New Caney-Kingwood Park score?

Guest rambleonus

New Caney has a good team with a 10-1 record.  I'm surprized they are picked to finish last in their district.  Of course they have The Woodlands, College Park and Lufkin in there.  Youth got the best of us last night.  I'm afraid thats what will happen in district.

New Caney is looking good. I say they will not finish last in the district and will get one of the 4 playoff spots

With two weeks gone in the regular season, New Caney’s baseball team has an offense better suited for a video game.

The Eagles have scored at least seven runs in nine of their first 10 games. They have six guys hitting over .400. Two Eagles, Jacob Caple and Shawn Wade, each have 12 runs batted in for the season, while another batter, Dwayne Snider, has nine. As a team, the Eagles are batting .465 with a .539 on-base percentage.

All of those numbers add up to a 9-1 start for New Caney and a future that is looking brighter by the minute.

“The emphasis all fall was to get off to a good start,†Eagles head coach Donnie Randell said. “We’ve had slow starts in the past. We finally had a little experience and maturity about us.â€

Last weekend, the Eagles went 4-1 in the Brenham/Montgomery Tournament to take third place. New Caney played its first four games of the tournament within a 24-hour span, beating Bryan, Montgomery and Huntsville but losing to Texas City. The Eagles defeated Kyle Lehman 8-6 in the third-place game last Saturday.

If there was anything to quibble about with New Caney, it would be the inconsistent pitching. The Eagles’ staff has allowed five runs or more in seven games already. Randell attributes most of that to fatigue, but he said it has been difficult keeping the earned runs down.

“We’ve gotten great contributions from three or four guys,†Randell said. “It’s a struggle because no one can throw as many pitches as we’d like them to throw. Early in the year, you’re giving up a few runs, but on the flip side you’re going to get better as the season rolls along.â€

Even though they have allowed a lot of runs, the Eagles still have a couple of solid pitchers at the top of their rotation. Jordan Harrison has 13 strikeouts to just four walks in nine innings pitched, while Wade has a 1.33 earned run average.

New Caney took on Kingwood Park last night. The Eagles have one more tournament left this weekend, their own New Caney Invitational, before they begin play in District 14-5A next week. Randell said the district season should be extremely tough.

“We knew coming in that we had one of the toughest districts in the state,†Randell said. “All those schools have exceptional players. We started planning for this two years ago; we made a commitment for our younger players that we would develop them in the varsity.â€

New Caney has a good team with a 10-1 record.  I'm surprized they are picked to finish last in their district.  Of course they have The Woodlands, College Park and Lufkin in there.  Youth got the best of us last night.  I'm afraid thats what will happen in district.

Rambleonus...

I gotta call you out....I can't hold off any longer.  ;D

KP is very young and has no 80+ pitchers...so you say/said.. KP is good...very good. If ya'll were going to "sand bag " early.....should've lost more ball games.  ;)

In no particular order...Crosby, KP, BH, and Goose Creek are going to make this district very interesting.

Guest rambleonus

I still think we are too young.  We may have some pitchers over 80, I haven't seen a gun on them.  I would rather guess lower than higher.  Yes we did win district 22-3A (sorry to say but one of the weakest) with a 12-1 record with Fresh and Sophs last year and took Giddings who basically has the same team and who is ranked 3rd in the state to 3 games in the playoffs.  If we keep the errors down and hit, which is sporadic, we should compete for one of the 4 spots.  I agree, this district will be fun this year.  I'm not sure what will happen this year but keep in mind we have the same team coming back next year.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder