Griffith gets win No. 400 in Bears' 5-1 victory

Griffith gets win No. 400 in Bears' 5-1 victory

Gabriel Pruett

The Orange Leader

BEAUMONT — Shane Waddell never came off the mound and his gem of a ballgame gave Little Cypress-Mauriceville coach Steve Griffith his 400th career win.

Waddell gave up three hits and struck out eight batters as the Bears defeated the Crosby Cougars 5-1 in Game 1 of the Class 4A Region III bi-district round at Lamar University Beaumont.

Game 2 will be at 5 p.m. Friday at Crosby High School. Game 3, if necessary, will be at 2 p.m. Saturday at LC-M High School.

Griffith did not talk much about the 400 wins and was more worried about the game the Bears had just completed and the ones down the road.

“All I know is we won Game 1 of a playoff series and we need another game to move on,†Griffith said. “I am proud of our kids. It is a lot easier to talk about winning than to actually go out and do it.â€

Stefan Cloeren was 3-for-4 in the Bears’ victory and scored twice. Cloeren hit a triple in the top of the fifth and came in to score when Matt Johnson reached on an error to make it 4-1.

The Bears wasted no time giving Waddell run support by scoring a run in the top of the first.

Mason Dallas, who was in to run for Stefan Leger, came in to score when Taylor Thompson hit a RBI single to left field.

Crosby then put up a run in their half of the first as James Rachel scored on a RBI double by Caleb Mangum.

It would be the only run Waddell would allow.

“It feels good to get the first win and get rolling in the playoffs,†Waddell, who sat down nine in a row through the fourth and seventh innings, said. “We kept up going by playing the Swine Flu World Series and we were able to keep pitching and getting at-bats.â€

The Bears grabbed two runs in the top of the fourth as Waddell reached on an error with one out. Joey Tutt came in to run for Waddell.

Scott Vaughn then ripped a RBI triple into left field to score Tutt.

LC-M then went up 3-1 when Dallas Brown hit a sacrifice fly to center field.

LC-M’s last run crossed the plate when Cloeren scored in the top of the seventh off a RBI single from Thompson.

Guest zewkpr5

I want to Congratulate Coach Griff!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! He has always been a great coach. He coached me in a small town near Fort Worth.............. Joshua, Texas. Wow I am sure that will jog his memory. Anyway great job and hope you go farin the play-offs.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CougarCrazy124
    Newest Member
    CougarCrazy124