LU football poll

UNLV

Should LU play  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Should LU play

• I-A(Bowl level)
    • I-AA(Championship level)
    • LU should not add football.

I would be happy with the championship level, and all the nearby rivalries that would come with it. If, after some time, the program gets strong and attracts a good fan base, maybe they could test the waters against D-I teams, like Montana & NH have done this year. If the results are favorable then by all means, consider moving up to D-I.

I voted DI-AA. I agree we must start at this level with the goal of DI and possiblity of moving into a better conference which would help all sports to compete on the national level. Before you laugh at me, remember Lamar just finished 9th in the country in golf. Lamar has been to the sweet-sixteen in basketball, baseball has had near misses in Austin to make it to Omaha and at one time with Sonny Jolly as track coach Lamar sent several athletes to the NCAA championships.

I think the leadership is in place to make this happen. Just do it!

No' date=' I believe everyone understands. The teams you have listed in other post are perennial losers at the D1 level, and that's exactly what would happen to Lamar. There is nothing wrong with 1-AA, and I think most people agree.[/quote']

Then why did the community stop supporting LU football after the drop to I-A from I-AA?

I've tried to look them up on the net and found nothing, this story i've told before and I was there, back in 87 or 88 when the only 2 HS teams in Bmt were WB and Central and the Bmt Bowl was always the last game of the year in fact they used to televise the game live on KFDM. LU did a promotion for football anyone with a ticket stub from the Bmt Bowl Friday night got in free to the LU game on Sat afternoon well attendance for the Bmt Bowl was close to 20,000 and LU attendance the next afternoon not even 1000. If you leave the stadium where it is, it needs MAJOR renovations, honestly they just need a new one, why not play as a I-A independent, where they could play a schedule of 3 road games against big powerhouse schools to fund the program, still play against the teams like Ark St, La-Laf, La-Monroe, LaTech, Rice, maybe UH, and then throw in McNeese and 1 other I-AA team.

Give me the attendance numbers. Support dropped because they were losing.

I can only give you my experience of before and after I-A football.

BTW, LU has always been a losing football program. My guess they had winning seasons 3 out of 10 seasons from the 60's to the 80's. Even losing LU packed Cardinal stadium as I-A. BTW, the last time Cardinal stadium was packed for a LU game, I-A Baylor came to Beaumont.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CougarCrazy124
    Newest Member
    CougarCrazy124