Broncos ready for Bay City opener

BHFAN

Broncs ready for Bay City opener

By Jerry Michalsky

Contributor 

Published August 25, 2008

DAYTON — Rain forced school officials to push back Thursday’s scheduled scrimmage between Dayton and Lumberton to a Saturday morning kickoff.

Even though it was hot and the sun was out Saturday, it probably looked to the Raiders like it was still raining as Dayton showed why they are state ranked.

The Broncos rained down a 41-7 beating on Lumberton.

“We played pretty good on the defensive side,†Dayton head coach Jerry Stewart said. “We need to watch the film and make some adjustments, but I thought we played pretty well defensively.â€

It was Lumberton’s Raiders who gave the Broncos their only district loss last year with an 8-7 victory in Lumberton. That would be the last loss for Dayton before putting together a 10-game winning streak that extended to the state semifinals and a loss to eventual state champ Lake Travis.

Cody Green and A.J. Dugat showed Saturday why they are one of the most potent quarterback-receiver combos in the state, and they did it in only a half of football.

The two hooked up for two scores and 179 yards in receptions. The only blemish for the first-team offense was on its opening possession, a three-and-out.

The Dayton defense then recorded the first of seven sacks to force the Raiders to punt the ball back to the Broncos.

Dayton scored on its next five possessions.

“I thought offensively we played pretty well,†said Stewart. “Cody and A.J. looked like they were in mid-season form today.

“We wanted to get all of our kids on tape today and we accomplished what we wanted, too.â€

Green ran 61 yards on the next play after the punt to give Dayton a 7-0 lead.

On the next series, Green and Dugat connected for 43 yards down to the Lumberton 15-yard line and then two plays later the duo connected on a 12-yard touchdown pass to make it 14-0.

Evan Brown recovered a fumble on the first Raider offensive play and Dayton was in business again. On the next play it was the Green-to-Dugat combo hitting from 36 yards out and another score.

Lumberton followed with its only significant drive of the day and marched 70 yards for a score.

The Broncos quickly answered as Green hit Payton Ploch from 34 yards out with 9:22 left in the second quarter.

Green hit Dugat for a 40-yard pass play down to the Lumberton three-yard line. From there, Green tossed to Terry Asson to make it 35-7.

The scoring ended late in the third quarter as Zach Crowder hit Ploch from 65 yards out for the final score of the game.

The Broncos open the season at home Friday against Bay City.

“They have a rich tradition of winning down there,†Stewart said. “They have a new coach and I am sure they will come here well prepared.â€

Bay City welcomes back 11 starters from last year with eight of them on the defensive side of the ball. Leading the charge will be linebacker Iris Norris, all-district a season ago with 102 tackles. 

I think the Ploch kid is gonna have a good year. It looks like he will take some pressure off of A.J., along with a couple others.

Yall just need to stop hogging all of the talent and send some folks down South! I know of a little community that would welcome them with open arms ;D

Geez, thats kinda funny. Most Lumberton fans have been silent about that scrimmage. That should be a great game for Dayton against Bay City. The Stingarees will bring the heat, but I think Dayton will bring the fire extinguisher and put out Bay City.

You are thinking about Texas City I think. Bay City is the Black Cats. Those darn 5a guys!  lol.

Geez, thats kinda funny. Most Lumberton fans have been silent about that scrimmage. That should be a great game for Dayton against Bay City. The Stingarees will bring the heat, but I think Dayton will bring the fire extinguisher and put out Bay City.

You are thinking about Texas City I think.  Bay City is the Black Cats. Those darn 5a guys!  lol.

:o Ooops......you're right! My bad! :-X :-[

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    cfbswami
    Newest Member
    cfbswami