Deweyville vs. High Island Article

KFDM COOP

Deweyville is a fine football team. Should do well in district, but hard to say where they will finish seeing that there first 3 games are against a Christian school and 2 smaller 1a's. On the other hand East Chambers has beaten 2 3A's and playing a third this week, Buna has been beaten by a 3A, but came back and beat Burkeville. Anahuac was beaten by HJ, not sure who they played last week. Warren beat 3A doormat Huntington and then lost to a very large 1A West Hardin.

Bickham in Deweyville must be kidding.

He's talking smack in The Enterprise about wins over Evadale and Cathedral Christian and how the Pirates are going to man-handle High Island.

Deweyville made the playoffs last year. Shoot, they should hold these little teams to no points.

I watched High Island play Kountze two weeks ago.

The Cardinals ran the game clock to 0 on every snap ... from the very first series of downs. In the second half, the HI coach requested that the clock simply continue to run.

Kountze didn't win a game last year and still beat these guys 42-0. What do you think a returning playoff team like Deweyville is gonna do?

If Bickham is true to form, he'll run them off the field. He's averaging 55 points a game on offense. Great job, coach! This will look great on your resume'!

It takes a bigger man to realize that sometimes a game is won by the time the third quarter rolls around rather than going full-bore for four full quarters before calling off the dogs.

Bickham needs to take a lesson from guys like Coach Curtis Barbay in Newton, Roy Harper in Burkeville or Dan Ray Hooks in West Orange-Stark. They know when enough is enough and they allow their opponents to leave with some level of dignity. There is no pride to be had in beating the little kid on the block.

It's only a matter of time before someone comes along and sends you running home with your tail - and ego - tucked firmly between your legs.

And forgive us all if we don't break out the crying towels on your behalf when it happens.

DP ... does that stand for Deweyville Pirates?

Even if you're a fan of the Pirates, or not, you have to admit that running up the score on hapless little teams like Cathedral and High Island doesn't teach the Pirates players anything beyond the idea that it's ok to humiliate your opponent.

As far as I understand the sport, that's against all the tenets of Texas high school football.

As far as Deweyville playing Kountze, the Lions will play with heart and do their best.

I expect that the Pirates will do the same. The players themselves are not to blame for their own exploitation.

I hold the coaches responsible.

Again ... Bickham won't make many friends among his peers with this "crush them" mindset ... eventually, someone will come along (East Chambers, perhaps?) and set the record straight on what it's like to play a real opponent.

Coach Bickham did not schedule this year or last years games, he inherited the schedule from the previous staff, next year the schedule will improve. As far as running the score up, Deweyville has 2 or 3 kids that play both ways, this is unique for a small 2a school. If you can't stop straight dive plays with freshman and sophmores running the ball, then how can you tell kids that don't play much to not give it their all when they do get playing time. Come to the games before you comment on a team, any team not just Deweyville. Theres alot of smack being talked by people who are not educated about teams that they have not even seen.

Guest GoStangs

Maybe I'm not clear on what you posted, but my understanding is that Coach Bickham was at Deweyville last year and, since the realignment occurred this past February while he was the head coach, he would have been the one to schedule teams for the 2006 and 2007 seasons.

Wrong again. Schedules are set up the spring of a realignment year. Last spring was a realignment year. If schedules were not made at this time, you might get put in a district with a team you have a pre-district game already scheduled with. Usually, you do not want to play a district opponent in pre-district. Bick had every opportunity to better his competition. I think he did the right thing by rescheduling with teams like Cathedral, High Island, and Evadale. When you're not very good, like Deweyville, you need a few pushovers in pre-district. So what I'm trying to say is, you don't know what you're talking about. :!:

Guest ECBucFan

I dunno....I just wish everyone would give DV the benefit of the doubt. As I said in an earlier post, DV has a good rep for sportsmanship. Also, did any of the other teams possibly request a game with DV???? Could have been...

i just wish that everybody would grow up and stop starting jr. high crap on the internet... perhaps you should let the kids handle this on the field on friday nights and then when your team either wins or looses then you can talk all tha smack you want to...but until then lets keep the b/s to ourselves and let friday night footbal be friday night football

Coach Bickham did make this year's schedule. Buna was on last year's pre-district schedule - now in the same district with Deweyville so that left an opening. Evadale has been on the schedule for the last 12 years. They have played Cathedreal once about 4 or 5 years ago. They played Tarkington (3A) last year in pre-district, lost a very close game. Can't remember if High Island was on the schedule or not with the Rita mess. And I personally believe in scheduling the toughest schedule you can possibly schedule to get ready for district. I am not a fan at all of Coach Bickham's nor of DP#1Fan but I love the kids there. And this mess is starting to get silly. No one held a gun to the heads of the coaches at Cathedral/Evadale/High Island / and even Burkeville (they are down this year) making them agree to play. Coach Bickham scheduled the games but so did the coaches from the other schools.

I'm replying on here because the kids of Deweyville don't deserve this mess and KIDS DO READ THIS SITE!!!!!!

I'm replying on here because the kids of Deweyville don't deserve this mess and KIDS DO READ THIS SITE!!!!!!

FirsthOops, thank you for speaking the truth. As always you are there for the kids. Our loss is definetly Chireno's gain.

Deweyville Team, keep your heads up and take care of your responsibilites on the field and the rest will take care of itself. Yes, you've won some games, and yes we will probabley lose some games, but no matter what, do your best, and play as a team and you will get the job done.

Wrong again THE TRUTH' date=' if the schedule already in place does not interfer with the district alignment it is kept. Gotta be smarter than the "Know it all's". Keep to the Minor Leagues THE TRUTH, cause you are way outta your league here.[/quote']

Wow, that has to be really embarassing to be so sure of yourself and be wrong again. What's bad is, I think you have convinced yourself that you know what you're talking about. A head coach has to make his schedule the spring of a realignment year. If he wants to reschedule, he uses what is called a telephone to contact another head coach and they communicate through this device.

I forgive you for the harsh words. I also forgive you for being ignorant about hs football. Just take a deep breath and regroup SteelerCzy.

Please stop the bickering back and forth he scheduled or he didn't schedule. You are looking to improve in every aspect of the game during pre-district. You are right in one aspect, some schools just shouldn't play others schools but you have to play sombody. Who knows you might even learn something aobut your team in every game. In 1A, teams change from year to year. You really don't know what a team will put on the field. In the past High Island has been beaten by Deweyville and we we have also beaten them. Deweyville has a very reputable team this year. Last Friday night the Cardinals knew what to expect from the pirates and prepared themselves for the outcome. I told the boys on Thursday evening, after they asked me if I had seen the News paper article; that they had nothing to lose but Deweyville did. They where going for another shutout, we just had to improve ourselves and the team in every aspect of the game and if we did that we would have success. A young High Island team, lead by a Sophomore QB where able to capitalize on the Pirate mistakes. The Cardinals only had 1 penalty for illegal procedure and the pirates made several. Coach Bickham will look at the film and see where his team made their mistakes and he will work to correct it. The Pirates will be in the playoff race in their district and by fixing the mistakes that High Island showed them they will be fine.

I say all of this, only to let you know that every game is a learning experience. There are teams all over Texas getting blown out by bigger schools and smaller schools. This is High School football, a game played by young men. Please lets get past it.

Deweville beat High Island last Fiday night, but the Pirates found out something about the fighting Spirit of the Cardinals & we played them tough for 4 Qrts.

I agree that teams find out something about themselves no matter who their opponent. Even if it is something as minor as getting offensive plays in fast enough and avoiding delay penalties. Sure you need a game that you are confident you will win, so you can iron out little problems without getting a loss.......but you also need some tougher pre-district opponents to prepare your kids for the strength, speed, etc.... they will face when it counts. I'm not necessarily talking about Deweyville anymore. This goes for anyone who thinks in the spring they have a good shot at the playoffs. I'm not trying to be smart, but 56-18 is not a tough game. They would benefit more from a 28-21 victory over a faster stronger team.

I don't think anyone here is going to diagree with you on that. That horse is dead. You still have to cut out the mental errors, penalties, breakdowns in assignments. Sometimes its hard to get the right schedule that you are looking for and you have to get what you can. I am sure that all coaches want to put their kids in the best spot posible to grow as a team, it just happened that d-villes opponents this year happen to be down. That is a learning experience that coaches have to go through.

The schedule or the score in no way should be a reflection on the kids.The kids prepare all week to play. If substitutions are made you can't tell your second teamers not to try and score.They have worked just as hard as the starters.While I don't know any of the Deweyville coaches I don't think they forcasted 60 point wins when they made their schedule.They are probably wishing they had a little stiffer competiton but you play whats on the board.Iknow from experience,several years ago our kids went in undefeated to play E/C and got thumped.But that is not a reflection on the kids just part of life in small classification football.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder