2010 West Hardin Football Schedule

Joharr73

Well, I wasn't going to post again but since Bobcat55 is worried about me, I'll say a few more things.

First, like CodyLB34 said, the main point I was addressing was the stacked comment. Nobody disputes that one time in the very distant past HD was a powerhouse. Also, it is not disputed that HD won state in 1979. In case anybody had forgotten, the town just replaced the original state championship sign with a new one at Bobcat Stadium. Most teams go out and win another state championship, HD just gets a new sign. But I digress. The point I am making (unsuccessfully) is that HD is irrelevant on the statewide level, or even regional level. They may "dominate" their district from time to time, but that district is traditionally one of the weakest in the state. Let's take a closer look at the last 25 years. Records for playoffs scores are available at the UIL archive page, but they only go back to 1983, and the first few years just list the state champion.

85 - did not qualify for playoffs
86 - lost to Winona 41-26 in the Area (2nd) round
87 - did not qualify for playoffs
88 - did not qualify for playoffs
89 - lost to Groveton 55 - 3 in the Bi-District (1st) round
90 - lost in first round to Alto 40-21
91 - lost in first round to Grapeland 39-6
92 - did not qualify for playoffs
93 - lost in first round to San Augustine (score not available)
94 - lost in first round to Alto 35-7
95 - did not qualify for playoffs
96 - did not qualify for playoffs
97 - did not qualify for playoffs
98 - lost to Franklin 34-19 in the Area (2nd) round
99 - lost to Garrison in the Bi-District (1st) round
00 - lost to Hemphill 32-15 in the Bi-District (1st) round
01 - did not qualify for playoffs
02 - did not qualify for playoffs
03 - lost to Timpson 26-12 in the Bi-District (1st) round
04 - lost to Normangee 29-6 in the Area (2nd) round (received a bye in the 1st round)
05 - lost to Iola 40-14 in the Area (2nd) round (received a bye in the 1st round)
06 - lost to Groveton 45-34 in the Bi-District (1st) round
07 - lost to Groveton 48-27 in the Bi-District (1st) round
08 - lost to Mart 28-0 in the Area (2nd) round (received a bye in the 1st round)
09 - lost to Lovelady 48-6 in the Area (2nd) round (received a bye in the 1st round)

In the last 25 years, HD has won 2 playoff games and has made it no deeper than the Area (2nd) round of the playoffs. They have lost to some good teams (some very good) but have not lost to the eventual state champion, let alone lost to them every year. And what does a 30 point loss to the eventual state champion mean anyway?

Anyway, back to the point. Those stacked teams of the early 90s didn't win one single playoff game. If you care about district domination, then you go find the scores and post them. Frankly, I don't care how bad HD beat teams from their district nearly 20 years ago.

On a side note, I think history can help or hinder a school and town. The tradition and history that HD has as a school could be a great thing to inspire the younger players, just like it obviously inspired you. On the other hand, it could make a school delusional and cause the residents to be stuck in the past, like 1979 for instance. I think the passion you have for your school and community is great, and that every community needs residents like you.

In 1989 H-D beat Joaquin 55-14 in the first round, then lost to Groveton. Against Alto in 1990 H-D led 15-0 after 1st Quarter and 21-13 at the half only to fade in the 2nd half. In that same season Alto led Groveton the eventual State Champion 27-26 entering the 4th quarter, only to lose 39-27. Take a look at those two teams they were the top two teams in the State. Some would argue that DeLeon might have been number 2 since that is who Groveton beat in the Championship game.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder