Congrats Sun Devils

MIF04

Guest Ranger83

2009 PG National Championship (Upperclass)

9/24/2009 - 9/28/2009

SE Texas Sun Devils

Coach: Matt Thompson/Chip Ferguson

Assistants: JR Bardin, Jimmy Neale, Glenn Cecchini/Raisa Cecchini

No. Name Position Ht Wt B/T Yr. High School Hometown State College

2  Cecchini, Gavin MIF P  6-0  170 R/R  2012 Lake Charles Barbe Lake Charles LA 

3/6  Statum, Jace OF P  5-8  144 L/L  2010 Orangefield Orange TX 

8  Robertson, Joseph 2B C/MIF  5-7  172 R/R  2010 Bridge City Bridge City TX 

9  Henderson, Will OF 3B  5-10  140 R/R  2010 West Brook Beaumont TX 

10  Waddell, Shane P 1B/OF  6-2  180 R/R  2010 Little Cypress-Mauriceville Mauriceville TX 

11  Sawyer, Nick P MIF  5-10  172 R/R  2010 Hebron Carrollton TX 

12/11  Morgan, Aaron OF 3B/Util  6-1  160 R/R  2010 West Brook Sour Lake TX 

13  Walker, Taijuan P SS  6-4  190 S/R  2010 Yuciapa Yuciapa CA 

14  Comford, Ryan MIF  5-11  170 R/R  2010 Saguaro Scottsdale AZ 

15  Blackmar, Mark OF P  6-2  200 R/R  2010 Mary Carroll Corpus Christi TX 

16  Cecchini, Garin MIF 3B  6-3  205 R/R  2010 Lake Charles Barbe Lake Charles LA 

18  Smith, Sam P  6-4  200 R/R  2011 Lake Charles Barbe Lake Charles LA 

20  Rosado, Hommy 1B OF  6-0  205 R/R  2010 Lake Charles Barbe Lake Charles LA 

22/20  Hester, Trae' P 1B/OF  6-0  170 L/L  2010 Vidor Vidor TX 

23  Davis, Trae P OF  6-0  190 R/R  2010 Mexia  Mexia TX 

24  Dishon, Cameron OF  5-10  165 R/R  2012 Bridge City Beaumont TX 

25  Felts, Jacob C Util  6-0  190 R/R  2010 Orangefield Orange TX 

30  Child, Dan P  6-5  230 R/R  2010 Jesuit Rocklin CA 

31  West, Jared P  6-4  170 R/L  2012 Captain Shreve Shreveport LA 

37  Bielitz, Ryan P  6-1  210 L/L  2011 Woodlands Woodlands TX 

2009 PG National Championship (Upperclass)

9/24/2009 - 9/28/2009

SE Texas Sun Devils

Coach: Matt Thompson/Chip Ferguson

Assistants: JR Bardin, Jimmy Neale, Glenn Cecchini/Raisa Cecchini

No. Name Position Ht Wt B/T Yr. High School Hometown State College

2  Cecchini, Gavin MIF P  6-0  170 R/R  2012 Lake Charles Barbe Lake Charles LA   

3/6  Statum, Jace OF P  5-8  144 L/L  2010 Orangefield Orange TX   

8  Robertson, Joseph 2B C/MIF  5-7  172 R/R  2010 Bridge City Bridge City TX   

9  Henderson, Will OF 3B  5-10  140 R/R  2010 West Brook Beaumont TX   

10  Waddell, Shane P 1B/OF  6-2  180 R/R  2010 Little Cypress-Mauriceville Mauriceville TX   

11  Sawyer, Nick P MIF  5-10  172 R/R  2010 Hebron Carrollton TX   

12/11  Morgan, Aaron OF 3B/Util  6-1  160 R/R  2010 West Brook Sour Lake TX   

13  Walker, Taijuan P SS  6-4  190 S/R  2010 Yuciapa Yuciapa CA   

14  Comford, Ryan MIF  5-11  170 R/R  2010 Saguaro Scottsdale AZ   

15  Blackmar, Mark OF P  6-2  200 R/R  2010 Mary Carroll Corpus Christi TX   

16  Cecchini, Garin MIF 3B  6-3  205 R/R  2010 Lake Charles Barbe Lake Charles LA   

18  Smith, Sam P  6-4  200 R/R  2011 Lake Charles Barbe Lake Charles LA   

20  Rosado, Hommy 1B OF  6-0  205 R/R  2010 Lake Charles Barbe Lake Charles LA   

22/20  Hester, Trae' P 1B/OF  6-0  170 L/L  2010 Vidor Vidor TX   

23  Davis, Trae P OF  6-0  190 R/R  2010 Mexia  Mexia TX   

24  Dishon, Cameron OF  5-10  165 R/R  2012 Bridge City Beaumont TX   

25  Felts, Jacob C Util  6-0  190 R/R  2010 Orangefield Orange TX   

30  Child, Dan P  6-5  230 R/R  2010 Jesuit Rocklin CA   

31  West, Jared P  6-4  170 R/L  2012 Captain Shreve Shreveport LA   

37  Bielitz, Ryan P  6-1  210 L/L  2011 Woodlands Woodlands TX   

Lots of talent on that list.

Guest Ranger83

What does SE stand for "send everyone". 8 Players from southeast texas by my count. But still a heck of a showing at that event.

The Sundevils find the best talent. Period.

What does SE stand for "send everyone". 8 Players from southeast texas by my count. But still a heck of a showing at that event.

First, we do try to find the best talent.  That includes spreading our wings to include Baytown/Barbers Hill and over into SW Louisiana.  Beyond that, we do pick up a player from outside our radar but that is usually when (a) the player approaches us, (B) a scout/agent/advisor approaches us or © someone like Perfect Game asks that we take someone on.  Every now and then, we also have college coaches ask us to do that (e.g. Ole Miss, LSU, and San Jac come to mind).

Second, our core remains SE Texas.  At last count, we had nearly 20 players on our team that are SE Texans.  Of course, not all of them went to Tucson (football, injury, couldn't miss school, conflicts).  They are (and I hope I didn't miss anybody):

Kirby Bellow (Ned)

Cameron Dishon (BC)

Tyler Erickson (Lum)

Jacob Felts (OF)

Will Henderson (WB)

Caleb Henry (Silsbee)

Trae Hester (Vidor)

Darrian James (WB)

Colby Jenkins (Silsbee)

Caleb Kellogg (BC – now back in La)

Matt Menard (BC)

Aaron Morgan (WB)

Joe Robertson (BC)

Ronnie Sanchez (PAM)

Trevin Sonnier (Ned)

Jace Statum (OF)

Shane Waddell (LCM)

Brantley Wilson (Kelly)

If you move west a few miles, you have very talented guys such as Price Jacobs (Goose Creek) and Tyler Beasley (Barb Hill).  If you go into SW La, you find guys like Garin Cecchini (USA National Team), Gavin Cecchini, Hommy Rosado and Sam Smith.

Hope this helps.

Guest Ranger83

Yea, kinda like George Steinbrenner does...

Don't hate us, 'cause you ain't us!

The Sundevils organization is first class top to bottom.

Ain't no haten going on here, Yankees are first class also BUT on a somewhat larger stage, just proves my point DEEP pockets get who they want>> most of the time<<, till someone better comes along and that seems to be what has happened to the Sundevils in the past cpl of yrs. This is NOT my 2cents its a a whole two bits worth....

Guest Ranger83

Ain't no haten going on here, Yankees are first class also BUT on a somewhat larger stage, just proves my point DEEP pockets get who they want>> most of the time<<, till someone better comes along and that seems to be what has happened to the Sundevils in the past cpl of yrs. This is NOT my 2cents its a a whole two bits worth....

The Sundevils are helping high school athletes get to the "next level" of baseball. They provide "exposure" for their players. That is the most important thing they do. What you do as a player when afforded that opportunity is up to you.

They may not win every game, but I can assure you they have the talent to compete with any organization in the country (or this state). Stop by the practice facility some day and look at the banners. You will not find any celebration of USSSA -Double A -Donkey National Championships, it's about the players that have signed with universities or have been drafted into MLB. It's an impressive list!

A whole lot of jealousy my friend will get you no where. The Sundevils are a first class organization and like Ranger said they are all about getting kids exposure and to the next level. Whats wrong with that? Its not about winning Championships its about getting there so the kids can get exposure.  I think you will not find a better run organization in the country. Maybe after Nov 12th MIF will list a 2010 signees for you double play.

Hey I am not hating the sundevils. I agree they do a great job. It just appeared to me from their most recent roster they seem to be leaning more and more out of "south east" texas with only 8 of 20 being from what I would consider southeast texas. I am a south east texas guy, and you all have done well by the kids in this area. Just hope yawl trend back the other direction. If I have a bad read on the current roster then I apologize. My first post was meant to be sort of a joke.

The reply from ESPN2 is exactly what I'm speaking of, I would love to go to their facility and watch the AZ and Ca boys practice along with OUR SE Texas boys just tell me when. With the roster shown it and a bankroll to solicit the best players from SEVERAL states it would or should be a guarentee of 100% going to the next level be it JUCO, D1, D2, or MLB would it not ?? You also speak of exposure as I have when I came here a cpl of yrs back, your 100% correct as I have said "thats the #1 reason good players go nowhere", kinda like a woman trying to get preg if she don't expose herself its NOT gonna happen. What happened to the team that HAD all SE Texas area players of not so long ago, I guess they 'spread their wings' although I would call it something different, are ya'll going South of the border scouting in the near future. Seems as if a roster could be filled with somewhat local talent as Mike Rutledge does with the Houston area boys, check his % of players going to the next level and get this its on the players dime, he has been doing this for 20+yrs. I would much rather see a local boys exposed and go to a lowly JUCO but what we do see is local boys being passed up to get some exposure for some yahoos from AZ or Ca so they can attend a D1 as it looks better on the >>SE Texas<< Sundevils resume.....I do aplaud Chip on what he does BUT.

643, you bring up some very good points.  However, keep in mind a few things.  First of all, not every organization is established just to get kids to JUCO.  The SunDevils shoot for the highest level - MLB draft.  In order to get kids seen by MLB teams, many times you have to qualify for Perfect Game Tournaments and other "invite only" tournaments that allow kids to showcase their talent in front of these scouts.  In order to qualify for these tournaments, you have to be among the best teams in the country.  Taking it a step further, in order to be one of the best teams in the country, many times you need to have the best players in the  COUNTRY.  I know the fact that some players from outside SE TX on the Sun Devils roster doesn't sit well with some, but the focus of that organization is to shoot for the highest level of exposure for its players.  Rather than scorn Mr. Ferguson for his inclusion of non Texas players, applaud him for setting up an organization that allows SE TX players exposure on the national stage, at the highest levels.

Last year, with Morgan Walker's approval, I established the Gladiator Baseball organization for players age 15-18.  We held open tryouts, had a competitive team.  In fact, our 16 year old team made PG Crosschecker's top 20 list for the Sunbelt region.  However, the one thing I learned very quickly is that some of the "bigger tournaments" are exclusive to the best teams in the country.  Being a new team, we were not able to get into some of these elite tournaments.  The other thing I learned very quickly is that not all the SE TX players stay to play in SE TX.  Bullet Baseball in Lake Charles has SE TX players on their rosters, as do Louisiana AllStars.  Houston teams have many SE TX players on their roster.  So it is a two-way street.  Players are not always loyal and exclusive to SE TX teams either.

I personally applaud Mr. Ferguson and his staff for all they do for the baseball players of SETX.  Our area is very fortunate to have Chip Ferguson and others like Morgan Walker, Chris Fackler, Sam Moore, et. al., who can help our local players bring their game to the next level.  But 643, I also respect your opinions.  You and ESPN make some very good points.  However, to allow players to be seen at the level SunDevils strive for, sometimes you need to upgrade a position.  In their case, it happens to be with a top 20 prospect or two.

There are other organizations for SE TX players to be seen by colleges, including Gladiators, GTB, TPX Baseball, etc. 

Dave Morrow

Gladiator Baseball

www.gladiatorbaseball.org

Bmtball I do respect and appreciate what Chip has done helping boys to the next level, I have posted the same on this and numerous other threads. I have had close friends boys on, and followed the team since day one, just not as much as of late because of the above mentioned. I always thought they were a 'shoot for a D1, JUCOs OK and the MLB would be a bonus' type of team, not one as you mentioned and yes there is NO dought you would have to solicit players from outside Texas much less the GT, just to be able to compete. For me though, I admired Chips original idea of helping our local boys get to the next level>>>>college....I'm done....BTW I appreciate what your doing also

• 2 months later...
[quote name="643" post="661539" timestamp="1254482543"]
[quote author=Ranger83 link=topic=60019.msg659212#msg659212 date=1254252594]
[quote author=espn2 link=topic=60019.msg659195#msg659195 date=1254251558]
What does SE stand for "send everyone". 8 Players from southeast Texas by my count. But still a heck of a showing at that event.
[/quote]

[/quote]Yea, kinda like George Steinbrenner does...
[/quote]it's really sad to see people dog a man with money who is trying to( very successfully if I may say) help get as much local talent to the next level.  His program has proven itself time and time again and I for one and very thankful he and his coaching staff saw the potential in my son and added
him to the roster( we are from SE). 
I guess some people think his money would be better spent somewhere else and that's a shame.  So many young men wouldn't be where they are today without this organization.  So thank you Chip and all your coaches for all your time and effort with our boys! 

[quote name="1696dogs" post="725205" timestamp="1260133199"]
[quote author=643 link=topic=60019.msg661539#msg661539 date=1254482543]
What does SE stand for "send everyone". 8 Players from southeast Texas by my count. But still a heck of a showing at that event.
[/quote]

[/quote]it's really sad to see people dog a man with money who is trying to( very successfully if I may say) help get as much local talent to the next level.  His program has proven itself time and time again and I for one and very thankful he and his coaching staff saw the potential in my son and added
I guess some people think his money would be better spent somewhere else and that's a shame.  [b]So many young men wouldn't be where they are today without this organization[/b].  So thank you Chip and all your coaches for all your time and effort with our boys! 

[/quote]

Yes they would. If they are good, colleges will find them.  Sounds like the sundevils are getting all the credit for the kids. Heck either the kid is good and gets a scholarship, or he is not good, and doesn't.

Guest GCMPats
[quote name="rounder17" post="726756" timestamp="1260331300"]
[quote author=1696dogs link=topic=60019.msg725205#msg725205 date=1260133199]
[quote author=643 link=topic=60019.msg661539#msg661539 date=1254482543]
[/quote]

I guess some people think his money would be better spent somewhere else and that's a shame.  [b]So many young men wouldn't be where they are today without this organization[/b].  So thank you Chip and all your coaches for all your time and effort with our boys! 

[/quote]

Yes they would. If they are good, colleges will find them.  Sounds like the sundevils are getting all the credit for the kids. Heck either the kid is good and gets a scholarship, or he is not good, and doesn't.
[/quote]

They all know they have the ability. Just ask them and I would bet you a dollar to a donut they would give the Sundevils credit for the opportunities they have been afforded.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder