WO-S Grad Bevil The First To Sign With LU!!!

KFDM COOP

WO-S grad Bevil signs with Lamar Cardinals

Van Wade

The Orange Leader

WEST ORANGE — Making a short trek back home, former West Orange-Stark standout quarterback Andre Bevil hopes his next opponents will see “Red.â€

Make that Lamar University “Red.â€

Bevil, who played for Navarro Junior College the past two years, signed to play for Lamar University and for head coach Ray Woodard, who coached Bevil his first year at Navarro.

Coach Woodard was wrapping up several junior college signings on Wednesday. The first day a junior college transfer could sign was Wednesday. The first day a high school senior can sign is Feb. 4.

“Coach Woodard is a great coach and a intense coach,†said Bevil. “He has the will to win and he’s a coach that knows how to push all the right buttons.â€

Being right down the road from home was a tremendous recruiting tool for Lamar in their quest for Bevil.

“To have a chance to go back home and perform in front of so many people I know will be a blessing,†said Bevil. “The new program at Lamar is getting off the ground well and Coach Woodard is so enthusiastic about being there. The community seems to be in high spirits about the program returning. The more local players on the team, the more fans will be interested. I'm looking forward to it.â€

Long-time West Orange-Stark head coach Dan Hooks, who was an assistant at Lamar in the 1970s, is elated about Bevil’s shot at Lamar.

“Coach Woodard and Andre already have a relationship from the Navarro days and that’s a plus,†Hooks said. “Andre is a terriffic young man with a good head on his shoulders. His work ethic has always been an asset. He’ll be a good fit for Lamar. It’s great to see Coach Woodard hitting our area hard because there is a lot of talent in the Southeast Texas area, talent that seemed to escape Lamar in the past.â€

Lamar plans to run the spread offense under former Silsbee assistant coach Craig McGallion and that has Bevil licking his chops.

At Navarro, the Bulldogs made the postseason the last two years but ran a basic run-oriented scheme.

Last season at Navarro, Bevil completed 65-of-134 passes for 1,062 yards.

As a senior at WO-S, Bevil had a breakout campaign, completing 125-of-195 passes for 2,069 yards and 25 touchdowns, throwing to the likes of Earl Thomas, now with the University of Texas, and Jacoby Franks, now at Texas Tech.

“I was blessed to have receivers like Earl and Jacoby in high school and I know we’re going to get some great receivers here at Lamar,†Bevil said. “I’m thrilled to be going back to the spread full-time. Coach McGallion has me pumped up all ready. He said to not be surprised if we put the ball up close to 50 times in a game.â€

Bevil enjoyed his time at Navarro and learned a lot with that whole experience.

“I’ve been blessed to have been around great coaches all my life, both here (West Orange) and at Navarro,†Bevil said. “Coach Woodard showed a lot of confidence in me at Navarro and so did Coach (Nick) Bobeck. My first year, I was third on the chart and due to a couple injuries I was placed in the game and accounted for six touchdowns. I knew I could get it done then for sure.â€

Bevil’s experiences can only benefit what will be a very young Lamar squad when it hits the field for the first time in 2010.

“I hope my experience can pay off because I’ve been in some big games in both high school and college,†said Bevil. “There is some good football played at the junior college level and I learned a lot. When I got to college, I learned to be more vocal and show even more leadership. Those two years really helped me grow up, not just in football but with life in general too.â€

xl

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Ryzxed
    Newest Member
    Ryzxed