High School tennis this year?

Is there anybody worth talking about this year? I have heard nothing from this area... Except Deaver.... I miss the old days when there used to be good tennis going on... Like most recently Kody Duplechan, Jordan Deaver, Devon Harley, Matt Minick, and many others that used to have to fight to get to the finals. Now, it is nothing.... What is happening to tennis in the area? Numbers are down across the board!!! Who remembers when tennis doubles used to be a tough draw... Now, one or two teams win it every week.... I hope we see a rebound from this depression.... BY THE WAY!!! This is no disrespect to the tennis players now, but the competition is not there anymore... I miss that...

I have seen most of them play... Shana is good, but she has noone to compete against her, and she isn't as good as Salina was. Then Buna and Kville teams are ok, but not as good as the teams were 4 or 5 years ago. Worthy and Luttrell are not near the level of Deavers... HF haha besides Nix, if hes still there... No idea who Emily is, but from the looks of it, not as good as Shana... I mean the competition is just dwindling... And come on? You have to see it...

You are definitely right, sportsfan. I play 4.5 and play with Matthew a couple times a week. He fits in 4.5, but I don't know any other high schoolers around here that could compete in 4.5. Most could not even hang in 4.0. The top of the 4.0 division locally has some good players and the league for 4.0's this year is bigger than ever(6 teams).

Top 4.0's in the area would include in no particular order: Vahid Morris, Kelly Shanks, Matt Minnick, Tim Brewer, Jon Price, Craig Fox, Jon Williams, Joel Barton, Ron Wesbrooks, Chad Guillory, Damon Jones etc.. There are way too many to list and I am sure I left a lot of good ones out. I would say out of that list that Morris and Shanks are the closest to making it to 4.5, but that is a big jump. In terms of talent, I think that Minnick and Price will someday be 4.5's if they keep playing and keep improving.

Agreed. The top HS singles players and doubles teams would not fare well in adult leagues at 4.0 or higher(other than Deaver). Lain Herr, Sagar Desai, and Grant Lopez(all are good HS players) would do okay in 4.0 sometimes I think, but would probably win less than 50% of the time(especially in doubles). Deaver would dominate in 4.0 and can definitely hold his own in 4.5.

Yes! Definitely in doubles... Singles... they may have a chance? I don't know of the singles players in 4.0, but they would get dominated in doubles... Since you play league... I was looking at the mens 4.0 teams tonight... Who do you think has the best chance? And is there a chance for an upset. All I know is that Ron Wesbrook's group won last year... Who will this year?

It's gonna be a very competitive league. The top 3 teams are Shanks, Wesbrooks, and Cobb. I think the winner will be either Shanks or Wesbrooks. Shanks team seems to have the edge in doubles, but Wesbrooks has some good singles players that do not appear on the roster yet(Guillory and Jones) and a solid doubles player(Joel Barton) who has not yet signed up. Shanks team has Vahid Morris(very good 4.0 doubles) who also does not appear on the roster yet and is in my opinion the best 4.0 in the area when he is on his game. Should be a great league. I give the edge overall to Shanks team if they can muster up a singles win here and there. They will have 3 very good 4.0 doubles lines.

Well I don't play league, but I try and keep up with things out there... I don't see how Jones or Guillory will lose in Singles... Which is why i give the edge to Wesbrooks. They have a solid doubles core that could pull off at least 1 victory a night. But Shanks could very well win, because i think hes doubles teams are stronger. And I think Cobb has a scary team as well... Should be interesting... Is there any other teams in the 4.5 league, or is it just one still.

There is just one team. I am captaining it. We are going to have a one day league(on a Saturday) where the 4.0's who want to play up for practice play us in some matches to get us qualified for sectionals. There will be three teams total, but just one true 4.5 team.

• 7 months later...
  • 2 months later...
[quote name="sportsfan07" post="548670" timestamp="1237175949"]
I have seen most of them play... Shana is good, but she has noone to compete against her, and she isn't as good as Salina was. Then Buna and Kville teams are ok, but not as good as the teams were 4 or 5 years ago. Worthy and Luttrell are not near the level of Deavers... HF haha besides Nix, if hes still there... No idea who Emily is, but from the looks of it, not as good as Shana... I mean the competition is just dwindling... And come on? You have to see it...
[/quote]

I've been in super 14s, 16s, and 18s. I took two sets off of deaver last year. I'd say that im near the level of deaver.

I agree.. I remember my freshman and sophomore year in high school.
It was hard to be high on the ladder in Kirbyville. And even girl's doubles were very competitive. My freshman year girl's doubles was extremely challenging, but my sophomore year, my partner and I dominated in doubles at every tourn. The only challenge we had was the team from orangefield but we beat them every time.
My jr and sr year in singles, there were a few people that were pretty ok for girls, like erin kelly, meredith miller, and jordan. But There's just not many people left now at all... Tourns are just not nearly as intense as they used to be. No one cares as much at my high school anymore.. Idk about other high schools, but that's how it is after the past few years at Kirbyville.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    jacobmartin
    Newest Member
    jacobmartin