PN-GROVES AT BARBERS HILL

KICKOFF TIME

The Port Arthur News

• When: Friday, 7:30 p.m.

• Where: Eagle Stadium, Mont Belvieu

• Records: Season opener

• Series: First meeting

• Radio: KCOL-FM (92.5)

• Indians capsule: After struggling at Jasper and progressing at Port Arthur Memorial, 15th-year head coach Matt Burnett's road warriors hit I-10 to open the 84th season of Port Neches Indian football (53rd as PN-G) with virtually a whole new defense. It's going to be up to free safety Jacob Lynch, and corners Tyler Gizzi and Shea McElduff to cover a busy Barbers Hill spread offense.... Tribe will need major help from SS Alex Gaspard and outside backers Tyler Wright and Blake Brooks to pay attention to the wide variety of Eagles' receivers... Running backs Josh Wright (100 yards) and Caleb Harmon (98 yards) each had effective scrimmages at Memorial, and they operated behind a veteran blocking front of Lloyd McLin, Tanner Ross, Jerin Spikes and Dillon Harrison. PN-G has plenty of new faces at wide receiver, paced by Kyler Segura, Spencer DeRon, Justin Segielski and McElduff.

• Eagles capsule: Don Price inaugurates his 10th head-coaching season at Barbers Hill tonight as well as the school's third campaign in Class 4A. The Eagles return six offensive and five defensive starters from a 6-4 season but they have graduates from an 8-2 junior varsity, along with 11 returnees. Price is deploying the spead offense to accent the passing accuracy of senior QB Tony Carmona (5-11, 165), a second team 21-4A all-district QB in 2007. Two other second team 21-4A all-league offensive selections were senior wide receiver Jay Burditt (6-0, 175) and offensive guard Jake Ponder (5-8, 240). As with PN-G, Barbers Hill begins the year younger on defense with Ponder and senior Eric Comeaux serving as anchors up front. Price will try to counter PN-G air efforts with an all-senior secondary of Matthew Viverette and Heath Padgett at corners, Kevin Johnson and Jordan Stelly at safety.

• Burnett says: "I think we've grown up a lot in the last three weeks, especially defensively. And we've got to continue building on that in the next weeks before we start district. I think we're ready to play a game. We definitely have a lot of new faces but they're coming together as a team.... It certainly helps to enter the season with an experienced quarterback and Harrison Tatum is a two-year starter who knows our offense real well.... Their quarterback (Tony Carmona) does a real good job. They're in the spread with a one back and they like to run it out of the spread... Carmona is a real thrower and their (offensive) coordinator (Dwayne) Nunez is from Port Neches... They run mainly a 50 defense...

• Price says: "PN-G always is well-coached and they have tremendous tradition. This will definitely be a real challenge for Barbers Hill. We did not win either of our scrimmages (against Cleveland and Pasadena Memorial) and we're certainly going to have to get a lot better. You've got to pardon my sense of humor but we're a real spread offense. We try to hide out so nobody can find us. There's a lot of young players on our squad who are freshmen and sophomores and they're really getting their first taste of varsity football in this game."

PN-G OFFENSE

SE -- Kyler Segura (45)

LT -- Lloyd McLin (51)

LG -- Lindon Hightower (72)

C -- Tanner Ross (55)

Dusting off the official BHFAN game day clothing as we speek ;D Calling all of my police friends to shut down the Trinity River bridge right after the PNG busses pass over ;D

Good idea BHFAN. The purples are really looking to stir the place up. My game day clothing must have shrunk over the past year though. It seems to get tighter year after year.

Dusting off the official BHFAN game day clothing as we speek ;D Calling all of my police friends to shut down the Trinity River bridge right after the PNG busses pass over ;D

Good idea BHFAN. The purples are really looking to stir the place up. My game day clothing must have shrunk over the past year though. It seems to get tighter year after year.

Dang Women always cleaning our clothes in to hot of water ;D

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SVD Beaumont
    Newest Member
    SVD Beaumont