Central/LC-M updates/Central Wins!!

Gulley, Jaguars slip past Bears, 51-45

Gabriel Pruett

The Orange Leader

LITTLE CYPRESS — Finding no answers against standout Central forward Jamar Gulley, the Little Cypress-Mauriceville Bears fell to the Beaumont Central Jaguars 51-45 in District 20-4A action at the Bear Cave Tuesday night.

Gulley torched the Bears (9-10, 1-1) for 28 points and yanked down 15 rebounds to spark the Jaguars (11-6, 2-0) to the victory.

Gulley shredded the Bear defense for 15 of his points in the last eight minutes.

Hunter Gonzales and Cameron Johnson poured in 13 points apiece to lead LC-M. Gonzales, who had a team-high nine rebounds, scored 11 of his points in the fourth period.

The Bears got as close as 31-30 to open the fourth period after guard Johnny Epps buried a three-pointer along the right baseline.

However, Gulley took over after that, scoring 15 of the next 17 Jaguar points. A power move inside by Gulley gave Central a 48-39 cushion with 1:37 left.

The Bears made it closer at the end when freshman Preston Armstrong, who had seven points and five rebounds, buried a three-pointer at the buzzer.

Central led 11-10 after the first period and thanks to Gulley and Christian Smith, who finished with eight points, the Jaguars built a 22-15 edge in the second. LC-M’s Johnson countered with a three-pointer, the first of three on the night for him, to trim the gap to 22-18 at intermission.

In a stout defensive third period, Central upped their small margin to 31-26 heading to the fourth. Johnson kept the Bears within striking distance by ripping two treys in the period.

Central dominated the glass, outrebounding the Bears 34-22. Both teams had 10 turnovers. Central finished 5-of-10 from the free-throw line while the Bears went 4-of-8.

Jake Tsuchiya added seven points and four boards for the Bears, who will host Nederland Friday night. Brennan Jackson added five points and six rebounds for the Jaguars.

Soulja I wish I had known you were gonna be there. I was the guy in the burnt orange long sleeved shirt taking pics.

I don't recall a picture guy with burnt orange on.  I was on the bleachers close to the exit.  Had a long sleeve button up shirt.  I'll see you when the Bears ar in our gym.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder