Cheapest course in the area?

Good job, I know that it gets depressing when I play golf because mentally I still feel like I am in my twenties and shot in the 80's because I played all the dang time, now in my near 40's and with more job responsibitlities it is a great day if I shoot in the 90's.

But I am vowing to play more and hit more balls this summer to see if I can get back some of my skills.

• 2 weeks later...

My group of guys I play with from my church has started recently playing in Crosby at Newport. The course is in better shape with a little exception on the bunkers being in repair but after 2:00 M-Th the green fees are 18.95 with a cart for 18 holes.

And this is the place that I shot under 90 for the first time in a while, shot an 88 about two weeks ago.

• 2 weeks later...

I am not ever going to play in Huffman again at the Sanctuary.

Could be a very nice little course but they are not taking care of the grass at all. The fairways are all like hitting off of concrete, very few places on any fairways with decent, healthy turf to hit off of. The greens are extremely soft but they are full of weeds that are growing every which way and then getting rolled down.

I was highly disappointed in it, because the last time I had played there (about two or three years ago) it was in good shape, but I know that they have changed owners a couple of times also.

I also want to warn anyone who goes to play at Eagle Point in Mont Belvieu. My buddy went there and played by himself a couple of weekends ago. He had a 4:00 tee time and they were so crowded that he sat there until nearly 4:35 waiting to hit on the first hole. They book tee times throughout the day about 15 minutes apart but did not have enough carts, and that is one course that would be hard to walk. He said that there was a backup on every single hole from about 7 on. It took him over three hours to just play the first 11 holes and he ended up just going home and not finishing.

I know that when you play public courses you run into stuff like this and I have seen it at more than just Eagle Pointe so it was not a bash session on them necessarily. But what would be so hard for these public courses, especially on the weekends, to spread the tee times 20 minutes apart and then actually have the guy working the pro shop to actually call out the times or have something in place where you can't tee off without checking in first. I know that the country clubs do this and I have been to other public courses other places that make it mandatory on weekends to tee off and even saw one course that would not allow you to tee off until the group in front of you was on the green putting. That made at least a more manageable day for the entire group. Plus, if you are in a group of 3 or more don't hit more than one ball of the tee. I was playing the other day and this threesome sees me come up on the box while they are hitting and both of the guys hit cruddy shots off the tee and then just stare at me while they tee up another ball. Then they both just drive around looking for their bad first shots, spending way over the 5 minute rule of searching for the ball.

I mean I am not a great golfer but can play decent when I can get a good pace going and stuff like this just throws you off.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder