time all state.  Averaged 28 points and 13 rebounds and just under 10 asst his senior year.  Almost a triple double which is unheard of.  6'3 and perfect build and combination of athleticism and basketball savy to be a college basketball player.  Had full scholarships to three southland schools but held out for offers from bigger schools. Never got those offers so he Ended up walking on at Lamar and having a nice career there.  He is one of the all time leaders in 3 point shooting and maybe one other statistical category.  My point is this is arguably the best player to ever where an HJ uniform and one of the top 10 3A players to EVER come from this area and look what he did.  People just need to realize besides a few exceptions the great 3A players here are a dime a dozen in Houston.
[/quote]

Tigersvoice is correct dove.  You are right most of them time however your attempts to constantly downgrade what kids do gets old.  You clearly understand basketball but what these kids accomplish is great no matter what.  It may be on a different level but it still is worth celebrating and congratulating on here as we have lots of pride in our schools.  We understand that the kids are not going to big time d1 programs but with that said what they do is still a big deal to us and also teaches the kids life lessons.  
[/quote]Wait a minute! I only talk down to Hardin-Jefferson and thats because they have a successful program, and I'm jealous!

Didn't mean to downgrade at all. Reality check! By high school, everyone should be caught up or sitting on the bench. This area has way too many unsigned seniors. Why? Lack of preparation? [color=red]Lack of competition to get better? [/color]I truly believe if you have a decent skill level, you will get a scholarship. But we (parents and players) need to really be honest and secure enough to evaluate the skill level of these kids who want to go to the next level. I used Team Sneed 14u as an example because they recently played a team and I saw the game. Team Sneed is a good team but their flaws were also highlighted. Thats how you get better by recognizing your flaws (not always easy to do) and working on them. It's reality and I can't sugar coat it.
[/quote] Lack of competition to get better?

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    TankParrish83
    Newest Member
    TankParrish83