WOS grade Vidor, LCM & Ned

Guest Brubaker

td, the question was about the prognosis for Nederland's season, not if they are better than WOS.  Baddog, gave reasons, you can't call them excuses if they are based on how Nederland will do the rest of the season.  You need to go back and rethink the point you were just trying to make.  Gas gave his opinion, then others gave their opinions... it's been an opinion fest... but I've missed the part where Nederland made any claim to being better than WOS or making excuses about the loss... all a matter of how you want to read it in my opinion.  I read Gas' post and didn't get excited, it was his opinion, and he doesn't have a lot to go off.  He could've given that same line of thinking for every Nederland team over the past two decades... and there has been some success sprinkled in there.

I think this is a reasonable response, and you are correct. I don't have a lot to go off of at this point other than the only real game Nederland has played so far in 2009. I could be completely wrong on my assessment, but I don't think I will be. I disagree about I could give the same line of thinking for other Nederland teams. I have seen a bunch of pretty good Ned teams. To me, they do not have quite the speed they usually do. I'm not saying that Ned usually has burners all over the field because they never do, but they usually have more than what I saw. They are also usually bigger up front and have better line play than what I saw. They used to be pretty good against the run, but the last couple of years they have been a little soft. It appears this years team will be a little better.

Now, when Ned fans come on here and say things like, "You people just keep overlooking us... blah, blah, blah". That is not someone giving an opinion, that is someone whinning because they didn't like what they read.

We will be good when it's all said and done, this picture is just starting to get painted.  We may not look good right now, that's a fair assessment.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Brubaker

2. WO-S TD on the deflected pass on 4th down and long right before halftime(I think it was a 5-point game at that point)....

This was a backbreaker, the rest was just good football and breaks and stuff... Nederland needed for a fluke play like that to happen in their favor to beat a team like WOS on a turnover filled night... not the other way around.

td, the question was about the prognosis for Nederland's season, not if they are better than WOS.  Baddog, gave reasons, you can't call them excuses if they are based on how Nederland will do the rest of the season.  You need to go back and rethink the point you were just trying to make.  Gas gave his opinion, then others gave their opinions... it's been an opinion fest... but I've missed the part where Nederland made any claim to being better than WOS or making excuses about the loss... all a matter of how you want to read it in my opinion.  I read Gas' post and didn't get excited, it was his opinion, and he doesn't have a lot to go off.  He could've given that same line of thinking for every Nederland team over the past two decades... and there has been some success sprinkled in there.

I thought the question was for some of the people that went to all three games that WOS played to grade their opponents. Gas was giving an honest opinion. If you will read his post, and or all of his post, he doesn't attack people he just talks football. He watches alot of games and has the ability to watch something other than just the guy carrying the ball. I for one wish I had that in me but I can't keep my eye off of the guy with the ball. If you asked him to grade WOS, you would have some WOS people that didn't like what he said but it would be an honest opinion and not condescending at all.

td, please read again, you are missing my point.  Baddog responded with his opinion on the future success of Nederland... can he do that?  He used mistakes and the play that led to Nederland's loss at WOS... my point was he can do that and it not be whining.  I'm not saying Nederland fans don't whine... we can whine with the best of 'em, I'm saying you missed the point that his post was an OPINION.  An OPINION for why Nederland's season is not going down the drain.

I agree with that. The part I thought was whining was when when he said "go ahead and clip Bellows in the process" and then when he was angry with Gas because he gave his opinion. Trust me we all have fans that can whine. I wish the bulldogs all the luck in the world. I hope Bellows gets back in time for baseball season. Maybe because I'm a baseball guy. I did win 12-12 oz. cans of beverage on the WOS-Nederland game. No hard feelings. I think sometimes our intentions get lost in print.

Guest Brubaker

td, the question was about the prognosis for Nederland's season, not if they are better than WOS.  Baddog, gave reasons, you can't call them excuses if they are based on how Nederland will do the rest of the season.  You need to go back and rethink the point you were just trying to make.  Gas gave his opinion, then others gave their opinions... it's been an opinion fest... but I've missed the part where Nederland made any claim to being better than WOS or making excuses about the loss... all a matter of how you want to read it in my opinion.  I read Gas' post and didn't get excited, it was his opinion, and he doesn't have a lot to go off.  He could've given that same line of thinking for every Nederland team over the past two decades... and there has been some success sprinkled in there.

I thought the question was for some of the people that went to all three games that WOS played to grade their opponents. Gas was giving an honest opinion. If you will read his post, and or all of his post, he doesn't attack people he just talks football. He watches alot of games and has the ability to watch something other than just the guy carrying the ball. I for one wish I had that in me but I can't keep my eye off of the guy with the ball. If you asked him to grade WOS, you would have some WOS people that didn't like what he said but it would be an honest opinion and not condescending at all.

td, please read again, you are missing my point.  Baddog responded with his opinion on the future success of Nederland... can he do that?  He used mistakes and the play that led to Nederland's loss at WOS... my point was he can do that and it not be whining.  I'm not saying Nederland fans don't whine... we can whine with the best of 'em, I'm saying you missed the point that his post was an OPINION.  An OPINION for why Nederland's season is not going down the drain.

I agree with that. The part I thought was whining was when when he said "go ahead and clip Bellows in the process" and then when he was angry with Gas because he gave his opinion. Trust me we all have fans that can whine. I wish the bulldogs all the luck in the world. I hope Bellows gets back in time for baseball season. Maybe because I'm a baseball guy. I did win 12-12 oz. cans of beverage on the WOS-Nederland game. No hard feelings. I think sometimes our intentions get lost in print.

Cool, we're good.

As a Ned fan, I think it is pretty obvious that WO-S had a significant speed edge against us this season. They always do. I think the question mark for the Dogs this season is: "Who is going to step up and be the big play guy?" In the past we have had Cardenas, Grogan, Butler, Moseley, Askew, Yoder, Sumrall, etc, etc, etc. It remains to be seen whether we have a big play guy or not.

WO-S was clearly the better team two weeks ago. I agree the 7 turnovers did not help, but you gotta hand it to the WO-S defense for being in the right places at the right times.

In my opinion, there were 3 plays that really turned the game from being a close one to a losided Stangs win. They were:

1. The muffed punt at the WO-S 35 when Ned was down 12-7(or maybe 13-7?)

2. WO-S TD on the deflected pass on 4th down and long right before halftime(I think it was a 5-point game at that point)

3. The injury to Bellow at the start of the 4th with Ned driving down by 12.

These are not excuses. WO-S was the better team and much faster team. They were in the right places at the right times and turnovers are part of the game. Every game has game-changing plays and these were them in my opinion from a Ned standpoint.

Ned will be okay once the QB settles in. He will be fine. He has a host of good WR's. Just not sure we ahve the home run hitter we are accustomed to. I hope I am wrong. The defense looks like it hits harder, but we still aren't wrapping up. Big improvement over last year though. I think we will battle for the 3rd or 4th spot. It's gonna be a tough district.

This is a good post and I agree, especially on the part about the big play guy. That's what I mean by speed. Ned usually has a guy that we just can't seem to cover. Even when we played them in 2000 with, probably, our best (or one of our best) defenses ever, Yoder still got his. That guy is not there this year. None of the Ned recievers could get open consistently.

Brubaker- again, not trying to pour salt into a wound, but some problems can be fixed and some can't. You can't make a kid run faster over the course of a season and you can't pour 2 years of varsity experience into a kids head over the course of 2 games. If anyone can "coach around" a deficit it is Neuman, but sometimes you are just a little down. This maybe the year, in my opinion. On the other hand, maybe the defense will be the saving grace, but they will be in trouble with a fast, passing team.

We have quality receivers, no Yoder or Cardenas or Askew or Butler... man I'm getting sick missing those guys.  But, I think we were just getting in the flow when Kirby went down.  We were throwing VERY effectively in the 2nd and third quarter until the injury... obviously the first quarter was a blur and a rough start.  It's impossible to imitate that speed in practice, and I think it took a little time (1st qtr) to settle down and adapt to WOS superior speed.... but it did happen.  Had Kirby stayed in, I think Salenga would've ended up with 100+yards, just my opinion.  What we don't have in that WR stud, I think we'll make up for in WR depth.  The beauty is, time will tell all, then we can look back and call it what it was.  If I don't post this now, I can't come back and say I told you so... so now somebody will get their chance Gas, either me or you.  Enjoy the rest of the season, hope the WOS/Ned series continues.

Going after the ball instead of making the tackle? Watch closely Nederland had Wos multiple time behind the line of scrim. and instead of wrappping up, the dogs were going after the ball. I agree WOS was the better team but finish the tackle instead of blantly going after the ball time after time. Watch the film its obvious.

We have quality receivers, no Yoder or Cardenas or Askew or Butler... man I'm getting sick missing those guys.  But, I think we were just getting in the flow when Kirby went down.  We were throwing VERY effectively in the 2nd and third quarter until the injury... obviously the first quarter was a blur and a rough start.  It's impossible to imitate that speed in practice, and I think it took a little time (1st qtr) to settle down and adapt to WOS superior speed.... but it did happen.  Had Kirby stayed in, I think Salenga would've ended up with 100+yards, just my opinion.  What we don't have in that WR stud, I think we'll make up for in WR depth.  The beauty is, time will tell all, then we can look back and call it what it was.  If I don't post this now, I can't come back and say I told you so... so now somebody will get their chance Gas, either me or you.  Enjoy the rest of the season, hope the WOS/Ned series continues.

If nederland does have a down year, I will definitely NOT be on here telling anyone "I told you so". I do not wish Nederland a bad or mediocre season at all. Again, I just gave my opinion... This isn't some sort of challenge. If Nederland does end up winning the district title instead of taking 2nd or 3rd (which I said could happen  ;)) then feel free to smack it up all you want. I just don't think it's going to happen because we both agree Ned is missing the big play guy, experience at QB and something you didn't mention, but the line is smallish and didn't block very well. You can't fix the size, but the blocking is something that can improve, hopefully it will from this point. Good luck to you guys.

Let's put this whole thing into a little perspective...Nederland has played one game.

I think a fair assesment of their potential/season would be better suited for post-Waller conversations when we get an idea of how the offense responds to Tyler Smith.

A prediction at the outcome of their season at this point would be insufficient and unfair.

Let's put this whole thing into a little perspective...Nederland has played one game.

I think a fair assesment of their potential/season would be better suited for post-Waller conversations when we get an idea of how the offense responds to Tyler Smith.

A prediction at the outcome of their season at this point would be insufficient and unfair.

Topic: WOS grade Vidor, LCM & Ned... LOL You guys kill me. No one is trying to be fair or unfair, sufficient or insufficient. And I think the whole reason for the topic is for what we think "at this point". The fact that is it early in the season kind of goes with out saying.

If nederland does have a down year, I will definitely NOT be on here telling anyone "I told you so". I do not wish Nederland a bad or mediocre season at all. Again, I just gave my opinion... This isn't some sort of challenge. If Nederland does end up winning the district title instead of taking 2nd or 3rd (which I said could happen  ;)) then feel free to smack it up all you want. I just don't think it's going to happen because we both agree Ned is missing the big play guy, experience at QB and something you didn't mention, but the line is smallish and didn't block very well. You can't fix the size, but the blocking is something that can improve, hopefully it will from this point. Good luck to you guys.

Come on, if Nederland lays an egg, you gotta at least say "Hey, I stepped out and told you so after week zero.  That would be some kind of special analysis, I would expect a little smack.. you can smack with class Gas, you do it pretty well."  I just hope we stay healthy from here on out.  As for the line, I think we'll be good on o-line, we are pretty lightish on the d-line from what I saw, but we played pretty good defense.  Season is young. 

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SVD Beaumont
    Newest Member
    SVD Beaumont

• I agree with both of you. However I think they are focusing on the gun trial to keep our focus off the laptop and international dealings.
    • You've made sense at least twice in one day. Perhaps you should lie down... 😇
    • While we don't always agree on political issues, I couldn't agree more. Both trials were just a circus to keep the division alive and the circus in business. Nothing of any substance got resolved today. Media & Politics. The longer they divide us, the more they benefit.
    • Meh..... this is a mess.  As I've often pointed out, I felt that the prosecutions of Trump in NYC (hush money and business valuation fraud) were a big stretch, unwarranted, and likely an abuse of power.   And I kinda feel like Hunter Biden got screwed here, too.   He's basically in trouble for lying on an application to buy a firearm... he denied that he was actively using drugs when he made the purchase.  He owned the firearm for 11 days, committed no crimes with it, then it was disposed of by a third party.  The only reason he was investigated and prosecuted is because he's Biden's son.    Anybody gloating today is no different than the people who were gloating over Trump's 34 convictions a couple of weeks ago.  We ARE a banana republic at this point.  This division won't stand for long.  We can't keep going down this road of "well, they did that to my guy, so we're going to do this to their guy" way of thinking.  God bless the America... she needs it.  
    • They are getting this trial over with and any other trials that face him in the future so Joe can pardon him before he leaves.
  • Topics