All Golden Triangle team.

vp13

[quote name="SgtRey" post="701521" timestamp="1257692738"]
I don't know enough people....well, smaller schools...3A and below.
[/quote]

ditto...that's the problem with the all-state selection process as well. The Texas Sportswriters Association puts together the All-State team each year and, although it's not intentional, there is obviously a good bit of "guessing" that goes along with it. At high profile positions (rb/qb, etc.), it would be easy to gather stats, etc. and be able to make a somewhat educated pick but I am always suspicious of lineman picks. There are no stats to go by and I just don't see how a sportswriter from one corner of the state is going to be able to accurately assess the abilities of OL/DL players around a state the size of Texas (or even in their own backyard for that matter). No offense to lineman who have garnered All-State honors but I have to wonder how many better players have been overlooked through the years. It may seem like no big deal but when you consider that earning All-State honors definitely ups your chance of a college scholarship, it is a big deal. And, even stats can be misleading and human reasoning can also interfere.

Case in point; I remember a few years back when Troy Davis (RB, Iowa State) rushed for over 2,000 yds (I think for his second year in a row) but he was not awarded the Heisman because he played at Iowa State and the Cyclones were not exactly a powerhouse (little exposure, etc.). Now, I may not be the smartest guy in the world but I have to assume that if Davis could run for over 2,000 yards for a "weak" Iowa State team then perhaps he could've done even more behind the Nebraska OL that same year. Apparently, this reasoning slipped the minds of the Heisman voters.

Sorry to ramble but I just find the whole "selection" process to be fickle at best, just like the ranking process. No matter how accurate you try to be, there is still a great deal of opinion/guessing/bias involved.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Ryzxed
    Newest Member
    Ryzxed