* POST AUG. 13-15 SCORES HERE*

Vidor tourney

The Orangefield Lady Bobcats won a match and tied in two others at the Vidor Tournament Thursday.

Orangefield defeated Lumberton 2-0 and tied both Vidor and West Brook 1-1.

The Lady Bobcats will host Buna tonight before returning to the Vidor Tournament to play host Vidor at 9:45 a.m.

D’ville def. Burkeville

DEWEYVILLE — The Deweyville Lady Pirates started their 2009 volleyball season with flair, downing the Burkeville Lady Mustangs 25-17, 25-15, 25-22 in the season opener for both teams Tuesday.

Skylar Webster had her service game working well for the Lady Pirates as she collected 10 aces. Marissa Powell led a balanced Deweyville hitting attack with four kills.

The Lady Pirates return to action Friday when they visit Kirbyville at 4:30 p.m.

'Road Warrior' Lady Bears sink WO-S

Van Wade

The Orange Leader

WEST ORANGE — It was quite a Friday for the Lady Bear “Road Warriorsâ€.

After sweeping two matches at the Barbers Hill Tournament earlier in the day, the Little Cypress-Mauriceville Lady Bears took down a much-improved West Orange-Stark unit 25-10, 25-15, 25-23 at Mustang Gym Friday night.

The Lady Bears (6-0), defending District 20-4A champions, toppled Brazoswood 25-21, 25-22, 25-19 and Baytown Lee 25-16, 25-19, 25-16 earlier in the day.

They will take on both Barbers Hill and Baytown Sterling in the tourney today.

“It’s great to start 6-0,†said long-time Lady Bear coach Vicki Castino. “We’re getting in a lot of early matches. We’re getting in seven in three days. That’s what we love about the Barbers Hill Tournament.â€

Senior standout Christine Sicktich led the Lady Bears against WO-S (1-1), notching 14 kills, 14 points and five aces.

Ashton LaVergne posted eight kills with Megan Kemp and Shelby Apperson adding six apiece while both Elissa Tate and Amy Laughlin added four apiece.

Kellie Tilley set up the offense well and had 14 points and three aces. Allison Walker had seven points and three aces and Kalyn Harkness contributed six points and two aces.

“We’ve got the making of a pretty good little team again this year,†said Castino. “There’s plenty to work on this time of year. We’re making a lot of unforced errors but that’s to be expected. They’re going to get some good experience at the Northwest Tournament next week.â€

WO-S coach Gwen Kelly-Hall, whose team whipped Port Arthur Memorial Tuesday to start the season, received nine kills, four points and an ace from Ishaneka Gant.

Ashleigh Kelly had six kills, five points and an ace while Johnesha Sims and Crystal Haynes had three kills apiece. Mishanequa Warnell added six points.

In their two wins at Barbers Hill, Sicktich had 20 kills, 20 assists and eight aces. Tilley notched 30 assists. Tate posted 12 kills, eight aces and two blocks. Apperson had 11 kills and two blocks and Amy Laughlin had six kills and three blocks.

Kemp had seven kills and two aces while Shelby Sanchez contributed 15 digs and an ace and Harkness had 10 digs.

After the Barbers Hill tourney, the Lady Bears will host Orangefield Tuesday while the Lady Mustangs will entertain Beaumont Ozen.

Here we go...someone else who "knows" volleyball. Tell me...do you play the sport, coach the sport, or have you just always watched? Yes...you can win games if you don't hit the ball hard. But if you are a good team you should not lose to teams that don't have power. I didn't see any hard driven balls last night from Buna...they just made less mistakes. And I'm not an Orangefield fan. That just happened to be the game I went to last night. It was not pretty volleyball. Definately beginning of the year. If you want to be a team that goes somewhere you have to play smart and yes...you have to be a team that hits hard driven balls.

First of all I wasnt trying to act like I know it all. Second of all im a volleyball official so yea I know a little bit about the game. Third my Aunts have coached it for years and I was raised around it, so I think im qualfied to act like I know volleyball thanks:)

utfan0 first of all, a vball official doesn't have any business commenting on teams/games because it just makes you sound biased & will make people wonder if you called the game in question. While I somewhat agree with your statement that you don't have to hit hard to be good, to advance in the playoffs you have to have some hard hitters on the team. It raises the odds that the other team will make mistakes if a hard hit ball comes at them as opposed to a dink or soft hit. :)

Highsky im a good enough person to not call biased!! I call right down the middle every game, so ill comment as much as i want about any team, also You think im the only official that gets on the board and comments about the sport they call?? no!!!

chill, dude!  You need to reread what I posted.  I did not say you were biased, I said "it makes you SOUND biased."  You may not be the only official who posts on here, but I have only heard/read you say "I am a volleyball official" while the "others" have not said so.  I was ok with you posting comments until you said you were an official.  It is nothing personal against you (heck, I am a UT fan too), I am just of the opinion that officials should give the appearance of being unbiased and that includes commenting on teams on a public forum.  Just my two cents worth... :)

Highsky im a good enough person to not call biased!! I call right down the middle every game, so ill comment as much as i want about any team, also You think im the only official that gets on the board and comments about the sport they call?? no!!!

chill, dude!  You need to reread what I posted.  I did not say you were biased, I said "it makes you SOUND biased."  You may not be the only official who posts on here, but I have only heard/read you say "I am a volleyball official" while the "others" have not said so.  I was ok with you posting comments until you said you were an official.  It is nothing personal against you (heck, I am a UT fan too), I am just of the opinion that officials should give the appearance of being unbiased and that includes commenting on teams on a public forum.  Just my two cents worth... :)

ok I apologize

Evadale at East Chambers 8-14-09

East Chambers 3 Evadale 1

Game 1 Evadale 25-14

Game 2 East Chambers 25-12

Game 3 East Chambers 25-23

Game 4 East Chambers 25-15

Congrats Lady Bucs

The Lady Rebs looked pretty good against a very solid EC team.  I really didn't think the Rebs would even stay in the gym.  Looking good gals..keep working hard.  Looking better all the time.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder