OYBS

td

Guest Jack Nasty

Just about every division will play on games on Saturdays, with the exception of Pony, depending on how many teams they have, some years they do and some they don't. Typically, schedules will not be out until after try-outs.

Guest whatdoIknow

If there are games on Saturday, how will that affect(or effect:)players who are on select teams?  I have heard over the grapevine that there maybe some difference of opinions in regard to how this issue will be address!

As far as I'm concerned it will greatly affect/effect if some of the kids that play select will play league or not. I think the league has to make a decision and then the parents of the players will make their decision. No hard feeling either way. My kids love to play league baseball but will not be able to if the league plays on Saturdays. It's a tough decision for everyone.

Guest whatdoIknow

Will kids be prohibited from playing if they play select?  If not will there be a penalty of some sort?  (Suspension, decrease playing time,etc.)

Last year FHWS agrred to not play league games on Saturday. They went from 4 teams to seven teams and the competition and All-Stars were raised to a higher level. They learned that kids will choose select over Little League if they are forced to make a choice.

I think we are in the middle of that transition right now. I think it will take a couple of years to see the difference but it's coming.

I know my kids would love to try to play select. However, being a single dad who works every weekend evening from October thru July and not having enough money for my kids to travel or a way to get them there, league play is all we have. It is  shame that we can't have the talent in league play also. Concessions need to be done by the leagues.

It's just a tough situation and everyone has to make a decision based on something, money, time, coaching, competition, having fun or talent. The league has a tough decision to make. I don't envy that position at all. Either way we will be at Memorial field watching games.

I know my kids would love to try to play select. However, being a single dad who works every weekend evening from October thru July and not having enough money for my kids to travel or a way to get them there, league play is all we have. It is  shame that we can't have the talent in league play also. Concessions need to be done by the leagues.

I dont think concessions have to be made.  Leagues just have to realize that Little League/Pony are the not only games in town anymore.  Even Little League International recognizes this.  With last years rule change, Little League now allows a All-Star to play in a competing league tournaments/games while the All-Star tournament is going on.

The league cannot give an ultimatum to play league ball or select ball.  If the league does that, they will lose.  We have seen that.

I'm wondering if someone can tell me the sign up days, times, and cost associated with playing at Memorial? Andrew (my oldest) has played for Bridge City for the past 2 years and wants to go there again this year but I'm wanting to explore the "local" field / organization this year.

Is it true that there are no rules as far as far as every player MUST play one at bat?  His coach last year was a real jerk and I had to get on him very often because he was playing favortisim toward his son and guys he had coached for years.  The "new" kids weren't given a chance and THAT makes me mad.

Anyway, let me know okay?  I'm in the decision phase right now so it would be appreciated for truthful answers to my questions.  Money is hard to come by right now being the only one working in my house and I want to make an intelligent decision that will benefit my kid.

cost at memorial(oybs) is $65. we do have a playing rule that each kid plays at least 2 innings and bat at least on time during a game. we are signing up this saturday from 9-12. if you have any more questions, personal message me and i will be glad to answer them. otherwise, we hope to see you saturday. :)

Queenie:

If you have any questions about OYBS feel free to call me. This is our third year out there and we have enjoyed the experience. I think it is kinda natural that a coach tends to lean towards kids that they are familar with, it happens every sport and every level. I know your kids are certainly capable to come in and play with anyone. In two years the only complaint I have had was how the all-star team was picked. Hope to see ya'll out there.

I'm wondering if someone can tell me the sign up days, times, and cost associated with playing at Memorial? Andrew (my oldest) has played for Bridge City for the past 2 years and wants to go there again this year but I'm wanting to explore the "local" field / organization this year.

Is it true that there are no rules as far as far as every player MUST play one at bat?  His coach last year was a real jerk and I had to get on him very often because he was playing favortisim toward his son and guys he had coached for years.  The "new" kids weren't given a chance and THAT makes me mad.

Anyway, let me know okay?  I'm in the decision phase right now so it would be appreciated for truthful answers to my questions.  Money is hard to come by right now being the only one working in my house and I want to make an intelligent decision that will benefit my kid.

Queenie:

If you have any questions about OYBS feel free to call me. This is our third year out there and we have enjoyed the experience. I think it is kinda natural that a coach tends to lean towards kids that they are familar with, it happens every sport and every level. I know your kids are certainly capable to come in and play with anyone. In two years the only complaint I have had was how the all-star team was picked. Hope to see ya'll out there.

There hasn't ever been an all-star team picked anywhere that someone didn't like it. I would say if that's your only complaint then the league is doing something right.

We are going to miss yall this year but at least we will give someone else a chance to win a championship.  ;D

Queenie:

There hasn't ever been an all-star team picked anywhere that someone didn't like it. I would say if that's your only complaint then the league is doing something right.

We are going to miss yall this year but at least we will give someone else a chance to win a championship.  ;D

So you are saying that as long as you are there you will win the championship???  I seem to recall you being/coaching in my league last year and we won the championship against you.....Mullet!!!

Last year FHWS agreed to not play league games on Saturday. They went from 4 teams to seven teams and the competition and All-Stars were raised to a higher level. They learned that kids will choose select over Little League if they are forced to make a choice.

It's tough to NOT play on Saturday's if you're trying to schedule 2 games a week for all teams and you have more than 8 teams in the league (division) and only one field for that league.  With eight teams, you can play 2 games each weekday (Mon, Tue, Thur and Fri afternoon/evenings) and all teams get two games in that week.

In the past, in OYBS, in Shetland (5&6 yo) and Pinto (7&8) we've had as many as 16 teams.  One year in  Mustang (9&10) we had 14 teams and in Bronco (11&12) we had 12 teams.  Again, tough to schedule games and avoid the weekend.

cost at memorial(oybs) is $65. we do have a playing rule that each kid plays at least 2 innings and bat at least on time during a game. we are signing up this saturday from 9-12. if you have any more questions, personal message me and i will be glad to answer them. otherwise, we hope to see you saturday. :)

Are they no longer roster batting?

Queenie:

So you are saying that as long as you are there you will win the championship???  I seem to recall you being/coaching in my league last year and we won the championship against you.....Mullet!!!

Hey everyone stumbles sometime. Don't act like it was a blowout. It came down to the last out and had it not been for you I would have won Pinto and Mustang but you can't win them all.

Last year FHWS agreed to not play league games on Saturday. They went from 4 teams to seven teams and the competition and All-Stars were raised to a higher level. They learned that kids will choose select over Little League if they are forced to make a choice.

It's tough to NOT play on Saturday's if you're trying to schedule 2 games a week for all teams and you have more than 8 teams in the league (division) and only one field for that league.  With eight teams, you can play 2 games each weekday (Mon, Tue, Thur and Fri afternoon/evenings) and all teams get two games in that week.

In the past, in OYBS, in Shetland (5&6 yo) and Pinto (7&8) we've had as many as 16 teams.  One year in  Mustang (9&10) we had 14 teams and in Bronco (11&12) we had 12 teams.  Again, tough to schedule games and avoid the weekend.

I know it's hard to do and I have no hard feelings for any decision that the board makes.

Are they no longer roster batting?

Yes OYBS bats the roster at least through Mustang unless they changed it this year. I can't speak about Bronco and Pony.

Queenie:

I just might take you up on that phone call; thanks.  The only one playing baseball would be Andrew.  This will be his last year playing Little League because next year, he will be playing High school (oh Lord, did I just say HIGH school?  :o)  He had such a miserable time last year in Bridge City because of his coach, he is really hesitate to go there again this year.  Want his last year of Little league to be a good one.  Can't believe he has been playing for 8 years now.  Gotta few more days to decide.

Just curious: Does anyone know the Twin Hendrix Brothers (Jimmy & Jared)? 

Td:

Sorry you and yours won't be there, you will be sorely missed. I love the way your teams played and were coached. No league is perfect, like I said my only complaint is the primary All-Star team should have had several deserving players form the second team instead of more than two players off of the same team (at least according to my info, I admit I don't know this for a fact). Minor complaint really, the league is the best and we have enjoyed our experience. However, it won't be the same without you.

Queenie:

Td:

Sorry you and yours won't be there, you will be sorely missed. I love the way your teams played and were coached. No league is perfect, like I said my only complaint is the primary All-Star team should have had several deserving players form the second team instead of more than two players off of the same team (at least according to my info, I admit I don't know this for a fact). Minor complaint really, the league is the best and we have enjoyed our experience. However, it won't be the same without you.

Queenie:

I'm not real sure what you are talking about but if you want to pm me about the all star thing I will be happy to talk about how it is done.

We will still be out there to watch and eat nachos. We will miss being out there playing but the schedules just didn't work out.

Hey TD.....PM me or call me on my cell about the select team vs league deal that affected my kid.  We ended up going to BC and had a great time.

It's about the same everywhere, though!

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    kinghoyn
    Newest Member
    kinghoyn