Long,long shot-College Scholarships

Houston Chronicle had an informative article about the pros and cons of getting an athletic scholarship. For example, basketball:
UIL participants: 75,248 (boys)

National participants 552,935

# of college scholarships 4,046.7

Pct. earning scholarship- .7%

The numbers dont lie, and the reality is most will not achieve a hoop scholarship,  so parents, make sure grades are first,  sports are second because 99%  will not play on the next level.

[quote name="BLUEDOVE3" post="756852" timestamp="1265644926"]
Houston Chronicle had an informative article about the pros and cons of getting an athletic scholarship. For example, basketball:

The numbers dont lie, and the reality is most will not achieve a hoop scholarship,   so parents, make sure grades are first,  sports are second because 99%  will not play on the next level.
[/quote]

Are you kidding?...There are going to be thousands of parents who will be on here saying you are wrong...because they have to justify their "select league, high dollar trainer, special equipment to make my kid a beast" expenses.  You can't kill their dreams, Dove, you just can't...

I mean, just because they spent $10,000 to get a $4,000 scholarship does not mean they spent money foolishly...

[quote name="elhector1" post="756855" timestamp="1265645360"]
[quote author=BLUEDOVE3 link=topic=65785.msg756852#msg756852 date=1265644926]

The numbers dont lie, and the reality is most will not achieve a hoop scholarship,   so parents, make sure grades are first,  sports are second because 99%  will not play on the next level.
[/quote]

Are you kidding?...There are going to be thousands of parents who will be on here saying you are wrong...because they have to justify their "select league, high dollar trainer, special equipment to make my kid a beast" expenses.  You can't kill their dreams, Dove, you just can't...

I mean, just because they spent $10,000 to get a $4,000 scholarship does not mean they spent money foolishly...
[/quote] :-X :-X

[quote name="loopswoop12" post="756883" timestamp="1265648940"]
But how many of those 552,935 participants are trying to go to the next level? I know tons of highschool basketball players that arent trying to make it to the next level. So I think the numbers are kind of miss leading.
[/quote]Thats true. Lets just say 150,000 want the next level. And not counting the foreign student-athletes ;D

You see lots of kids on signing day going to D3 or Juco schools where the so called scholarships won't hardly pay for books.I was fortunate enough to have 2 boys, one that got several looks from different schools on the hardwood and one that was valedictorian.The academic scholarship was a lot more money.The kids that just sign to play often come home pretty quick if they aren't happy with their surroundings.Those of you that have young kids,put some money back because the cost is staggering.

Guest bleed orange
Good thread bluedove, Hate to dissappoint you guys who have "NO" clue. My daughter's college has been paid in full at the Junior College level. So what ever you hear about the Junior College's is wrong. I have paid nothing except gas in her vehicle and maybe food. For two years my daughter's education has been paid for and not by me. Don't knock the Juco's. ;D ;D What is funny about this thread is, there is so many parents who are counting on their kid getting a college scholarship, so they don't have to pay for it. 90% did not prepare. Now they are wondering what am I to do? Good Luck is all I can say. I saved money with my daughter, was not as fortunate with my son. You live and learn. My daughter still has two more years left so the verdict is still out on her. She won't have the luxury my son did. Burn me once, you will not burn me twice.  Tough love.

Guest bleed orange
[quote name="whsalum" post="757119" timestamp="1265677288"]
You see lots of kids on signing day going to D3 or Juco schools where the so called scholarships won't hardly pay for books.I was fortunate enough to have 2 boys, one that got several looks from different schools on the hardwood and one that was valedictorian.The academic scholarship was a lot more money.The kids that just sign to play often come home pretty quick if they aren't happy with their surroundings.Those of you that have young kids,put some money back because the cost is staggering.
[/quote]

You are correct. Good post. Except for the Juco level.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    kinghoyn
    Newest Member
    kinghoyn