why would anyone want to be a coach?

alice

After reading the Barbers Hill and the HF threads along with many others. I wonder why anyone would want to coach these days. Parents, misguided kids, bad administrators, and petty shool board members make coaching a thankless task. Maybe we all should step back and realize the difficult task faced by teachers and coachs today and just be thankful as parents that someone cares enough about our kids to put up with us.

[quote name="ECBucFan" post="766157" timestamp="1267114156"]
[quote author=alice link=topic=66547.msg766131#msg766131 date=1267112179]
I wonder why anyone would want to coach these days. [/quote]

Love of the game.  8)
[/quote]

Forget "Love of the game"...it is because they love the kids.  Real coaches make an impact, not only on the playing field, but in the lives of their players. 

The impact that a coach (or teacher) can have on the youth of our community can FAR OUTWIEGH the negative aspects of dealing with parents that are "unruly".

"One of the greatest things you can do is to care enough about another person so that you alter the individuals life to happiness and self worth instead of living a life of sadness or self pity.  This is what makes the occupation of being a teacher (or coach) so powerful.  For who else holds such a position over other people."

I had the joy of coaching junior high girls for three years, it was one of the most rewarding jobs of my life.
Sure I had some unhappy parents, but the impact I had on the young kids under me was priceless.

Student by student today I am teaching the youth of Dayton that by believing you can succeed (not just in math, but also in other endeavors).

All that being said, good luck to Coach Gage at his new job, and all the other coaches dealing with "unruly" parents.

Guest ~old_wildcat~
[quote name="H-D BOBCAT 55" post="767014" timestamp="1267195699"]
Why would you ask such a stupid question !!! Coaches coach for the love of the game and the love of the student/athletes. Most Coaches are living a dream.
[/quote]

I don't think it's a stupid question at all...When you consider all that the coaches have to contend with..It's a hard job..more to it than just being on the sidelines..In most of the smaller schools lot's of them also teach a class,lot's of work.lot's of worry....And let's don't forget.." my boy should have that position" from the parents of players on the team,and all the unsolicited advice they get, they are heroes when they win,bad coaches when they lose......Good Question Alice.. :)

[quote name="Tyrone_Biggums" post="767198" timestamp="1267217455"]
I think they coach for the free t-shirts, the opportunity to wear shorts on a regular basis, and the exhiliration that comes from tooting on a Fox 40.
[/quote]

You are leaving out hospitality rooms, and being able to drive a school bus!!!

Guest ~old_wildcat~
[quote name="hjhawks" post="767246" timestamp="1267221748"]
[quote author=Tyrone_Biggums link=topic=66547.msg767198#msg767198 date=1267217455]
I think they coach for the free t-shirts, the opportunity to wear shorts on a regular basis, and the exhiliration that comes from tooting on a Fox 40.
[/quote]

You are leaving out hospitality rooms, and being able to drive a school bus!!!
[/quote]

Good one Hawk... :D

But this can also go for the LL coaches around the communities and also the ones that volunter countless amount of time and energy for running different Leagues and associations. Those are also thankless jobs. Trust me Ive been doing it in BH for the past 7 or 8 years.

And the same stuff I hear or read going on with the school and coaches and the same stuff that goes on the younger age groups as well. But my theroy is if you dont like it the pull your kid, move or you coach the damn thing. That normally shits them up.

Two observations I have made that parents want and think.

1 - Some parents want the ten best players on the field  -  plus their son.
2 - Some parents think college scholarships are like halloween candy - anyone can get some.

Notice I said some, not all parents feel this way but these thoughts create a lot of tension between Coaching staffs and parents.  Most parents are reasonable and grateful, but the loud and defensive parents often become a majority in our minds eye.

Nothing provokes emotions like parents that have honestly convinced themselves their kid is getting screwed.

Forget "Love of the game"...it is because they love the kids.  Real coaches make an impact, not only on the playing field, but in the lives of their players. 
[/quote]

This is so true... Some of the most influential people in my life were my coaches.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    cfbswami
    Newest Member
    cfbswami