Rebel Baseball Opens Today!

With the unfortunate end to the Rebels basketball season Evadale can still take heart as the Rebels hit the diamond today. One thing about 1A sports the next one is always only a day behind the last season.

The Rebels will return a veteran team that lost in the regional semi final last season as only two seniors graduated from last years team.

Junior All State DH Tyler Tucker will get plenty of attention and he will challenge the new Green Monster in left field at Rebel Ballpark.

The Rebels will bring back plenty of pitching this season with senior Hayden DuBose, juniors Dustin Potts, Chris Harvey and Tucker might even see some time on the hill. The Rebels also have a couple of talented pitchers who were on the JV squad past season.

The Rebel infield returns intact from 2009 with Tucker on 1st, senior Tyler Ousley on 2nd Potts at Short Stop and Dubose at 3rd and junior catcher Billy Nichols.

Harvey can play 3rd as well and Devon Murphy can pitch or play SS. Look for junior Chase Franklin to play multiple positions to get his bat in the line up. Senior Dillon Anthony will likely be in center field with other good gloves and fast feet vying for the start in left.

New skipper Billy Bryant takes over for Mark Williams, but don't think that Coach Will will be too far away as he will be working to help develop younger, new talent while still being involved with the varsity Rebels.

There are high hopes for this years baseball team, but only time will tell if the Rebels can return to their form of last year and once again make a playoff run. All the pieces are in place and soon the ump will say "play ball!" and then we will see what happens!

Evadel will have a great team this year, but unfortunately they will have some problems on the mound. They dont have any dominating pitchers and the ones they have will not be enough. For a deep playoff run. This team will win some games but i promise you it won't be because the pitching. Evadel has some sticks, i look for the potts kid to lead off, leaving one of the more dominating catchers in the district to be in the number 2 spot, with tucker batting third, batting clean up probably the new move in the franklin kid. Next would probably be anthony. They have five solid sticks in there line up. i know the rest of the line up has a hard time hitting. The nichols kid will lead the team with the help of tucker and franklin. good luck guys  ;)

I was at practice yesterday afternoon and the Rebels have a simular advantage in baseball that they do in football and that is numbers.

There were 28 young men out at practice yesterday with 16 on the varsity and 12 on the JV. Since they did not loose a large number of players from last years team that made it to the regional semi-final there is no real reason to think that a simular run is not in the cards.

Strosfan questioned pitching as a potential problem for the Rebels, but I saw DuBose pitching yesterday and he looks pretty good especially since this is still before the first game. I know Potts and Harvey are ready both of them have been conditioning only since the end of football season. There are at least two or three others on the roster that have pitched on varsity or on JV including Tucker and Murphy. So I am not quite sure what the fan is talking about. I am not sure there are too many team from any classification that have 5 maybe 6 pitchers that you can rotate on the mound.

During fielding practice each position had at least 3 players (both varsity and JV) at every position including catcher and four in all three outfield spots.

just a reminder of what the Rebels have back
C      Nichols - Junior - All District 2009
1st    Tucker - Junior - All State DH 2009
2nd  Ousley - Senior - All district 2009
SS    Potts - Junior - All District 2009
3rd    DuBose - Senior - All District 2009
LF      Cravey - Senior
CF    Anthony - Senior - All District 2009
RF    Harvey - Junior - All District 2009

SS/3rd - Franklin - Junior - All District 2009
LF      Hawthorne - Soph
1st    Swift - Junior
C        Gore - Junior
SS      Murphy - Soph

Plenty of talent and another year of JV games means that the younger talent will be  playing and not sitting getting experience and having the chance to be on the roster during the playoffs.

I thinks that the Rebels will have an outstanding season that will top even last year and I would say that it looks good for the next several years as well.

[quote name="strosfan" post="770310" timestamp="1267671413"]
didnt mean to offend any one srry (evadel dad) lol but i watched some of yalls games last year and unless they have improved alot over the summer they wont go past the second round

[/quote]

1. I don't have a son on the team
2. Our pitchers (3 of the 4) carried the team as deep as they did last year. I agree it is difficult to replace a pitcher like Garrett Landis, but they said the same thing last year about replace the Rebel ace when it was David Drake. Let the guys play a couple of games and then the discussions about the pitching staff will be a bit more valid.

[quote name="Rebel Yeller" post="770674" timestamp="1267732599"]
[quote author=BCcardbacker link=topic=66552.msg770473#msg770473 date=1267714432]
Good luck Coach Bryant and Evadale
[/quote]

Not exactly sure why, but Coach Mark Williams is back as the Rebels skipper now. 
[/quote]

I know why. ;)

But I will let an Evadale person make that public.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    cfbswami
    Newest Member
    cfbswami