3000 season tickets sold so far

Guest coachacola

[quote name="AJ25" post="752587" timestamp="1264985678"]
[quote author=jhamilton link=topic=65236.msg752328#msg752328 date=1264903548]
Is the lack of support bc Lamar is a comuter school?
[/quote]

Baseball usually draws a decent amount of students.
[/quote]

That is because for the most part there is a solid product on the field year in and year out.

[quote name="AJ25" post="752587" timestamp="1264985678"]
[/quote]

Yeah. I don't go there, but like many students my age I have a lot of friends that do. None of them attend any basketball games or any other sport, I don't know why they don't. At my school, every student is at every game for every sport. I know this will change with football, but basketball will still be left hanging. Baseball usually draws a decent amount of students.
[/quote]
IMHO, it's the age old problem of not being and ATM or UT, and to a lesser extent, a part of the old Southwest Conference.  If you were not part of the SWC, you were not taken seriously when it comes to football in Texas.  It will be an uphill battle for Lamar.  It's doable as long as LU puts a competitive product on the field and has consistant winning seasons.  Oh, and have a T-shirt and cap "police" look for students wearing gear from other universities, notibly UT and ATM.  At North Texas they actually go around campus, find students with non-UNt gear, and then trade the student for whatever gear they are wearing for UNT stuff.  Then they have a "gear burning" party for all of the UT, ATM, UH, etc., trash that is turned in.  Crazy, but anything to help see nothing but "green" on the Denton campus.  Lamar should flow red.

[quote name="Green Menace" post="753070" timestamp="1265047611"]
[quote author=AJ25 link=topic=65236.msg752587#msg752587 date=1264985678]
[/quote]

Yeah. I don't go there, but like many students my age I have a lot of friends that do. None of them attend any basketball games or any other sport, I don't know why they don't. At my school, every student is at every game for every sport. I know this will change with football, but basketball will still be left hanging. Baseball usually draws a decent amount of students.
[/quote]
IMHO, it's the age old problem of not being and ATM or UT, and to a lesser extent, a part of the old Southwest Conference.  If you were not part of the SWC, you were not taken seriously when it comes to football in Texas.  It will be an uphill battle for Lamar.  It's doable as long as LU puts a competitive product on the field and has consistant winning seasons.  Oh, and have a T-shirt and cap "police" look for students wearing gear from other universities, notibly UT and ATM.  At North Texas they actually go around campus, find students with non-UNt gear, and then trade the student for whatever gear they are wearing for UNT stuff.  Then they have a "gear burning" party for all of the UT, ATM, UH, etc., trash that is turned in.  Crazy, but anything to help see nothing but "green" on the Denton campus.  Lamar should flow red.
[/quote]

I don't know how I'd feel about that.. I for one sported burnt orange all last weekend while I was in college station, and it would've been me against a bunch of (F)aggies if they tried to take my clothes. But it does show good school spirit, and for that I do have to agree.

[quote name="etbu" post="752328" timestamp="1264903548"]
[/quote]
The reason there is lack of support is because the Triangle residents identify with their hometown high school football team.
It is not just the Lamar football team that suffered...
Any one remember the Beaumont Golden Gators......

I do think the # of students living at Lamar has drastically increased since I was there in the late 80's.
This can only help the attendance at the football games.

Winning football at Lamar historically hasn't been easy, hopefully the fan support stays strong while the program builds up.

[quote name="PURPLE 4EVER" post="754592" timestamp="1265222954"]
[/quote]
The reason there is lack of support is because the Triangle residents identify with their hometown high school football team.
[/quote]

I am glad someone else thinks the same thing.  Everyone is a fanatic when it comes to there High School football but seems like a fair weather fan when it comes to Lamar sports

[quote name="PURPLE 4EVER" post="754592" timestamp="1265222954"]
[quote author=etbu link=topic=65236.msg752328#msg752328 date=1264903548]
[/quote]
[/quote]
BINGO. All the more need to recruit local talent, which Woodard has done a good job with so far.

[quote author=PURPLE 4EVER link=topic=65236.msg754592#msg754592 date=1265222954]
I do think the # of students living at Lamar has drastically increased since I was there in the late 80's.
[/quote]
Hasn't helped for Basketball yet. I am very dissapointed in the LU student sections or lack thereof. LU gets 3K-4K at every game of which maybe 200 are students in the student section. SHSU gets 2K-3K every game of which over half are students. If the students would show up (it's free for gods sake) over 1000 each night, that place would be rockin' to the tune of 5K-6K and I promise more wins. I've been there when we have big crowds and it gets loud and the team feeds off of it (BYU, Tx Tech, Both W's)

[quote name="badndn" post="755519" timestamp="1265384809"]
[quote author=PURPLE 4EVER link=topic=65236.msg754592#msg754592 date=1265222954]
[quote author=etbu link=topic=65236.msg752328#msg752328 date=1264903548]
[/quote]
[/quote]
BINGO. All the more need to recruit local talent, which Woodard has done a good job with so far.

[/quote]
Hasn't helped for Basketball yet. I am very dissapointed in the LU student sections or lack thereof. LU gets 3K-4K at every game of which maybe 200 are students in the student section. SHSU gets 2K-3K every game of which over half are students. If the students would show up (it's free for gods sake) over 1000 each night, that place would be rockin' to the tune of 5K-6K and I promise more wins. I've been there when we have big crowds and it gets loud and the team feeds off of it (BYU, Tx Tech, Both W's)
[/quote]
Doesn't look like the problem is winning at home....their road record s-u-c-k-s.

I think the student support has been a lot better this year, even with a worse team than in most years. The students will show up if we win, think back 2 years ago.. UCA, Nicholls, NWST. games.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    cfbswami
    Newest Member
    cfbswami