Nederland's Suspensions

jake94

The suspension of Cardenas and Forney is a huge blow to Nederland this Friday. But, based on the info in the newspaper I commend Coach Neumann for taking this disciplinary stance. It shows his commitment to TEAM and not individuals. Missing a practice unexcused to go to Houston to watch an NBA game does not deserve to go unnoticed. I think Coach made the right choice. I just hope the players understand why they are being punished and choose to rejoin the team on Monday for their playoff journey.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Swain and Gilliespe will put it into high gear Friday night and fill those shoes admirably.  I'm sure the Raiders are smacking their lips at this unfortunate turn of events...but....don't take  these 2 kids for granted...it may come back to haunt you.  You will be quite surprised as to what they are capable of doing.

I too applaud Coach for taking the stance he did.  As important as this game is to the DOGS, he stands strong to the TEAM philosophy.

Good Luck DOGS!!!  De-rail the "L-Train".

Nederland still has Brady, Vidine and selenga so i think Nederland is still just ad dangerous through the air

Maybe so, but it definately doesn't help to lose a district leading receiver and the mental effect on the rest of the team can't be good.

That said, sometimes things like this get kids fired up and they step up to prove the doubters wrong. This could be the spark Nederland needed.

WTF Nederland???  Skipping practice to go watch an NBA game??  They're lucky something like that only netted them a one game suspension because I doubt their excuse for missing practice was "we're going to an NBA game."  Don't know the story but that sure sounds like a commitment problem...

Hopefully you still beat Lumberton and we're now bringing at least 13 Dayton fans to come see it.

PTA News

Starters Asa Cardenas and Dionte Forney will be suspended for the rest of the week after missing Tuesday’s practice with an unexcused absence. Jimmy Swain will fill Asa’s void and Tommy Gillespie will sub for Forney at defensive end. The duo will miss at least the Lumberton game and their status will be re-evaluated on Monday. “If they wish to re-enter the program on Monday, they will be held to a higher accountability for their preparation in the playoff game in order to participate,†head coach Larry Neumann said. The announcement came on Wednesday afternoon that Cardenas and Forney were suspended from this game due to a “blatant disregard for the commitment to prepare.†Cardenas and Forney missed Tuesday’s workout and journeyed to Houston to watch the NBA game between Houston and Boston.... The Highland Park elementary school students will seek to pep up the Dogs today at 2:30. Friday’s NHS pep rally in the Dogdome will feature a special regional championship trophy presentation to the 1942 Bulldogs. Those regional champs will be recognized again at halftime of the NHS game with Lumberton... No major injuries were sustained at Vidor... Top grades belonged to Trey Terracina (89), Asa Cardenas (88), Wareall Grogan (87), and Ryan Brady (84).

Guest Brubaker

Shows their commitment to team, doesn't it.  Also shows their parents commitment to teaching their kids about the team as well and the importance of making a commitment.  It is sad that a coach has to act in their stead when teaching players that team comes first.

You should be careful of criticizing the way parents raise their kids on here, you'll find out that is a RIDICULOUS comment that you wish you could take back.

Shows their commitment to team, doesn't it.  Also shows their parents commitment to teaching their kids about the team as well and the importance of making a commitment.  It is sad that a coach has to act in their stead when teaching players that team comes first.

You should be careful of criticizing the way parents raise their kids on here, you'll find out that is a RIDICULOUS comment that you wish you could take back.

Second that...on the outside looking in...doesn't look good.  However, we don't know NEARLY enough information to start throwing parents under the bus.

Someone allowed them to go and hurt the team.  Whoever that someone is did not take the opportunity to teach a life lesson and allowed these players to put their selfish gains ahead of the team.  You can try and save face as parents but at some point in time it is the responsibility of an ADULT to teach their young people how to act and how to make good decisions.  My kids will screw up and so will yours and when they do it will be my fault as well as yours if we allow it to happen and look the other way.

Actually this is a dumb reason to suspend them for the entire game. Maybe a quarter or 2 if anything but not the entire game. The kids had tickets to an NBA game so why not go? God forbid they be teenagers and have a little fun every now and then. The Rockets vs Celtics would be a great game to go to so why pass up the oppurtunity. Maybe they wanted to go and support the Kendrick Perkins. Nothing wrong with that. Terrible decision to suspend them the entire game.

Someone allowed them to go and hurt the team.  Whoever that someone is did not take the opportunity to teach a life lesson and allowed these players to put their selfish gains ahead of the team.  You can try and save face as parents but at some point in time it is the responsibility of an ADULT to teach their young people how to act and how to make good decisions.  My kids will screw up and so will yours and when they do it will be my fault as well as yours if we allow it to happen and look the other way.

Isn't that life lesson being taught right now?  I think you've left the infield on this one unless you've got more information then we do.  Still can't see how you can call the parents out on this one.

Actually this is a dumb reason to suspend them for the entire game. Maybe a quarter or 2 if anything but not the entire game. The kids had tickets to an NBA game so why not go? God forbid they be teenagers and have a little fun every now and then. The Rockets vs Celtics would be a great game to go to so why pass up the oppurtunity. Maybe they wanted to go and support the Kendrick Perkins. Nothing wrong with that. Terrible decision to suspend them the entire game.

Hmmm...let's see...they made a commitment to the team and then they broke it.  I'm sure everyone has a wife who would understand this: "but honey, I had free tickets to the strip club."  Think you'd be "suspended for one quarter" in that scenario??

Guest Brubaker

Your Daddy, you gotta be kiddin me.  Where are you from?  You don't see an issue with ditchin a practice?  It's more than a couple of kids going to see a Rockets game, they let their team down, they didn't take care of their responsibilities, there are consequences for these actions, one game suspension is very appropriate in my mind.

Hmmm...let's see...they made a commitment to the team and then they broke it.  I'm sure everyone has a wife who would understand this: "but honey, I had free tickets to the strip club."  Think you'd be "suspended for one quarter" in that scenario??

First of all you dont have to buy a ticket to get into a strip club you just pay a cover charge and that is definitely not the same thing. I didnt say what they did was completely right of them i said its a terrible reason to suspend them the entire game. A quarter or 2 is plenty. Also, dont say they let their team down by missing 1 practice. You know as well as i do the other kids on that team prolyl werent bothered by them not being. They all went out and practiced and did what they were supposed to without losing any sleep over these 2 missing 1 practice. This is getting blown out of proportion

Actually this is a dumb reason to suspend them for the entire game. Maybe a quarter or 2 if anything but not the entire game. The kids had tickets to an NBA game so why not go? God forbid they be teenagers and have a little fun every now and then. The Rockets vs Celtics would be a great game to go to so why pass up the opportunity. Maybe they wanted to go and support the Kendrick Perkins. Nothing wrong with that. Terrible decision to suspend them the entire game.

First of all you dint have to buy a ticket to get into a strip club you just pay a cover charge and that is definitely not the same thing. I didn't say what they did was completely right of them i said its a terrible reason to suspend them the entire game. A quarter or 2 is plenty. Also, dint say they let their team down by missing 1 practice. You know as well as i do the other kids on that team prolyl we rent bothered by them not being. They all went out and practiced and did what they were supposed to without losing any sleep over these 2 missing 1 practice. This is getting blown out of proportion

They have a commitment to the team, let them get away with it and someone else will do the same thing.  Yes they did a very selfish thing and should be punished.

So you think the kids crept out of the window and their parents, guardians, adult, knew nothing about where they were going.  If that is the case I hope they are not only suspended for one game but grounded for a month for running away from home without letting their parents, guardian, or adult know where they were going.  Get real.  Someone knew they were going and instead of saying no you have practice this afternoon, they basically said go ahead, you don't need to practice with your team for a game coming up.  You can have fun and let your team mates get ready for the game.  

Isn't that life lesson being taught right now?  I think you've left the infield on this one unless you've got more information then we do.  Still can't see how you can call the parents out on this one.

[ due to a “blatant disregard for the commitment to prepare.â€

Dose not seem like a dumb reason to the coach.Commitment comes with a price and all involved should respect that commitment.The coaches respond shows the kids that this is a big deal.

Discipline and dedication are key components in TEAM. LACK of dedication REQUIRES discipline. That is why your program is one of the best in the area. It starts at the top. You should be proud of the LEADERSHIP shown by your coach. The guy is not even my team's coach, and I'm proud of him.

A NBA game?????

The NBA is dead!!!  I would understand if they went to a WNBA game to look at the girls, but NBA???  Fact is, they made a commitment to the team long before they got tickets to the Rockets game.  They knew they could not skip practice, that is why they did not say anything.  Either way, I think the punishment fits the crime and I think it stinks that Ned will not be at full force this friday night.  If Lumberton does win, I can hear the excuses now.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    TankParrish83
    Newest Member
    TankParrish83