HJ wins at Aransas Pass

Guest stevenash

Nice beat-down of a 4A school.  Coach called the press off in the 2nd half.  If we could make a layup, we'd've put up a Yates-like score.  Our FT woes continue.  Still, the effort was pure Hawk.  JACOBY TURNER!!! was a man among boys.  Those Rockport players were dropping their jaws, and a few articles of clothing, because Jacoby was doing his Jacoby thing.  Sean Weldon came off the bench to add 11 pts to the effort, including a nice halftime buzzer-beating, halfcourt three.

HJ beat Odem 89-21.  Starters didn't play much.

HJ's next three tournament games will be bigger challenges, literally.  4A Calallen looks strong;  host 3A Aransas Pass gave BH a pretty good tussle tonight for nearly 3Q; BH is big, very beefy big and tall, and they have a real mean coach and vocal supporters.  I will do my best to out-scream them.  Go Hawks!

CC Calallen was told by the school's admin that they could not travel today for their games at Aransas Pass.  Therefore HJ will have a substitute opponent for it's 1:30 game.  Not sure of the team at this point.  This is VERY DISAPPOINTING as this was suppose to be the best team in the tournament.  I am sure that the replacemnt team will not be near as good of competition.

It's rainy and cold down here, but no reason for Calallen not to play us here in their own back yard.  Must be something more to their backing out than just this weather.

Poppa, we'll play AP tonight at 7:30.  Should be a good game-- they're always in Austin from Region 4, and they look better than their team last year.  Tomorrow will be the big game, against big, bad BH.  I hope, as our man swagg would say, that Eagle meat will be tender and tasty for lunch.

[quote name="PoppaBearstarr" post="723564" timestamp="1259944344"]
slam let me know when the Saturday games are I might just have to drive down and help heckle....
[/quote]

Hey Poppa, it sounds like you shouldn't try to drive through Houston today.  I'll give updates.  :( :(

Guest stevenash
[quote name="setxslam" post="723601" timestamp="1259947407"]
[quote author=PoppaBearstarr link=topic=63336.msg723564#msg723564 date=1259944344]
slam let me know when the Saturday games are I might just have to drive down and help heckle....
[/quote]

Hey Poppa, it sounds like you shouldn't try to drive through Houston today.  I'll give updates.   :( :(
[/quote]

Hearing that the substitute game will be Aransas Pass JV

Guest tigersvoice
[quote name="setxslam" post="723595" timestamp="1259946837"]
It's rainy and cold down here, but no reason for Calallen not to play us here in their own back yard.  Must be something more to their backing out than just this weather.

Poppa, we'll play AP tonight at 7:30.  Should be a good game-- they're always in Austin from Region 4, and they look better than their team last year.  Tomorrow will be the big game, against big, bad BH.  I hope, as our man swagg would say, that Eagle meat will be tender and tasty for lunch.
[/quote]

Used to have family in the Aransas Pass area and did not remember them being that strong in basketball (RE: always in Austin from Region 4).  You are right, I looked it up in the state tournament records and Aransas Pass has been in the final four in four of the last ten years - that's not too shabby.  Their shortcoming though is that they have lost all four in the first round - never played for the championship.  Now to current news; why the JV?  And, why is Calallan afraid to play the Hawks?  Things
that make you go, hmmmmmm.

Guest stevenash
[quote name="tigersvoice" post="723682" timestamp="1259955265"]
[quote author=setxslam link=topic=63336.msg723595#msg723595 date=1259946837]

[/quote]

Used to have family in the Aransas Pass area and did not remember them being that strong in basketball (RE: always in Austin from Region 4).  You are right, I looked it up in the state tournament records and Aransas Pass has been in the final four in four of the last ten years - that's not too shabby.  Their shortcoming though is that they have lost all four in the first round - never played for the championship.  Now to current news; why the JV?  And, why is Calallan afraid to play the Hawks?  Things
that make you go, hmmmmmm.
[/quote]

Read the new post regarding HJ at Aransas Pass tourney

HJ won all five games at the AP tournament:

W vs. 4A Rockport-Fulton 70-34
W vs. (3A?) Odem 89-21
W vs. 4A BH  58-55
W vs. 3A host AP  79-52
W vs. 4A Calallen  71-48

A few notes:
--Nice to see Grayson Sutherland heating up that three-ball (29 pts) this morning.
--Jacoby Turner is possibly the best defender 3A's ever seen, and very unselfish (to a fault, at times) on offense.
--Phillip Ricossa runs the floor very well for a big.
--Coach is playing a ten-man rotation, and everyone on the bench gets in most games.
--Our press is getting better.
--We are starting to move the ball better in half-court sets.
--We still need to improve our free-throw shooting; might be starting to see the FT% climb a tiny bit.  Trent Nobles is doing a good job helping us there.
--Sean Prudhomme is improving all-around.  Nice to see this lanky sophomore getting better each game...
--Our players are great kids, a pleasure to be around. On the court, they will mess up, but they will never quit.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Ryzxed
    Newest Member
    Ryzxed