best coaching?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The staff at Dayton took a program that was in much worse shape than Ozen (a string of seasons with very few wins and a culture that expected not to win) and has been in the playoffs for 13years in a row.  If you are looking for a staff to turn a program around, then Stewarts staff would be a good choice.

yeah im so customed to the broncos winning i forgot all about those years lol

[

Obviously Hooks and Barbay have had great sucess, but I always wonder "what if" Hooks had been at say, Bridge City and Barbay had been at say, Warren? Easy to win when you restock with NCAA-like talent each and every year, IMHO.   

Then I would say that BC and Warren would be winning just like WOS and Newton. Good coaching develops players skills. In the mid 70's Doug Ethridge had the supreme program in southeast Texas going to the semifinals or finals four years in a row. And won one state championship. The second team he fielded at PNG the Indians went to the semifinals and lost to Brasoswood by a score of 14 to 7. They did everything but win the game. There was no player on that team that weighed 200 pounds or more. They were more than well coached. Their talents had been developed by a superior coaching staff in my opinion. I put Hooks and Barbay in the same category as Doug Ethridge was. I only wish BC would hire a coach of Hooks quality. Not only is he good he is also very loyal to WOS. PNG has a new coaching staff and the whole school district fans are going crazy over him. He has all the makings of meeting the qualifications of Hooks, Barbay, or Ethridge. Only time will tell.

Seems like some people on this thread believe that all coaches do is run practices and rule the sidelines on Friday night, but it goes much deeper than that.  You cannot have the best athletes year in and year out.  The plants on chemical row do not produce and ship athletes to West Orange every year.  There is something else going on there and it begins with coaching.  You cannot out-athlete people every year.  That starts with coaching and building a system that works which is why I have put the WO-S coaching staff at least in the top 2 or 3 in the area.  Raider88, good to hear from you too, and yes I'm back and will stay until these folks tell me to rattle my hocks.  And you know what that means, there will be some hair put on the wall.

I find it interesting that two of the more successful coaches mentioned in this thread (Hooks and Credeur) were hired from within their current staffs at that time.  Neither the Mustangs or the Raiders were enjoying particular success prior to their hiring yet somebody in charge valued a little loyalty and a lot of some other intangible qualities to give these guys a chance.  The conventional thinking leads school boards to look for a "magic bullet/Coach" from out of town.  No doubt there are times that there are no viable coaching candidates on the current staff when a HC/AD vacates a position, but most times they are never considered if they are there.  Other local candidates are often overlooked as well.  Ask LC-M if they wished they had nabbed Coach Crouch during the previous AD hiring. Heck, even the WOS faithful griped about the offense when Coach Crouch was in charge.  Now he is gone, newly appreciated and still there is griping about the "new" offensive coordinator that many of them lobbied for.  All of these guys earn their money because their products are on display every Friday night regardless of the talent level they have to work with.  No doubt that some are better than others but we should try to appreciate what these men are trying to accomplish.  If you have an issue that you feel strongly enough to "rip" any coach anonymously, please sit down with them and discuss your issue.  I'll shut up now......

Hands down...the Barbays.  Nothing needs to be said about Newton, period.  Anahuac and Coldspring have seen vast improvements in the last two seasons.  As long as they stay at the same schools that they're at, they will be contending.  All of the periphery (facilities, success rate after high school, etc.) depends on the culture of the respective towns.  Longstanding programs usually gain these items.  We are talking about football and character-building.  These guys are the best in the business.

Didn't Barbay coach in Hamshire Fannet in their glory years also or was it another long time winning coach? I don't know who all his staff are but Barbay along with Hooks could easily be considered the best long time coaches (I just had a baby throw up in my mouth when I said that about Dan Ray) in the area, with Nueman also being in consideration. As far as short time coaches, thsoe with under say 5 years running their local programs, hands down to mee it is Coach Creduer and his staff.

You say "we all" like you're including me, don't.  I know how good Thompson is, but don't diminish what Dan Ray has done.  Nobody has done it for 25 years, year in and year out, nobody.

Oh but I beg to differ...go north about 45 miles of Orange and you will see someone who has!!! CURTIS BARBAY...hes been doing it for just as long if not longer!!!!!

Hands down...the Barbays.  Nothing needs to be said about Newton, period.  Anahuac and Coldspring have seen vast improvements in the last two seasons.  As long as they stay at the same schools that they're at, they will be contending.  All of the periphery (facilities, success rate after high school, etc.) depends on the culture of the respective towns.  Longstanding programs usually gain these items.  We are talking about football and character-building.  These guys are the best in the business.

Didn't Barbay coach in Hamshire Fannet in their glory years also or was it another long time winning coach? I don't know who all his staff are but Barbay along with Hooks could easily be considered the best long time coaches (I just had a baby throw up in my mouth when I said that about Dan Ray) in the area, with Nueman also being in consideration. As far as short time coaches, thsoe with under say 5 years running their local programs, hands down to mee it is Coach Creduer and his staff.

I'm not sure Barbay has ever coached anywhere else. I believe he has been at Newton his whole entire career..but I could be wrong!

Coach Barbay coached two years at Bishop Byrne(I believe) then came to Newton as backfield coach under Lidney Thompson in 1968. He was hired as head coach in 1975. The offseason program is one of the true strengths of Newton's football success. It takes athletes and makes better athletes out of them. Of course how you use those athletes during the season is the true genius of Barbay and Hooks.

Kinda hard to leave the Nederland staff out of this one huh?

They may not be the best, but they certainly deserve the same consideration as some of the others mentioned in this thread.

Other than WO-S and Newton, who else in the area has been to the playoffs as many times as Ned has under Coach Nuemann?

If png loses to barbers hill and Texas city yall would be dogging the new coaching staff.

Not hardly. If they don't win another game this year, I'm still behind this group of coaches.  You obviously haven't seen PNG play this year. If you had, you wouldn't be making ignorant comments like that.

As much as I like these coaches, they have a long way to go before they will reach the status of Dan Hooks, Cornell Thompson and Curtis Barbay. I believe eventually they will but it will take many moons to reach that stature.

best coaching history  :  wos-dan hooks & staff    a +

newton-  curtis barbay    a +

dayton - stewart & staff  a +

nederland- neuman          a-

best coaching past 4 years  : lumberton -creduer & staff   a +

hottest coaches              ; kville    - alvarez & staff       a

& first 3 above- history is truth

honourable mention         stump probably shoul have been in  last 4 years group ,my bad

png coaching staff has good history but want go there

up & coming ,maybe sooner than we think   : new png staff

:lcm  new staff  ???? still out to lunch on this one.

after Friday night, i would take Kirbyville`s  coaching staff.

Speveto, it takes more than 1 game but I agree Alvarez is a good coach.

WO-S 89,  i`m  just kidding.  i started attending WOS games when you were playing.  i`ve seen almost all of the games since then.  when i go to a game, it`s  fun knowing  WOS will probably win  and they almost always do.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    TankParrish83
    Newest Member
    TankParrish83