What is your biggest pet peeve...

bbwmf

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have 2 ways to even the media problem.

If the schools would tell the local media to cover both or not any they would do their jobs better or if the girls played on monday and thursday or vise-versa the media could cover who playing that night.

I have 2 ways to even the media problem.

If the schools would tell the local media to cover both or not any they would do their jobs better or if the girls played on monday and thursday or vise-versa the media could cover who playing that night.

UIL won't let us play 2 school night games a week.... It would have to be Wed. & Sat... 

I hae fought this battle for 9 years now and all I can say is that you have to pick your spots....  I know that if the cowboys, lamar, astros, etc. are playing that night it won't get covered.... there is only so much room or time.... (not that it is fair, but that is the way the media game is played.)  Our news guys in beaumont do try...they are just stretched thin... (most of the anchors do their own camera work!)  They cannot be everywhere at once.  Watch a Houston newscast once in a while.... A top 10 state ranked school may get a boxscore in the chronicle or a mention of a score on the newscast...

This website has done an amazing job of promoting all sports girls and boys...  This is a big change from 4 years ago where this wasn't even an option.  It is slowly changing, but traditional media has it's limits.  (alot of stories to squeeze into a 5 minute slot.)

Jdad and bleedorange - every school should be fortunate to have parents as passionate about their teams as you guys are!

Both good ideas JDad...I remember several years ago they even tried to play the girls and boys games right after each other. If I remember correctly, they would play a JV game first and then play the varsity girls followed by the boys game. I think they would alternate the JV games each game between the boys and girls and the remaining JV and freshmen games were played on like Monday's and Thursdays. Not sure if that's right but it was something like that. I believe they only did it for a year or two, but it was nice to see both varsity teams back to back. I'm sure the coaches weren't to thrilled with it though and it went away. Wish there was a way to make it work!!!

I am not sure that that would bring more fans early to watch the girls and, sometimes I can guess why. Not enough good games to keep the interest of those used to watching boys basketball. Unfortunately, not all girl's games have the intensity of ,say, HJ  and OF - if fans show up for this game, they see basketball. If they show for a game like HJ had with Silsbee, the stands empty quickly. After several times of Silsbee sitting back mid court just dribbling.......zzzzz....the whole section of boys disappeared. Most guys find girl's basketball boring and a lot of teams prove them right. Having back to back varsity games would certainly simplify life though.

1. Girls with bad attitudes

2. Girls who want to be begged to play

3. Silsbee fans  ;) just kidding Tigersvoice

3. Losing

4. Playing teams that are horrible

5. Teams who tackle instead of playing defense

6. Fans who don't know anything about basketball, but think they do

More to come when I think of them...

Guest bleed orange

3. Losing

My daughter was the one with the bad attitude. LOL!!!!! Maybe she was just mean. :o :o :o ;D

3. Losing

My daughter was the one with the bad attitude. LOL!!!!! Maybe she was just mean. :o :o :o ;D

I knew you were going to say something about that!  :D

Guest bleed orange

7. Ball hogs

8. Going to the corner

9. Picking your dribble up  >:(

10. Not using the backboard

11. TURNOVERS

12. Passing TO much

13. Forcing passes

Dam, my daughters on both list. :-[ :-[ :-[

Guest tigersvoice

7. Ball hogs

8. Going to the corner

9. Picking your dribble up  >:(

10. Not using the backboard

11. TURNOVERS

12. Passing TO much

13. Forcing passes

Dam, my daughters on both list. :-[ :-[ :-[

Except for # 12 and # 13, she described my WHOLE career!!! ::)

Guest bleed orange

They are just fine without her. I think we are more rounded this year.

Bleed... come on man....  I know you did not just type that with a straight face....haha

My face is straight see 8). On a serious side. I have enjoyed watching these girls play this year. They have several girls that can light it up. They don't have a lot of speed but they have size. So, yes they are more rounded.

The situation with the officials is just plain numbers.When the scheduler starts making the calls there just isn't enough bodies to give everyone 2 top notch officials.The only way to level the playing field for the girls and guys is to let both varsity teams play at the same location,limit your JV to guys OR girls,not both.You would have to start your games 4:30-6:00 and 7:30 and it would hurt your JV programs but it would solve a couple of issues.It would also make your officials call 3 games which is tough.As far as the quality of the officials go it has a lot to do with the quality of the teams.The good teams whether it be boys or girls are easy to call.The bad ones are tough to call.Anyone who has ever complained about officiating needs to call 2 bad teams.You will have a different perspective when you get back in the dressing room.

All that makes sense, BUT, I watch a lot of basketball - boys and girls, and there is a major difference in which officials call girl's games and which call boy's. Sorry if it sounds like I am dogging officials. I am grateful for the job they do. I am dogging the way the girl's program is treated - you can not tell me that you would not have to agree with that!?!

No, I don't disagree at all.Like I said it's numbers.If the guys and girls played back to back at the same location they would have the same officials thus solving that problem.The only down side to that is the underclass or JV programs would suffer.When the officials start their training they sign up according to whether they want to do boys,girls or both.Some just don't want to call girls games.I wish I knew the answer to the coverage issue but I'm not sure there is one.I watch a lot of boys and girls games and both can be exciting.

The list is good.  But two things really get to me. 1st a pressing team having fewer fouls than the team being pressed. 2nd, not getting credit for taking a charge.  I disagree with the offensive player having an advantage over the defence.  I know why it's that a way just don't like it.

The list is good.  But two things really get to me. 1st a pressing team having fewer fouls than the team being pressed. 2nd, not getting credit for taking a charge.  I disagree with the offensive player having an advantage over the defence.  I know why it's that a way just don't like it.

A pressing team that is taught how to play defense vs. a team that does not know how to play correct defense.... hmmmm.... the pressing team should have fewer fouls....  By rule, a charge is a very hard call to get .... most (and I say most) high school players jump in front of the offensive player at the last second and give the offensive player no chance to change their course... therefore the call is correctly called on the defense.

"a pressing team that is taught how to play defense vs. a team that does not know how to play correct defense.... hmmmm.... the pressing team should have fewer fouls...."  Reaching, slapping, hand checking is not good defense.  I see very very few players playing good defense. How many guard with palms up?  How many shuffle their feet?  That's my point.  It's not taught, the athletes are just too fast for the ref and are getting away with poor defense and tons of fouls.  Why would a pressing team ever have fewer fouls?  You can't hardly get called for a charge, so any contact should be a defense foul. 

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    TankParrish83
    Newest Member
    TankParrish83