who's next

Guest Orangeboy

Wayne Mahaffey

Has coached mainly baseball and football most of his career. Coached under Coach Chuck Young back in the 70s.

You telling me HF has landed Wayne Mahaffey the AD/Head Football Coach from Rusk the last 9 years. The same Wayne Mahaffey that was a finalist for the Diboll head football/AD job on Monday and already has been hired at HF today on Wednesday??? The same Wayne Mahaffey that coached at BC with Chuck Young during the 80's when he was a OC? If I am not mistaken COach Mahaffey won a state championship at a small school in the early 1990's? How was HF able to get him???

I understand your analogy but why does a guy with all that time and experience as a AD/HD FB coach take an assistant FB/Head Baseball job at HF??? But main questions is tru and is it official??? I'd say a great hire all the way around for HF. I would call it the biggest hire in the Golden Triangle for a school this hiring season. JMO but if this is true this is a great impressive hire by the administration.

Just using a little humor fish......the answers to why could be limitless......I do know schools want to make their hires before going to coaching school ......and no coach want to have to find a job at coaching school........  and the end of July is vastly approaching........

Years of experience alone will help HF in both sports

If this is true, what has happened to promoting within at HF?  Every head baseball coach except Kevin Davis (96 season) since Gary Kay (early 90's) has come from within; Gary Kay, Mike Sims, Kevin Davis, Sam Pratt, Jeff Barker, and Chad Landry.  Some great coaches on this list, and everyone stepped up to take the reigns and lead the program to sucess.

I don't understand what has changed...  ??? Some one please help me understand why one of the coaches on the staff is not being promoted.

I don't know this coach and he may be great, but this was our concern from the get go is that the AD would go out and get a football guy and say 'oh yea, here's the baseball team too.'  Just wondering why we can't have a baseball guy for the baseball team.

If this is true, what has happened to promoting within at HF?  Every head baseball coach except Kevin Davis (96 season) since Gary Kay (early 90's) has come from within; Gary Kay, Mike Sims, Kevin Davis, Sam Pratt, Jeff Barker, and Chad Landry.  Some great coaches on this list, and everyone stepped up to take the reigns and lead the program to sucess.

I don't understand what has changed...  ??? Some one please help me understand why one of the coaches on the staff is not being promoted.

Am I really hearing this correct??? Are there people actually complaining about this hire? You don't know what has changed? For one thing the people, are any of those coaches above interested in the job (Sims, Kay, etc.). That is the first thing that has changed. Secondly, promoting from within ain't always the best decision, so you don't do it just because this is the way it has been done before. And last, are you really complaining about this hire, if it is true???? Or are you mad because you didn't get the job???? Because this guy is a great coach, period, not just football, not just baseball, but a great coach, and you are not happy. Wow, what a world.

Besides, if the assistants that didn't get the job are really as good as you think, they should help OVERCOME THIS COACHES "Inadequancies" in the area of baseball, but if they really wanted to become head coaches they would really try and learn from this guy.

Just a football guy??? Questioning this hire, and the AD's motives on hiring a coach with his background??? Very, very, unfair, and uninformed, to say the least.

Fisherking, you may very well be right.  Like I said, I know nothing about this guy.  Was not complaining, just asking questions.  I hope he is everything I've heard on this site about him.  We look forward to some great baseball in the future!!

H-F has very good assistant baseball coaches that definately could have done a great job.  Jason Keeney is one I know well and he will be a head baseball coach someday probably sooner than later.  I will not get into the discussion of how H-F selects their staff.  That being said, Wayne Mehaffey IS a baseball guy.  He will do a great job with the baseball program and football as well.  H-F made a wise move to fortify their athletic department.

I don't know this coach and he may be great, but this was our concern from the get go is that the AD would go out and get a football guy and say 'oh yea, here's the baseball team too.'  Just wondering why we can't have a baseball guy for the baseball team.

Baseballfan43:

For the HF community's sake, I hope all this talk is true about Coach Mahaffey being the hire.

And no disrespect intended, but I couldn't your original post in anyway but a complaint, and I have no dog in this fight!! Your exact words were "...but this was our concern from the get go is that the AD would go out and get a football guy and say 'oh yea, here's the baseball team too.'  Just wondering why we can't have a baseball guy for the baseball team."

If that wasn't a very unfair complaint against the hire and AD's choice, then I will apologize but there was no other way to take it in my eyes. I will tell you what, if you guys don't want him as your baseball coach, we will take him. TRUST is what makes the world worth living, and I don't know all the history but where did you lose the trust of the people making these decisions? Has the current AD and administration hired others in the past that gave you your distrust? Because I will say it again, if this is truly for real, you should be applauding those people.

And swampdude, I do not know the current assistants, so I have no reason to or intention of disrespecting their abilities with my words, only that they can truly learn alot from a man with his experience, which will make them better head coaches when it's their time. JMO

maybe...just maybe....having 6 (that have been listed above) coaches in the past approx. 18 years was not working............what is the level of success that has been reached?  Maybe expectations are changing.......and just maybe for the better........and this hire effects me in no way shape or form either!!

list the qualifications the younger assistance have.....and leave out where they are from and who they played for in high school.............lets see whats being over looked??.......

I bet if you take the time to sit in the AD's shoes, you would see, the entire athletic program at your school just got better from the Starting QB to the kid who thinks a cup is nose protector..........

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    cfbswami
    Newest Member
    cfbswami