Weapon: WR

Guest Big Balls

Guest Big Balls

I want to know what you think about the position and art of wide receiver.

1.)What makes a good receiver?

2.)Sharp routes or speed?

3.)Hands or leaping ability?

4.)Soft spoken or outgoing?

explain all of your answers.

I think great receivers should possess all of these ability's and more.

The most important thing to a receiver is being able to catch a ball. Who cares if you run a 4.3, if you can't catch the ball.. it doesn't matter. And the next important thing is running a great route. I've seen receivers at the varsity level that run a 4.9 40 burn fast corners by running crisp routes. Also, one thing at the high school level that a receiver has to be is soft spoken. They need to be a team player, and realize that well over 75% of the time they will not get  the ball, and that they need to make a good block. That is another thing that the fans don't catch from the stands. Receivers making their block is a vital part to every good run. If the fans were to watch videos of long TD runs, every time you will see a receiver making a great block taking their man out of the equation..

The most important thing to a receiver is being able to catch a ball. Who cares if you run a 4.3, if you can't catch the ball.. it doesn't matter. And the next important thing is running a great route. I've seen receivers at the varsity level that run a 4.9 40 burn fast corners by running crisp routes. Also, one thing at the high school level that a receiver has to be is soft spoken. They need to be a team player, and realize that well over 75% of the time they will not get  the ball, and that they need to make a good block. That is another thing that the fans don't catch from the stands. Receivers making their block is a vital part to every good run. If the fans were to watch videos of long TD runs, every time you will see a receiver making a great block taking their man out of the equation..

Good explaination!  Catch the ball is what's important!

Nederland has had some good WR in the past that didn't have blinding speed. What made them so good was that they ran good routes, got physical and caught the ball. Deron this year at PNG is not fast, but big (6'2"), very physical and has great hands.

So I say,

1.) Physical

2.) Routes

3.) Hands

4.) Speed

In that order.

The most important thing to a receiver is being able to catch a ball. Who cares if you run a 4.3, if you can't catch the ball.. it doesn't matter. And the next important thing is running a great route. I've seen receivers at the varsity level that run a 4.9 40 burn fast corners by running crisp routes. Also, one thing at the high school level that a receiver has to be is soft spoken. They need to be a team player, and realize that well over 75% of the time they will not get  the ball, and that they need to make a good block. That is another thing that the fans don't catch from the stands. Receivers making their block is a vital part to every good run. If the fans were to watch videos of long TD runs, every time you will see a receiver making a great block taking their man out of the equation..

Great explanation...Also, running the same EVERY TIME.  My meaning, some very good receivers will look only at the DBack for the block on run plays but will look into the backfield as they leave the line on pass plays.  A half-a scouting report will see that and the DBack will know when its a pass and be able the "jump" the route.

So, good hands, not afraid of the middle and being able to hide your intentions are my pick.

Hands

Route

Soft Spoken

Nederland has had some good WR in the past that didn't have blinding speed. What made them so good was that they ran good routes, got physical and caught the ball. Deron this year at PNG is not fast, but big (6'2"), very physical and has great hands.

So I say,

1.) Physical

2.) Routes

3.) Hands

4.) Speed

In that order.

In that order?  Wow!  Could be a recipe for disaster...

Here's my take:

Hands first...otherwise you won't get a shot @ receiver

Routes second...run crisp routes, then gradually up your speed while maintaining the desired route

Speed third...see hands / routes, then be able to break away

Physical last...if you can't catch the ball while running any route where speed is not a factor, who cares if you can't beat that db off the line, or block downfield!!

Having Great catching ability is definitly the number one factor for a receiver. However, the receiver needs to be soft spoken and needs to build a good relationship with the quarterback. Another key is laziness. If a receiver is coming off the line walking on plays that the team is running the ball, that doesn't help the receiver on the plays that he needs to explode off the line of scrimmage and run a route. every play needs to look as if the receiver is about to run a route so the cornerback cannot notice when the play will be a pass or run.

In highschool, I would say receivers are more for possession than big plays, so the two main factors are Hands and Blocking.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    TankParrish83
    Newest Member
    TankParrish83