High School Basketball Play-offs

Guest A-TOWN

Just because that is how they do it in Kentucky doesn't mean it would work here.  Come on Wildcatter.  On a serious note, I do think that it should go to top four teams in 3A and 2A.  It wouldn't change the bracket and give another team that chance.  Don't throw in the water down the playoff bit.  There were 7 different 4 seeds that beat 1 seeds in the 4A playoffs this past year.  That makes it worth it.  Even if all the others were blow outs. 

Guest nostradamus

I disagree with a district tournament......it completely ruins the point of the district season if the playoff teams are determined from the district tournament.  It is hard enough to play teams twice and beat them......a district tournament would throw in a third time you would have to beat teams to make the playoffs.......NO WAY!!!

As for 4 teams in the lower classifications.......I'd be okay with that....and if they do that I think the #1 seed should be rewarded with getting to host the #4 seed in a home playoff game since they are losing the reward of the bye.

That's the whole point of the tourney, it gives everyone a shot at the end when it really counts.  If you look at last season everyone was talking about Silsbee, not a lot of people thought HJ would get as far.  It is tough to beat a team 3 times but if they can't whoever is hot is going to do better.  The site for the tourney would rotate each year so it becomes neutral floor most years.  If a 1 or 2 seed can't win then why are they going to the playoffs anyway.  That is what makes NCAA tourney so much fun.  I guess it is the difference between a basketball state vs a football state.

I don't know if it is because it is a football state or coaching a team that is always a 1 or 2 seed.  Why would a 1 or 2 want to take a chance on losing and not making the playoffs.  It is obvious that you must be from one of the schools that is normally down at the bottom of the pack.  Always looking for a chance.

No, but when you say taking a chance that is what it is all about.  Look at the conference tourneys at the end of the season.  If you are truly that good then it should not be a problem but if you are not really that good then it is risky.  It's a chance for everyone to have something to play for at the end of the season.  If a one seed can't win the tourney then they should not represent the district as a one seed.  Cream should always rise to the top is the way that I look at it.

Guest nostradamus

So playing and beating a team twice isn't enough evidence to make a team worthy of going to the playoffs.  You can hardly compare it to the NCAA tourney since the NCAA tourney has "at large" bids.  You suggested that the teams that finish 1 and 2 in the district tourney make the playoffs.....which makes the district season irrelevant.  The Silsbee/HJ comparison is weak also.  The teams finished as co-champs and Silsbee beat HJ in the seeding playoff.  The teams went opposite directions in the playoffs so how they did in the playoffs has nothing to do with the topic of a district tournament.  Silsbee did not play poorly in their two playoff games leading up to their regional semi-final game.

The comparison to the NCAA tourney is a joke. Like Nos stated, they get at large bids based on the teams overall performance. You saying that a district tourney should decide who and only who goes to the playoffs is ridiculous. The only reason college conferences has conference tourneys is to generate more money, not try to give the "little man" another chance at getting to the NCAA. So comparing a district tourney to a college conference tourney is a laugh.

OK point totally missed.  What I am trying to say is an alternative to what we have now, not that it is wrong.  We just did things alot different and it works very well where I am from.  First, we don't play by the traditional 1a-5a system, it is designed much different.  We also played the district schedule to determine seeding for the tourney.  The top 2 teams still go to the regional tourney.  I did not say that beating a team twice is not enough.  All I said was that a good team should be able to win in this format but the other teams do get a chance. It is not likely going to get an 8 seed to the top but there can be upsets.  It just makes the games matter at the end.  If a team peaks at the end of the season it is interesting to see good games in a tourney.  I realize nos that it would probably not be popular in HJ and Silsbee because you feel that you shouild be guaranteed the slot but if you can back it up then you still go to the playoffs.  It has nothing to do with at large and all that bull.  The best teams should make the tourney and before you say they are it is just a hypothetical idea instead of best 2 out of 3.

A good team goes 9-1 or 8-2 or 10-0 in a district season....that is enough right there..........why play 6 weeks of district ball just for placement in a weekend tourney that determines everything.  It is more important that the teams who have been consistent throughout the season advance to the playoffs than a team that gets hot for two days make the playoffs.

Teams that have performed the best overall throughout the district season should be in the playoffs.  If districts want to generate a little more revenue or ensure they are represented by the hottest teams at the time, then make the 3rd spot in the playoffs a tournament with the top two teams getting byes or warmups within the tournament.

These are high school athletes adding a district tournament would give unneccesary chances for injuries before thev playoffs.  Yes they do it in college but college players are getting paid in the way of an education high school players should no have to risk their playoff chances or college chances by playing in an unneccesary district tournament.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    siiyyaa
    Newest Member
    siiyyaa