Interested In Being Part Of The Lamar Football Experience?

Guest coachacola

Guest coachacola

Hopefully this not the way we are going to recruit.  How many potential athletes know of this site.

This is probably for current and future students who want to walk-on.

I am sure that with as much as we have heard about the walk on program, Coach Woodard will make it easily accessible to the student body.  The internet site is one way of doing that.  Who knows what he has planned to do on campus to get the word out as well.  Ads in the University Press, flyers on walls and message boards, all kind of stuff he can do.

Plus, I think the guys that are even condiering trying to walk on that are already on campus have probably heard about the program.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest abovetherim

There will be a great turnout. I've heard of five young men from one HS who graduated the same year talking about walking on. Their HS team made the playoffs.

There will be a great turnout. I've heard of five young men from one HS who graduated the same year talking about walking on. Their HS team made the playoffs.

There is no direct correlation.   For example, academia.  Does being in the top 10% of your graduating class mean that you will make the Dean's list every semester?  What if someone is in the bottom 25% of their class.  This doesn't mean they're doomed in college.  The below average high school senior could graduate from college in four years and go to law school. Look at SAT scores.  It should be noted that Notre Dame coach Charlie Weiss scored a perfect 1600 on his SAT. (2400 scale now?)  The Irish were terrible last year.

Guest abovetherim

There is no direct correlation.  Use academia for an example.  Does being in the top 10% of your graduating class mean that you will make the Dean's list every semester?  What if someone is in the bottom 25% of their class.  This doesn't guarantee unsatisfactory results at the college level.  The below average student in grades 9-12 could graduate from college in four years and go to law school.

I only made mention of the one school because there has been discussion about a lack of information for young men interested in walking on to the football team. Obviously, the word is getting out. Of the five young men, only one received a scholarhip offer to my knowledge. So, I wasn't thinking they were blue chip prospects. I just think they are young men looking for an opportunity.

There is no direct correlation.  Use academia for an example.  Does being in the top 10% of your graduating class mean that you will make the Dean's list every semester?  What if someone is in the bottom 25% of their class.  This doesn't guarantee unsatisfactory results at the college level.  The below average student in grades 9-12 could graduate from college in four years and go to law school.

I just felt like arguing about something.  Give TT a breather!

I only made mention of the one school because there has been discussion about a lack of information for young men interested in walking on to the football team. Obviously, the word is getting out. Of the five young men, only one received a scholarhip offer to my knowledge. So, I wasn't thinking they were blue chip prospects. I just think they are young men looking for an opportunity.

Guest coachacola

Interesting thoughts on Lamar football from our friend McTailGator from another forum:

IMO, they will bring in a ton of JuCo's in 09 and Red Shirt them along with a bunch of high school kids that may have gone the JuCo route in order for them to grow a little. Look for them to sign about 40 kids in February and RS them for the 09 season. Then they will sign another 40 or so in 2010, and even RS a few of them for the 2010 season, which will help them in 2011. and 2012 alot.

Also, Lamar is already full of former HS kids capable of adding depth to a team that may not have necessarily wanted to leave home and just gave up football and went to Lamar.

They will have no problem finding talent in the triangle.

They can sign some quality players who are Props in 09 and 10 from low income families, and help them out by helping them to get PEL Grants to pay for their school, which will still count as a third of a scholarship, but will not cost the program a dime. The Beaumont area is a HUGE Blue Collar area, A lot of those kids would easily qualify for a PEL Grant. GOOD MOVE... IMO

Those PROP's can get some one on one attention at a school the size of Lamar, and if they don't have to concentrate on Football for an entire year, they should have no problem getting eligible before the 2010 season.

McNeese recruits the Beaumont area heavily, but we can not touch any of those (outstanding) Props because our school has a rule about granting academic standard waivers to out of state residents. Any school that excepts federal dollars has to take kids from economically depressed backgrounds that might not meet the NCAA ACT requirements. Or that might not have taken the right classes in High School.

The FBS schools like Texas A&M, UT, Texas Tech, don't need to recruit those kids, who could easily play on a BCS team. If a kid is close to making a grade, they usually end up at a JuCo. Lamars coach can go get those players and keep them away from the Juco's and take advantage of a source that was previously un tapped or taboo.

McNeese limits those to In-State Props. And we do a VERY good job at getting them qualified and even graduating them 5 years later. Being a small school with only 8,000 students gives them some pretty small class sizes to get some personal attention.

Lamar will be able to tap a source that no one else could.

Rest here: http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/showthread.php?t=41565&page=2

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder