how much power does athletic director have?

someone who knows more about the "mechanics" behind how a high school runs please shed some light on this subject:

When a new A.D. ( aka football coach ) is hired at a high school, how much power does he have in hiring/bringing-in new coaches?  How many can he typically bring with him?

I ask this question because some have blamed their coach's failure on lack of support from the administration...

someone who knows more about the "mechanics" behind how a high school runs please shed some light on this subject:

When a new A.D. ( aka football coach ) is hired at a high school, how much power does he have in hiring/bringing-in new coaches?  How many can he typically bring with him?

I ask this question because some have blamed their coach's failure on lack of support from the administration...

I am not sure how much the Admin. has to do with it, probably more of how much $$ is left in the A.D.'s Budget.  I would think that the coaches salaries would have to figure into the dept.'s budget and as to how much he can spend per Asst.

I think it depends on what agreement the AD comes into the job with. The admin can set whatever parameters they wish. I am sure that most AD's have some leeway and some have all that they wish. It just depends on where they are offered a job and whose job the district wants to protect.

Budget doesn't have anything to do with hiring assistants.  Teaching jobs available plays an important part.  I have seen some ADs come in and have free reign to assemble the staff they want.  This may involve reassigning present coaches to lower (freshman or JV or even junior high positions) to make room for varsity assistants.  I have also seen ADs come in and the adiministration put a freeze on the staff, meaning no changes can be made for a year.  It just depends on the school board and admin and how bad they want a certain coach for AD.  e

An A-D is only as good as his assistants. It puts a bad taste in your mouth if you arent able to hire people you trust and know when you go into a new situation. Administration needs to understand that hiring coaches for the AD is just like them hiring Teachers. All schools have Stipends already set for asst. coaches and that is how much they will get paid for coaching, but bmtdc1996 is absolutley correct when he says that hiring coaches usually depends on which teaching field is open in the school.

i went to watch buna & kountze play a couple of weeks ago & watched the kountze head coach

hodges question a very poor pass interference call. then after about 2 or 3 minutes the trainer

went out to help him off the field, back to the side line. i noticed not much resistance to the trainer

& asked a friend,a players parent what tha heck. he informed me that the trainer was also the

athletic director  ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? :o :o :o :o :o:( :( :( ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? this cant

be right or normal,is it. ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???. if so,i would hate to see the trainer/ad not take

care of the teams physical needs to try and multi-task such other things as showing his authority

during a game, to help mr. hodges to the side lines. seems politics or other backwards policies are

in effect here. hodges finally gets things going in right direction, seems he should be able to run all athletics like most coaches do. ??? maybe hes not qualified ??? ???

I agree with TheCardinalFan, inthis Kountze situation, one can only assume that the "AD/Trainer" was using his authority to get the coach to the sidelines.  Everyone sees an assistant coach go out and try to diffuse a situation like that all the time so there is no telling what they were talking about. 

IF by some chance an AD (who is not the football head coach) is trying (during a game no less) to control the situation there are serious problems in that school. 

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    kofajas476
    Newest Member
    kofajas476