Cleveland vs Tarkington

[quote name="scooby" post="744766" timestamp="1263627643"]
[quote author=UKCats link=topic=64767.msg744724#msg744724 date=1263622006]
SIDE NOTE: I have been to two Tarkington games, Tarkington/New Waverly & Tarkington/Cleveland. TARKINGTON FANS, GET A GRIP! Best I can tell based on past performance this is the best team Tarkington has had in several years, but the fans are about as negative toward the coaching staff as fans come. They complain about the defense and the playing time. Cheer for kids as individuals and not the team as a whole. It's really depressing to hear. The bottom line is these kids are pretty good when they show up. But after watching them play NW to 8 and then the blow out tonight, sometimes the kids play really hard and other times they just give up. If they come to play I say they can take second in their district, but if they don't I believe Liberty could take 'em. I just hope their fans can get on board with the coaching staff and pump these kids up to play hard and finish the season with a possible playoff opportunity. Come on now guys, if you know so much about the game then apply for the job and get rid of that little leage mindset  :-\
[/quote]

I wasn't aware there was an opening.

I almost took the bait and editorialized on the uninformed comments you make but the forums is no place for that, some of the kids read this stuff...

Cleveland is good, very good, and they deserve credit for that, but not 62 points better than Tarkington from a pure talent standpoint. From all the comments made on here to the tune of "well, it was Tarkington after all" one would think some people believe Tarkington is some place where all the athletic rejects go. Do you think "our" kids are genetically inferior? That the water or nutrition in Tarkington is poor? That they should be satisfied with "going" to the playoffs and if they get drummed by the likes of Silsbee, Hj or whoever then thats good enough? What do you think the REAL difference is? You may want to do some thinking on that before you start taking mischaracterizing pot shots at "the fans" for being frustrated.

BTW, little league basketball starts in Tarkington later today. Each player will play 2 quarters regardless of ability, preparation, or effort. I agree we need to get rid of that "little league mindset" as you put it.

Cleveland is a fun team to watch but I agree that playing games that are basically not very competitive will hurt them come playoff time. I still think they will do very well in the playoffs and the entertainment level in those games will be high.
[/quote]

As far as little league is concerned giving a 6-10 year old a chance to play sounds like a fairly good idea to me.

The bottom line is support your team, coaches and players.  This group seems to be a pretty good one that is made of up of some really good kids.  Hate to see we got beat so badly, but I learn from an ex-Tarkington coach long ago that trying to run with Cleveland is a good way to get by 60 points, and he was right.

[quote name="scooby" post="744850" timestamp="1263663045"]
[quote author=Hupernikomen link=topic=64767.msg744809#msg744809 date=1263659169]

As far as little league is concerned giving a 6-10 year old a chance to play sounds like a fairly good idea to me.

[/quote]

of course it is,  but there are no 6-10 year old kids playing high school basketball.
[/quote]

and there is no coach letting every kid on the team play 2 quarters in high school either.  many of the best teams in the area have a 3 or 4 minute rotation system.  you don't find people in evadale, hj, kountze, yates etc. where I have seen this type of system complain.  typically as the game winds down your best players will be on the court hopefully with fresher legs and fewer fouls.  not a little league mentality at all, but rather a system that has several state championship trophies to show for it in our area.  takes a while for a system like this to establish itself in a program but it certainly can work.  has to start at the early groups for sure.

[quote name="scooby" post="744766" timestamp="1263627643"]

I wasn't aware there was an opening.

I almost took the bait and editorialized on the uninformed comments you make but the forums is no place for that, some of the kids read this stuff...

Cleveland is good, very good, and they deserve credit for that, but not 62 points better than Tarkington from a pure talent standpoint. From all the comments made on here to the tune of "well, it was Tarkington after all" one would think some people believe Tarkington is some place where all the athletic rejects go. Do you think "our" kids are genetically inferior? That the water or nutrition in Tarkington is poor? That they should be satisfied with "going" to the playoffs and if they get drummed by the likes of Silsbee, Hj or whoever then thats good enough? What do you think the REAL difference is? You may want to do some thinking on that before you start taking mischaracterizing pot shots at "the fans" for being frustrated.

[b]BTW, little league basketball starts in Tarkington later today. Each player will play 2 quarters regardless of ability, preparation, or effort. I agree we need to get rid of that "little league mindset" as you put it.[/b]

Cleveland is a fun team to watch but I agree that playing games that are basically not very competitive will hurt them come playoff time. I still think they will do very well in the playoffs and the entertainment level in those games will be high.
[/quote]

I assume that this means you have a kid that plays for Tarkington and you don't think they get as much playing time as they should. Actually when you bring preparation into it it sounds like you may be present at practice. . .so either you are a coach there yourself or you are speaking of things you know nothing about. UNLESS Tarkington has open gym practices???

[quote name="UKCats" post="744949" timestamp="1263678190"]
[quote author=scooby link=topic=64767.msg744766#msg744766 date=1263627643]

[b]BTW, little league basketball starts in Tarkington later today. Each player will play 2 quarters regardless of ability, preparation, or effort. I agree we need to get rid of that "little league mindset" as you put it.[/b]

[/quote]

I assume that this means you have a kid that plays for Tarkington and you don't think they get as much playing time as they should. Actually when you bring preparation into it it sounds like you may be present at practice. . .so either you are a coach there yourself or you are speaking of things you know nothing about. UNLESS Tarkington has open gym practices???

[/quote]

actually you're pretty far off, and i don't give a rats rump who does the job as long as it gets done, but a public forum ain't the place for this, pretty sure most folks aren't interested, i'm losing interest myself but i'll note that you are the one who called out the fans in a "side note" and i was simply responding to that, i didn't initiate this by bashing anybody, in fact i wasn't going to chime in at all until your side note.

the forum is for entertainment, information, education, and OPINION among other things, you stated yours and i stated mine (in a rather watered down fashion). if it's not constructive it's not worth my time or yours. if you feel the need then get your last word in because i've said mine on the subject unless there's something constructive to gain here. thanks for your input anyhow.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder