Best running back in 23-2a??

Seems like ths post was started for some self-gratification by the Hardin boys. If Mitch is the man, why did he only have 100 yards against Anahuac?  He still has to lineup against Buna, Kountze and Deweyville.  No doubt, the EC game was big for him and congrats on one helluva game.  Once again this district is shaping up to be an anybodys' guess as to who makes the playoffs.  Good luck to all 23-2A teams!

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You cant make a living off of running over people.  You have to be able to make people miss because most of the time when you try to run over someone you end up on the ground as well.  It is called versatility and the stelly kid doesnt have much. 

I guess some one should have told Earl Campbell you couldn't make a living running over people. I don't remember him making people miss, just running over them. Now don't get all excited, I in NO way mean the Stelly kid is another Earl. OK?? I am just pointing out you can be a good running back by just running over people and getting 5-7 yards a carry. I know that's what he did in the EC game and I know coaches love to have backs like that. Is the best back in this district, probably not but he is a good one.

100 yards is not bad, never said that.  But if he was such a hoss, wouldn't he have carried you to a win at Anahuac?  This is 2A football, anything can happen on any given night.  That is why you will seldom find me predicting or talking smack about whoopin' up on certain teams.  High school football and especially this distirct is too hard to predict.  Mitch is an excellent RB and we can't wait to see him later this season.

I've seen most of these guys play, and I have to lean towards Blanton Craft from Buna being the best running back of the district. He's got great vision, quick feet, and pretty good break away speed. He's not afraid to run someone over if he has to, to finish a play. I think Villamez is the best overall athelte of the guys being mentioned. He's definitely a kid anyone would want to have on their team do to his versatility. Stelly is a big, strong guy who's put together like a tank. As far as being a great running back, no way. He's stiff, lacks vision and he doesnt' know what a cut is. He does run through arm tackles and is a load when he gets loose in the secondary. He's a MUCH better linebacker than he is RB. I haven't seen the McNeil kid from Anahauc play, but from what I hear, he's the real deal too. He may be better than all of these guys. The Raymond kid from EC is a darn good back as well, but just not ready for prime time. He's got it in his genes to be a great one though. Raymond looks the part of a star running back moreso than any other of these players. Williams and Wise of Kountze (don't know which is which) On is just a speed back that doesnt' bring a whole lot more to the table, but hey, you can't teach speed and he's got plenty of it. The other is a bruiser similar to Stelly, but probably not as tough. I haven't seen Craft play this season, so I'm basing it on what I saw last year when he was just a stud, and I'm sure he's probably improved. Not intimidating, no size, speed, or athleticism that just jumps out at ya, but he just has it. Just my .02 cents.

Craft is the same if not then he's better....
No. You should go quote some Vollyball. I'm sure you could say something that was intelligent in that section. Craft is a quick elusive back but being the full package no he is not. First off he isn't big enough he makes up for that in heart and will to play BUT that want be enough come playoff time when he gets away from the boys 23 2A then they will see kids that are just to big and to fast. Look across at 22 2A at Newton Kirbyville lets see him out run or make cuts on people that are on their line and in their secondaries. Jackson, Jackson, Ervine, Burley, and Musgrove it just wont happen for him. Newton has players of the same caliber if not some better.

craft has played with and against these boys before and has had success nothing will change. just get over it. CRAFT IS STRAIGHT UP LEGIT!!!!!!!!!!

He is good but his stats want be as good when he plays teams that are good. Let him play some one with D like Newton and Kirbyville

as far as Villemez not getting that many yards against Anahuac...I seem to recall that Hardin did not run the same game plan as the EC game.  There was more attempts at passing in the Anahuac game.  In the EC game, they opened up the running playbook, from the wishbone to the I formation.  Very few passes in that game...  Point is that the offense did not really give Villemez a lot of carries in the Anahuac game. 

Haven't seen Craft play so I can't say anything about him.  D. Raymond from EC didn't look the same as last year...maybe not having T. Thomas hurt him?  McNeil (Anahuac) is a hoss and if they take a page from the Hardin/EC game then they might beat EC.

No. You should go quote some Vollyball. I'm sure you could say something that was intelligent in that section. Craft is a quick elusive back but being the full package no he is not. First off he isn't big enough he makes up for that in heart and will to play BUT that want be enough come playoff time when he gets away from the boys 23 2A then they will see kids that are just to big and to fast. Look across at 22 2A at Newton Kirbyville lets see him out run or make cuts on people that are on their line and in their secondaries. Jackson, Jackson, Ervine, Burley, and Musgrove it just wont happen for him. Newton has players of the same caliber if not some better.

Do you have something against craft i mean good lordy if someone says one good thing about him your there with a negative what did he beat you in a race or somethin geez he's good and you know it your just to immature to addmit it cause you know your wrong....

Do you have something against craft i mean good lordy if someone says one good thing about him your there with a negative what did he beat you in a race or somethin geez he's good and you know it your just to immature to addmit it cause you know your wrong....

Thats not what it is he is good and I have nothing against him but to say he is as good as backs in 22 2A thats crazy.

Craft has had success every year against Newton. Jus throwing that out there. They have beatin the crap out of us but he does his part. We haven't had the team to match up with them. The past two years he has had very little carries against them. In the scrimmage last year he ran all over them. I just hope he is the same when he comes back.

Craft has had success every year against Newton. Jus throwing that out there. They have beatin the crap out of us but he does his part. We haven't had the team to match up with them. The past two years he has had very little carries against them. In the scrimmage last year he ran all over them. I just hope he is the same when he comes back.

Thats funny because how i have always seen it is Barbay isnt an idiot he has a gameplan going into evey week he plays. You dont think its weird Buna ran all over them in a scrimmage and not in playoffs?? Just throwin that out there!!!

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder