Dayton vs Rosenberg Terry at Woodforest Nat'l Bank Stadium

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bronco Stadium...but Stewart Field.  Say what you want but nobody cared about Bronco Stadium or Bronco football until Jerry Stewart came.

Sorry but for many of us there was great deal of love for the Broncos and the stadium, we were filling it up Friday nights with an 0-10 record at one time. I respect Stewart and I mean this without offense to him, but Dayton Bronco Football was here long before he was and the pride of that past still holds water for many residents, and those of us scattered around other places. Now any idea otherwise may come from all of the newcomers to our area, I do not know for sure, but the purple blood runs a lot deeper than some of you folks may recognize. Ask me sometime and I will tell you about every Friday night and how I spent way before I lived in Dayton. On topic I am planning on getting down there, got a basketball game to cover that afternoon but I am planning on being there. Should be a good game, this is not Terry from a year ago and I think that is a blessing, anyway Dayton should take it to the house.

Have no problem with Smitty being on the stadium.  I was lucky enough to have played back when Smitty was one of our trainer's.  He was a special human being and cared for every guy that came through that locker room. 

Come on now Dayton made the playoffs 11 times in the schools history with a record of 6-9-1 over a 63 year period.  That is 7 playoff years with a record of 2-7 Dayton was 9-41 the five years before Stewart got here.  We were a terrible football program going nowhere.   13 playoff seasons in a row with a record of  14-12.

Have no problem with Smitty being on the stadium.  I was lucky enough to have played back when Smitty was one of our trainer's.  He was a special human being and cared for every guy that came through that locker room. 

Come on now Dayton made the playoffs 11 times in the schools history with a record of 6-9-1 over a 63 year period.  That is 7 playoff years with a record of 2-7 Dayton was 9-41 the five years before Stewart got here.  We were a terrible football program going nowhere.   13 playoff seasons in a row with a record of  14-12.

Like any of these names would ever happen in Dayton.  All in fun.  Smitty needs a statue.  ;)

I suppose we should all drink some purple kool aid too, but you can not just dismiss the 1931 and 1941  Regional Titles(1951 also I believe not looking at my history book right now), which I might add was the pinnacle that one could reach in those days. All of the stories that folks have shared over the years and the personal heroes that are our friends, fathers, uncles and grandfathers don't matter. Remembering players over the years Glen Pruitt, Calvin Westcott, Ivory Durio or my all time favorite Quinn Wood just is worthless to waste our time with all because they were not in this era, shaking my head on that one! Again Dayton needs a Wall of Honor for these past greats. I will admit Will Moore and Larry Sherman made sure to honor the 1941 Broncos for the 50th Anniversary of the stadium and that remarkable team. To all of you young men wearing purple and white keep it up and never quit, be great and whether or not you are better than past teams every single one of you will always be a part of the story, always.

Russ, Russ.......you know I love you and I do not drink the Purple KoolAid, even though I have purple running through my veins.........BUT......I am OLDER THAN YOU........unfortunately.....haha.....I give you my respect and I appreciate older generation putting their marks in the Dayton Map.....HELLO:? Who DOESN'T love Smitty? I MISS HIM! He was SO CUTE and his job was SO IMPORTANT TO HIM! He was PRECIOUS! BUT talking a LONG TERM TURNAROUND.......again,,,,,,I have been here a LONG TIME ALSO.......man, Stewart is the REAL DEAL......he put DAYTON ON THE MAP.......He is NOT here for Kuddos etc.....he just likes the game of Football.......AND HE DOES SO VERY WELL AT IT! I just disagree with you on this one......even though your my buddy......I just really think the Art of the Dayton Football Team over the last 12-13 years falls on the shoulders of Coach Jerry Stewart. He earned it and deserves it.......DISD is very lucky to have him! But I will say that I appreciate and give KUDDOS to the older generation that brought titles to our town! Thank You So Much!

He was PRECIOUS! BUT talking a LONG TERM TURNAROUND.......again,,,,,,I have been here a LONG TIME ALSO.......man, Stewart is the REAL DEAL......he put DAYTON ON THE MAP.......He is NOT here for Kuddos etc.....he just likes the game of Football.......AND HE DOES SO VERY WELL AT IT! I just disagree with you on this one......even though your my buddy......I just really think the Art of the Dayton Football Team over the last 12-13 years falls on the shoulders of Coach Jerry Stewart. He earned it and deserves it.......DISD is very lucky to have him! But I will say that I appreciate and give KUDDOS to the older generation that brought titles to our town! Thank You So Much!

I am taking nothing away from Jerry Stewart and no one can either, it is what it is, no doubt. But Dayton has been here for a long time and it has gone through change after change, look at the old buildings and places from the past that were really just torn down and brushed aside. Then ask yourself what has always been the one constant that has always been there and every year we get to live another chapter, that is Dayton Bronco Football and I feel it all is part of great story. Call me a sentimental fool, dreamer, but I just love it all.

Nobody is taking anything away from the older generation.  But, name one coach in Dayton's history that has done what Jerry Stewart has for the program.  I'll say it again...It should be Bronco Stadium but Stewart Field.  You don't have to drink the purple koolaid (whatever that means) but it shouldn't be hard to realize what Coach has brought to the town...A winning tradition.

Tell you all what, if I give you Stewart and the field name, can we have a Wall of Honor for all of those that have made an impact over the history of the team, and a plaque over a bathroom stall for me, LOL! I really do hope that someone will try and do something to recognize the greatest Broncos over the course of time to name a few Smitty, Stewart, Durio, Pruitt, Allen Smith, Herman Rip, Pearson, Joe Carter, and yes my Grandfather Barney Clifton Payne. So many already have departed from us and there are so many that are to make their legends over time, but let us honor them all.

We do have a "Hall of Fame"! Check it out at the High School! I am bad because I only know of a few names but.....Ms. Katy Griffiths is one, Will O. Moore...Mr. Spraker........Mrs. Brahm.......etc........(my old time generation, haha) but I really agree with you on giving credit to the past is so due! I will be doing my research because the school district is always appealing to the public for submitting nominations to the "Wall of Fame" honorees! HELP ME ON THAT! MORE STATS! But I cannot go to a restroom with the name Russ on it.... ;D so no, you will NOT get a stall named after you unless the guys want it on their side..... ;) I also totally LOVE SMITTY but unfortunately, I don't think we should name anything after him......he was too cute though.......PRECIOUS!

That program as far as I can knew has never been for former athletes and their accomplishments. Tell me if I am wrong, but it is more teachers, board members, staff and all I thought. Did several stories on it when I was with the Vindicator. Anyway we need to do something. My stall comment might have been out of line, but it was a poke at myself.

Tell you all what, if I give you Stewart and the field name, can we have a Wall of Honor for all of those that have made an impact over the history of the team, and a plaque over a bathroom stall for me, LOL! I really do hope that someone will try and do something to recognize the greatest Broncos over the course of time to name a few Smitty, Stewart, Durio, Pruitt, Allen Smith, Herman Rip, Pearson, Joe Carter, and yes my Grandfather Barney Clifton Payne. So many already have departed from us and there are so many that are to make their legends over time, but let us honor them all.

there is or was basically a wall of fame at the field representing all the teams that had made it in to the playoffs but unfortunately the sign was removed by the hurricane

I tend to agree with you bandgeek. I think this Terry defense is pretty stout. If they're able to take away the run and force the Broncos into passing for first downs, it could spell trouble. Couple that with the possibility of rain or a wet field, and we could have a low scoring affair. I still think Dayton is the better team and should win this ball game. I just won't be surprised if we don't hit our scoring average of 40+.

One thing that puzzles me about Terry is that 21 - 7 loss to Bay City. ??? ???

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    cfbswami
    Newest Member
    cfbswami