Gracie: Canseco and Strikeforce CEO Coker meet to discuss potential MMA future

Guest baseball25

Guest baseball25
time of day.

Strikeforce CEO Scott Coker and Canseco gathered today in a San Jose, Calif.-area restaurant along with esteemed trainer Cesar Gracie to discuss the possibility of the former baseball star fighting for Strikeforce, according to Gracie, who spoke with MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) Friday before the group met.

After pictures surfaced Thursday of Canseco palling around with Gracie and Diaz brothers Nick and Nate, Gracie confirmed he had worked with the former baseball star and was impressed.

"Jose says baseball's better than football, Gracie jiu-jitsu is better than AKA (American Kickboxing Academy) and he's better than Herschel (Walker)," Gracie said. "Three strikes and you're out.

"People will be amazed what kind of shape this guy is in. He throws a head kick like Cung Le."

There's no doubt Canseco is fighting an uphill battle with mixed martial arts fans.

The former baseball star and controversial figure drew ample ridicule for his mixed martial arts debut this past May when he fought 7-foot-2 giant Hong Man Choi and tapped out to punches in just 77 seconds.

Canseco made headlines again this past week when he called out Walker after the former NFL running back made his MMA debut in January at "Strikeforce: Miami."

"I guess I may have to show Herschel Walker who the real bad boy of the sports industry is," Canseco wrote on his Twitter feed. "If the powers that be are reading, I want in."

Walker responded in kind shortly thereafter in a radio interview with "The Bob and Dan Show" on Dallas radio station 1310AM.

"Jose wants to do this for money," Walker said. "My thing is, if he wants to fight me and he thinks it's going to be a circus, I will hurt him. This is not a joke, I will hurt him, because I don't do things as a joke. I don't do this as entertainment.

"If we go out and play a flag football game, that's entertainment. We're having fun. But this MMA fighting, is real. You can get hurt, and he doesn't understand it. I do this as an MMA fighter, not as a joke."

Gracie's enthusiasm apparently is not shared by the rest of the Strikeforce organization.

Earlier today, a Strikeforce official who declined to be named said Canseco would definitely not be fighting Walker

Guest baseball25
I liked what walker did but Jose come on now lol. Strikeforce needs to start during more shows and there heavyweight needs to fight he hasn't fought in 2 yrs for them in overeem that is. Gut feeling mausia however u spell his name will be in ufc soon

i hope dana will sign mousasi soon! as for canseco, i think hes more of a legit fighter than walker, plus a fight with walker would equal huge ratings. im curious though, why does walker get a pass but canseco doesnt?

strikeforce puts on good shows with quality/entertaining fights throughout the entire card.

[quote name="silentassasin" post="762015" timestamp="1266522038"]
[quote author=baseball25 link=topic=66020.msg759412#msg759412 date=1266036460]
This is why strikeforce will never make it, stupid fights like this.
[/quote]

Amen to that one brother.
Seriously Canseco, what a joke.

[/quote]

So,,, neither of you would tune in to watch him get stomped? I would. And if he suprises us with a win, I'd like to se that too. (even though he is a big joke)

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    kofajas476
    Newest Member
    kofajas476