A Couple of South Texas Bucks Shot Last Week

jdawg03

By the way, what do the horns of a trophy deer taste like?

What does the meat of a trophy deer taste like?  95% will tell you they would rather have beef, which is much easier to come by.

I personally believe that is an incorrect statement. I think that it is more like 98.5%.

And to your intent in rebuttal of bassman, anyone that shoot a deer "for meat" is in a losing proposition unless he is shooting it out the back door of his home. Out of the billions spent by deer hunters in Texas each year, it isn't in order to get backstraps or ground meat.

[quote name="tvc184" post="681247" timestamp="1256043328"]
Better 6 deer with 5 of them does.

I can't get over the fact that some people think that does should have some kind of protection or shouldn't be killed.
[/quote]

I would never say that the whole family should shoot off one tag but it totally pisses me off to see this one family taking out 6 bucks.  They start out with shooting 8 points (and any 8pt at that) and by the time they are done they are hammering away at anything.  I laugh when I see a spike with 4"horns and they call it a "longhorn spike". 

[quote name="tvc184" post="681493" timestamp="1256061648"]
[quote author=westend1 link=topic=60874.msg681429#msg681429 date=1256057040]
[quote author=bassman link=topic=60874.msg681395#msg681395 date=1256054344]
By the way, what do the horns of a trophy deer taste like?
[/quote]

What does the meat of a trophy deer taste like?  95% will tell you they would rather have beef, which is much easier to come by.
[/quote]

I personally believe that is an incorrect statement. I think that it is more like 98.5%.

And to your intent in rebuttal of bassman, anyone that shoot a deer "for meat" is in a losing proposition unless he is shooting it out the back door of his home. Out of the billions spent by deer hunters in Texas each year, it isn't in order to get backstraps or ground meat.
[/quote]

I am one that is in it for the hobby, the meat is a little bit of recoup.  I consider myself a Ted Nugent type.  i can get hyped up with buck fever over any deer.  It doesn't have to be a big buck.

I was once a bowhunter and put an arrow in the lungs of a monster buck that I allowed 30 min.to start following the blood trail and never found him after another day of searching.I now hunt in a thicket w/Benelli 12 ga.3 1/2 in.mag.copper plated 00 buck and they don't go far w/head shot.As for the horn restrictions they suck.Example my biggest buck killed out of Burkeville a few years ago was a 8 point that had a 12''spread.That deer field dressed 145 lbs and was the heaviest taken in yrs.on that lease.Deer around the Nagcodoches area are big bodied sm.rack deer.With the heavy logging of hardwood timber the deer are in poor condition as the few acorns are being devoured by the huge population of wild hogs.Rita/Ike took down hundreds of thousands of oak trees to add to the raping of our forests.The sportsmen of Texas are directly responsible somewhat for the health and well being of the deer population w/plots and feeders and thats the truth.The majority are skilled,patient hunters in SETX.It's the wanna be big city hunters that figure they paid for the right to kill anything that moves.Hunter deaths prove that every year.

[quote name="liltex" post="690059" timestamp="1256871790"]
I was once a bowhunter and put an arrow in the lungs of a monster buck that I allowed 30 min.to start following the blood trail and never found him after another day of searching.I now hunt in a thicket w/Benelli 12 ga.3 1/2 in.mag.copper plated 00 buck and they don't go far w/head shot.As for the horn restrictions they suck.Example my biggest buck killed out of Burkeville a few years ago was a 8 point that had a 12''spread.That deer field dressed 145 lbs and was the heaviest taken in yrs.on that lease.Deer around the Nagcodoches area are big bodied sm.rack deer.[/quote]

I was bowhunting in south Texas this last weekend when a 17 year old from Bridge City shot and killed a 6.5 year old buck that weighed in at just under 200 pounds. The buck would not have made the antler restrictions. The reason they don't have restrictions is because they aren't known for killing 1.5 year old deer or fawns. The AR's aren't perfect but the hunters brought it on themselves. When I was in high school we had no limit in either possession or size for speckled trout either. We would go out to catch and keep over 100 of them 10" long. I never knew that specks got over 14". Now I wouldn't think of keeping a 14" speck even if it was legal. I think it will be the same with the deer if they get more than 2.5 years old.

If someone wants to kill everything that moves, get into the MLD program and you can eventually take any deer that you want as long as the quotas are met and you can do it over a 5 month period with guns.

[quote]With the heavy logging of hardwood timber the deer are in poor condition as the few acorns are being devoured by the huge population of wild hogs.Rita/Ike took down hundreds of thousands of oak trees to add to the raping of our forests.The sportsmen of Texas are directly responsible somewhat for the health and well being of the deer population w/plots and feeders and thats the truth.The majority are skilled,patient hunters in SETX.It's the wanna be big city hunters that figure they paid for the right to kill anything that moves.Hunter deaths prove that every year.
[/quote]

I think that a vast majority of people that are killing baby deer are native to the se Texas Piney Woods. The people that are killing every deer that they see aren't from the big cities. They are hunting in west and south Texas where the mature deer are.

• 2 months later...
BF,

Thanks for sharing.  Those are some dandies  Your right, they sure have the game down there and can grow some impressive bucks.  I have hunted in Texas 3 times all three with the Northwest Hunter Show and saw tons of game including some very impressive bucks.  I saw one that would have been close to 190-200" range.  Very impressive deer  I hope to make it back down there some day soon.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CougarCrazy124
    Newest Member
    CougarCrazy124