NMFS threatens closier

At the Gulf Council meeting yesterday, nmfs (Crabtree) stated (for the record) that if the state "partners" don't get in line and match their waters and seasons with the feds, that there is a "very good" chance that there will be no federal red snapper season because the 2009 quota will be reached in state waters before the June 1 federal opening. I am not posting this to get into one of the usual _issing contests on here about how they can't do this or that. I just want Texans to know that our state commision is going to find itself under tremendous pressure to rethink TPand W's position on our state's red snapper fishery. However you feel about this issue , you need to be letting folks in Austin hear from you. The Commercial guys can fish yr round and NEVER reach their quota...Hmmm imagine that, once again its us recreactional fishermen that takes it up th yawah. We are looking at a 2 week season as it is and with the weather we have had in the past summers you MITE be able to get out a cpl of times. This would most probabally wipe out whats left of the 'headboats' that the ave Joe get to take his kids on. In the Lampson meeting last year NMFS reported Texas had less than 200,000 lbs of snapper harvest, now Tex & fla state seasons account in excess of 2,000,000 lbs or whatever the current tak is. Actually, Crabtree's real colors are starting to show. My opinion is he is absolutly seething that Tex & Fla are not bending over for him so now the vindictiveness is coming out and he is manipulating numbers any way he can to tell his story. Now he looks just plain rediculous. Problem is he is trouble until we can get the ear of the media to get the word out or organize a defense fund to go after injuctive relief.  I hope that everyone will take a minute and send an email to :

[email protected] [email protected] at the end of your email please ask them to forward your comments to the commisioners...WW

Good post.  Although I am mainly a freshwater fisherman (who uses a 22.5ft CC boat), I do like to get out in salt water during the summers when not at the lake. I think(wish) more people would post information like this on the forum so we can stay proactive on these issues. So many things gets passed and we the public find out after the fact.

And I will send that email!

I have been trying to keep up on it, I sold a offshore boat becuz of all this crappolla, I downsized to a 23'er and can still make short runs inside 20 as I'm thinking you can also. IF the feds take over Texas waters it could also lead to other things besides snapper, as as it is now you can't keep a redfish outside 9 miles. The NMFS is watching out for the E Gulf as now we have Florida Comm boats unloading their catch in S Texas ports, do you think they catch their fish over in the E gulf and bring m here to sell?? There is also a project you need to support of placing arti reefs inside of Texas waters to support snapper along with other fish a good example of this in in place in Ala as 40% of the total snapper caught come from inside there 3 mile state waters. heres the link 

This is the hidden content, please
or you can join 2cool fishing and stay up to date on huntn and fish issues among other things
This is the hidden content, please

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    cfbswami
    Newest Member
    cfbswami