Coach Roc makes the coaching hotseat list

UNLV

[quote name="badndn" post="756532" timestamp="1265567775"]
[quote author=mffl link=topic=65417.msg755721#msg755721 date=1265408826]
[quote author=coachacola link=topic=65417.msg755611#msg755611 date=1265392545]
[quote]Nuno isn't coming. Add Center Harris and SF Smith to that bunch[/quote]
Mffl, did someone in the athletic department tell you this?  I have noticed that he's not on the Westwind Prep roster where he's supposedly playing this year.  I'm guessing he's still having citizenship issues.
[/quote]
Just taking a guess, we already have 4 commits, with Kyser, Lynch, Smith, and Harris. I think it seems unlikely that we will carry 6 PG's on the roster next year (Miles, Minor, Garza, Lynch, and Lopez). I could be wrong though.
[/quote]
Miles, Minor and Lynch are not PG's. They are 2's. Miles is playing the point out of necessity. Is Harris a walk-on or scholly next year? Losing three seniors and gaining a scholarship we lost from academic violations a few years back (??). Also a few players on non-BB scholly (Custer, Lopez).
[/quote]

I think Minor is a PG, he never put up big scoring numbers in HS. Doesn't roc also use the "2 PG system"?

A lot of gaurds played PG in HS because they were the best ball handlers on the team, but most are actually 2's at the next level. Minor probably falls in that category. He will never play PG for us. He is way to valuable on the defensive side of the ball. He is our Bruce Bowen! Put him on their best perimiter scorring threat. He also will knock down a few treys for ya like Bowen (just doesn't have Bowens size). His defensive intensity is contageuous.

The coaches are in the process of developing depth on the team.  They really are not far off from having ten players that can contribute.  Justin Wesley, Reggie Mathis, and EB Davis have the potential to provide valuable minutes soon.  Continue to be patient, grasshoppers.  We are going to be where we all want to be soon.

[quote name="LemonGello" post="756997" timestamp="1265661006"]
The coaches are in the process of developing depth on the team.  They really are not far off from having ten players that can contribute.  Justin Wesley, Reggie Mathis, and EB Davis have the potential to provide valuable minutes soon.  Continue to be patient, grasshoppers.  We are going to be where we all want to be soon.
[/quote]

I hope you are right.

[quote name="BLUEDOVE3" post="757397" timestamp="1265732646"]
Thought I would check in and see the flava of the thread. I see there are still some believers out there. I hope you are right.  Oh and in real basketball a guy like Miles isn't a PG nor SG. The kid can't carry the team with his skills and size.
[/quote]
::)

[quote name="BLUEDOVE3" post="757397" timestamp="1265732646"]
Thought I would check in and see the flava of the thread. I see there are still some believers out there. I hope you are right.  Oh and in real basketball a guy like Miles isn't a PG nor SG. The kid can't carry the team with his skills and size.
[/quote]

Without him, we would only have 5 wins right now.

[quote name="mffl" post="757576" timestamp="1265756296"]
[quote author=BLUEDOVE3 link=topic=65417.msg757397#msg757397 date=1265732646]
[/quote]

Without him, we would only have 5 wins right now.
[/quote]Against weak teams!!!!!!!!!!!

[quote name="badndn" post="757456" timestamp="1265740601"]
[quote author=BLUEDOVE3 link=topic=65417.msg757397#msg757397 date=1265732646]
[/quote]
::)
[/quote]The truth shall set you free!

Why???

Because he was a big name coach coming to a relatively small school.  Plus he had already had a ton of success here, albeit a long time ago.  I thought he would be able to recruit better talent than he was able to assemble.  I agree that Roc needs a little more time to see if he can get Lamar to be a consistent threat to win the conference, year in and year out.  He's done a respectable job so far, especially compared to his predecessors. 

• 3 weeks later...
[quote name="19bulldog88" post="757029" timestamp="1265665282"]
[quote author=LemonGello link=topic=65417.msg756997#msg756997 date=1265661006]
[/quote]

I hope you are right.
[/quote]

Me too.

[quote name="Aces_Full" post="758551" timestamp="1265905472"]
Why???

Because he was a big name coach coming to a relatively small school.  Plus he had already had a ton of success here, albeit a long time ago.  I thought he would be able to recruit better talent than he was able to assemble.  I agree that Roc needs a little more time to see if he can get Lamar to be a consistent threat to win the conference, year in and year out.  He's done a respectable job so far, especially compared to his predecessors. 
[/quote]

Potentially missing the SLC tourney for a second straight year is respectable? In a conference that most of the LU backers think is an inferior conference? The perenial top teams in the SLC don't miss the post season two years straight.

we can bitch all we want but roc will be here next year.tubbs isnt gonna "roc" the boat with all the ad dept's energy focused on football.if marked improvement is not made roc will be gone.he has to make the slc tourney and get some kids on the court who give us hope.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CougarCrazy124
    Newest Member
    CougarCrazy124