PN-G gridder turned Marine isn’t pleased with what he reads

Bob West column for Wednesday, jan 28

The Port Arthur News

Everybody in Port Neches and Groves, it seems, has an opinion on whether Matt Burnett should or should not have been moved out of his position as head football coach at Port Neches-Groves. Readers of the Port Arthur News, of course, know that if the decision had been made by Tom Halliburton or myself Burnett would still be the head coach.

What’s done is done, however, and it’s time to move on. For the sake of future football players at PN-G, and other schools in the area making coaching hires, I hope the people on the school board get it right. Not for themselves and the fans, but for the kids who make the sacrifices, develop bonds with their coaches and will someday reflect back upon adults whose decisions impacted upon their lives.

Bob West column for Wednesday, jan 28

The Port Arthur News

Everybody in Port Neches and Groves, it seems, has an opinion on whether Matt Burnett should or should not have been moved out of his position as head football coach at Port Neches-Groves. Readers of the Port Arthur News, of course, know that if the decision had been made by Tom Halliburton or myself Burnett would still be the head coach.

This is from another message board.  this persons makes a good point.

Although I respect his decision to defend our Country in the armed forces, I don't agree with his assessment. Life is about striving for success...and everyone wants to be the BEST that they can be in order to be successful. I agree that sometimes focus is lost in the lessons of life when it has to be either win...or lose, but there is just something about an individual that exceeds light years beyond his peers. We want our coach to motivate our kids to be competitors, to teach our boys how to be successful and to accept nothing less. Success at one stage in life typically translates into success at another stage in life. Regardless of your career, you are going to be judged by your performance.  Students are evaluated and ranked (and accepted into colleges) based on grades,  doctors on successful treatments and/or procedures, teachers and schools on TAKS scores and attendance, lawyers on how many cases they have won or lost and coaches, like ALL other professions, are evaluated on how many games are won or lost.  I certainly want a surgeon with a high success rate in his line of work performing surgery on my child...or an attorney that has a proving track record of winning in the courtroom defending me...and, in this case, a coach that is known for winning (not losing) and turning athletic programs around. In other words, we are all judged based on certain criteria that pertain to our profession.  We choose our paths in life based on what we are good at and find pleasure in at the same time and consequently judged based on how well we do!  Life is all about competition...it's what makes us strive to be better than the next person...and it's human nature. Why strive to be the best if it means nothing?

I am a coach, but not at PNG.  Reading the article by Sgt. Evans made me even more proud to be in the profession in which we are in.

The previous reply about being successful is related to total number of wins.

Let me bring up 3 people in our history that was successful with only win after the hundreds and thousands of failures.  These men are President Abraham Lincoln, Albert Einstein, and Louis Pasteur.

Each of have heard of their history and the failures they had in their lives.  But 1 successful event made them some of the most important people in history.  Imagine what it would be like today if they were to "give-up" after some failures.  These are the men coaches relate life changing stories to young men and women on how to overcome failures. 

When you talk about winning to an extent of all costs, little things get overlooked and leave holes in the process. 

I will leave it to the rest of you to continue this discussion.

Coach, you should be pround. Next to our parents, there are few other individuals that had the fortitude to slap us on the side of the head when we didn't answer "yes sir", pull our hair to tell us "get a hair cut", yell at us if we didn't have our "shirt tail tucked in" and... pat us on the back for a job well done.  Your players will thank you one day for helping mold them into the men they have become...even if it took a lot of sweat, a few tears, and couple of a gallons of puke to get it done. It was all worth it.

Einstein's definition of insanity:    "Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting change."   With this argument in place, sometimes 'change' is needed in order to have success. ;D

A lot of outsiders don't want to see change at PNG........ But guess whats thats just a little bit to darn bad isn't it. Change is coming.

Einstein's definition of insanity:    "Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting change."   With this argument in place, sometimes 'change' is needed in order to have success. ;D

A lot of outsiders don't want to see change at PNG........ But guess whats thats just a little bit to darn bad isn't it. Change is coming.

I sure hope so, pngfan1 !  And I'm "1" of the thousands of fans that want the change.  ;D

I sure hope so, pngfan1 !  And I'm "1" of the thousands of fans that want the change.  ;D

If they get the right man it is coming.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder