What's it gonna take to get PNG back on track???

ndnfan

Some of us are looking for a real discussion about this.  If you go on the Indians site you get a lot of BS or deletions etc, so I bring it here.  Many on the other site feel if you question things that you are not "pro-kids".  The issue is we are pro-kids and thats why we care and why we question. 

PNG board members read (and post on) the other site constantly and it affects what is being posted or for how long it stays.

BTW, if you want to post about how much bigger or better you are or complain about officiating, then go to another thread.

Let the discussion begin....................................... any takers?

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, to me, the biggest concern is the play calling. It seems like every team in the district has got our number. Last night, the passing game was looking good for us in the first half.  Yet, we were still trying to run the ball (unsuccessfully) on third & long.

This is also the third game in a row that we have not been able to score in the second half. This concerns me.

Matt Burnett may have a target on his back.  But, it's not like this guy doesn't know how to win.  Since 1998, we have made playoff appearances 5 times (advancing to the State Championship game in 1999). Many people are questioning is the problem at the Junior High & Middle School levels? Are these coaches utilizing the talent correctly or just playing their buddy's kids?  I really can't speak to that. 

The problem is, no matter how much people gripe & complain about needing change, once that change is made, louder mouth pieces then complain that the "right" players are not being utilized. 

I don't think that one losing season should warrant the firing of a head coach.

Guest gladiator2

The same thing happens on this site. If you tell the truth than it gets deleted here also. When or if someone says something about firing the coach than it will be deleted very soon.

What is it gonna take....

ALWAYS BELIEVE

Never stop believing.

Every year can't be great.

Even LaMarque is down this year.

This is not college where you recruit your players, it is not the NFL where you can go and sign a free agent.

PN-G has the players it has and that is it.

Do the best you can and keep on believing!

GROW UP AND SUPPORT THE COACHES AND KIDS!

Complaining will get you no where!

Do you think the coaches are INTENTIONALLY not doing the best they can!

Burnett's staff is one of the few in the area that has coached a team in the state final.

The coaches spend hours and hours after practice trying to put the players in the best position to result in a victory.

The kids are giving all they can.

Just keep on believing.

PN-G will win at least one of their remaining games if not both.

I'ts ok yall are having a down year it happens to most every school at some point.  I think the best thing to do is not lose yalls pride and take the remaing games you got and try to win them and play spoiler and start a good foundation for next year and hopefully a sucessful playoff run.

From an outsiders perspective based on the one game I saw last night, If PNG shored up a few pass protection schemes at the half,  I felt you could have thrown on us for big numbers. That QB has an arm and made some impressive throws. Swing passes to the backs and middle crossing routes were there. When we committed the safeties for the crossing routes, the double move post or out routes would have been there. I'm a firm believer in making a team stop what you are doing best.

Matt Burnett and his staff definetely knows how to win, you cant immediately point the finger at the coaches. However, it is very difficult to lose when you are used to winning and it is quick to jump to conclusions as to why! No one wants to make accusations that the talent is not like it used to be, but could it be just that? Just asking.

Matt Burnett and his staff definetely knows how to win, you cant immediately point the finger at the coaches. However, it is very difficult to lose when you are used to winning and it is quick to jump to conclusions as to why! No one wants to make accusations that the talent is not like it used to be, but could it be just that? Just asking.

I believe the talent at PNG and most of the schools around the area is down a notch. Only school talent wise that has stayed the same is WOS, improved WB and Lumberton.

I think it's fair to say that with the exception of last year, PNG's talent level has not been what it used to be.  Overall, neither is Nederland's, but that staff just does more with it. 

I think it's fair to say that with the exception of last year, PNG's talent level has not been what it used to be.  Overall, neither is Nederland's, but that staff just does more with it. 

Wonder what Nederland's staff is doing with their not so good talent that PN-G is NOT? You can only do so much as a coach. I am hearing alot that PN-G is using the buddy system on the field. Is there alot of the BUDDY systems going on over there or are they truly playing the best kids in the best positions? A great coach, which I think Matt Burnett is, would not care if a kid is his best friends kid,or his brothers kid,etc... if hes no good for the position he plays, then MOVE HIM to where he can be best utilized!!!

Guest gladiator2

If they are not going to fire Burnett than he needs to go and find an offensive OC. Welch use to be a defensive coach and then he went to the offensive line and now he is the OC. Burnett is a defensive coach so it is not like he can take over the play-calling. There has been several of the coaches leave since the State championship season. The main one being M. Long and he definately has a offensive mind. People must remember also when Dustin Long was here he called his own plays at times. There are not many HS qb's that are capable of that. The talk of Burnett needing to be replaced has went on for years. This has been coming up for about the last 7 or 8 years. The direction at the middle school is in trouble. The coach that is coaching the 7th/8th graders is not a football coach, they say his specialty is basketball, but I doubt that because they don't run a offense, they just gather around the 3 point line and bombs away. Brevell is a good coach but he will be at the HS next year. You must have a good leader at the lower levels to have the kid's ready when they get to the 9th grade. Don't get wrong these coaches are good guys but when you don't do drills and work on fundamentals at practice than your team is in trouble. The 8th graders have not scored a TD yet this season and they have some big boys up front. The 7th graders are doing very good but they also have a lot of talent. They also have a lot of talent in the 9th and JV teams and to watch that go to waste another season will definately test my loyalty. I think Burnett could get the job done but he needs to clean house. He needs to get rid of the OC and DC, I think someone thought the coach on the field giving signals was the DC, the DC is in the press box. The coach on the field is Arnaud and he is a good coach. The DC came from HF and he pretty much got ran off from there from what I was told today. We have a lot of talent coming back so the future is bright, but I also know that Ned, Lum, and Vidor have bright futures. Lumbertons youth program is 2nd to none.

If they are not going to fire Burnett than he needs to go and find an offensive OC. Welch use to be a defensive coach and then he went to the offensive line and now he is the OC. Burnett is a defensive coach so it is not like he can take over the play-calling. There has been several of the coaches leave since the State championship season. The main one being M. Long and he definately has a offensive mind. People must remember also when Dustin Long was here he called his own plays at times. There are not many HS qb's that are capable of that. The talk of Burnett needing to be replaced has went on for years. This has been coming up for about the last 7 or 8 years. The direction at the middle school is in trouble. The coach that is coaching the 7th/8th graders is not a football coach, they say his specialty is basketball, but I doubt that because they don't run a offense, they just gather around the 3 point line and bombs away. Brevell is a good coach but he will be at the HS next year. You must have a good leader at the lower levels to have the kid's ready when they get to the 9th grade. Don't get wrong these coaches are good guys but when you don't do drills and work on fundamentals at practice than your team is in trouble. The 8th graders have not scored a TD yet this season and they have some big boys up front. The 7th graders are doing very good but they also have a lot of talent. They also have a lot of talent in the 9th and JV teams and to watch that go to waste another season will definately test my loyalty. I think Burnett could get the job done but he needs to clean house. He needs to get rid of the OC and DC, I think someone thought the coach on the field giving signals was the DC, the DC is in the press box. The coach on the field is Arnaud and he is a good coach. The DC came from HF and he pretty much got ran off from there from what I was told today. We have a lot of talent coming back so the future is bright, but I also know that Ned, Lum, and Vidor have bright futures. Lumbertons youth program is 2nd to none.

I agree with you on your statement about the Longs. Dustin was an AWESOME QB. So if there is this much trouble with the staff why is the school not cleaning house? I dont get it. What are they waiting for? I dont live in Port Neches anymore, so I'm the outsider looking in, but I love that team and I hate to see this happen to such a great football town. I wish the best for PNG.

Guest gladiator2

People have made comments that they gave us a new stadium so we ought to be happy! I believe it is the other way around we're the ones that are paying for the stadium and then alot of things are being left off that were initially were suppose to be there. The top of the press box will not even be used for games. I agree with someone else's post about the stadiums in Dallas, they are unbelievable. I went to Grapevine and their stadium cost them 8.5 million and it is awesome which ours will be great too after it is complete. What a lot of you don't know is the kid's that we are losing due to the coaching. We lost the top 8th grade athlete in the Mid-County last year because the parents did not like what was going on. There were 3 other ones that left before school started this year and I know of 3 that are leaving after this school year. The rule that a kid can go to school where the parent works has made things real easy for this to happen. People that live in Nederland and PNG pay high taxes and the property values are high so some people believe that their words should be heard.

24x7, you are on to something about kids moving in and out.  Folks see what's going on in one place or another and they want to be a part of it.  I think people are going to want to be a part of what's going on in Lumberton, they aren't going away, they will be the next powerhouse football team in this area. 

The older most experienced coaches for GMS and PNMS have either retired, moved to other positions or just not coaching anymore. These schools have lost some great coaches that helped teached these kids the fundamentals of the game. I remember yrs past the Coach Mays, Coach Beaumont and Coach Keith put out some great Junior High teams that were fundamentaly sound. We don't have that type of coaching at that level anymore.

The older most experienced coaches for GMS and PNMS have either retired, moved to other positions or just not coaching anymore. These schools have lost some great coaches that helped teached these kids the fundamentals of the game. I remember yrs past the Coach Mays, Coach Beaumont and Coach Keith put out some great Junior High teams that were fundamentaly sound. We don't have that type of coaching at that level anymore.

We definetly need to get some coaches at the MS level cuz PNMS and GMS have some talent coming in from the STJFL and with some fine tuning from a great coach could pay some dividends by the time they get to HS, esp if we have a offensive minded coach there are some great kids coming up from QBs to RBs,WRs,TEs and some kids on"D" that will just flat lay people out. Our youth program is 2nd to none also. Didnt Welch run the "D" last year? We got kids on the team that are already running the option, and our coach is giving the QBs the option to run their own plays at times.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    TankParrish83
    Newest Member
    TankParrish83